A question the Axeman didn't really swing at. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A question the Axeman didn't really swing at.

There is no question that a losing season strengthens the perception that 2018 was an anomaly and will certainly be used against us by rival recruiters. In general, though, I think the media, University and community fully realize that whatever happens on the field this year is colored by the environment and distractions that we prepare and play under and don;t think any definitive judgements will come out of it. I would not be surprised to see significant players opt out not only at Syracuse but across the college football landscape.

I'm a bit confused by one of your points: "arguably the 5 most difficult games on the road, (three vs. teams we played on the road last year :mad:), " We hosted Clemson and Pitt and didn't play UNC or Notre Dame, so Louisville is the only opponent we will play on the road in back to back seasons. Conversely we get BC and Wake home for a second straight year. If the 2021 rotation stays in place that would mean the same venue in 3 straight years for those opponents. I assume that might be addressed.

You're right. I confused it with 2018. My mind hasn't been on football for a while and my image of the 2019 season has been reduced to Trill Williams stealing the ball from Wake.

There is zero point in continuing to change coaches. Dino is a proven good coach...if he can’t win here, neither can anybody else that we can get.

He’s a good coach and a good guy and a credit to the university, and he should be here as long as he wants to be.

*I do think Dino will win here too. He already led us to our best season in 17 years.

I will say this, and as I stated earlier, I'm in no rush to move on from Dino. But another losing year or so does change things. If you are Syracuse University and assuming no fans at the Dome this year, and who knows where we will be a year from now probably with no fans again or limited fans...WHENEVER we are back to normal and fans can go to games like "the old days"...if Dino has 1 winning season on his resume and that's it, he is TOAST!

The last thing Syracuse University wants is this fancy new stadium they spent so much time and money on with a bad team and no fans in attendance for football games in the fall.

And everyone can say SU won't want to fire him and eat that contract and the AD won't do it...we have NO CLUE what this AD will do as he is going through all of this for the first time and he didn't hire Dino.

So while I am fully on "Team Dino"...there is the real life aspect of this we all need to realize and stop thinking SU is so poor they can't fire anyone or they won't based off what previous people have done in years past.
Well stated - this is a bottom line business and leader of men, great character and rep for the program etc., do not top the W and L percentage. Eventually he has to win here or he will need to go. My hope is he can obviously.

I think the measuring stick here is more qualitative than quantitative

This season is going to be a gauntlet of testing, safety precautions, limited practice time, and last minute changes. A coach that can navigate all those obstacles deserves credit, and Dino should be up for the challenge. It will require a very good working relationship with the players, and treating them like human beings.

If we show up to play every week and seem well prepared, I will be happy. Maybe we have to play some games without key players who test positive. Maybe we have a borderline decision to forfeit a game, and Dino has to be involved in that call

Recruits will be watching and noticing which programs do this well. That is the key to the future.

Still not really getting an answer to my question(s):

What do you think will be the attitude toward what happens on the field this season of
A) the University
B) the community
C) the media and
D) the recruits
A: I believe they understand the issues that this season has an will be willing to give a pass.

B. I belive as long as the team has fight the community will give a pass.

c. The media. Chasing a headline, will label him on the hot seat if he doesn’t do good. Circumstance be darned.

d. Depending on how he handles himsel during the season in terms of taking care of the kids will determine whether players will turn on the program in terms of future recruits.

mess this what you wanted? SWC75

In addition I frankly hate how W/L is worth more then every other factor. I’d rather go 5/7-7/5 every year and graduate everyone and get the occasional draft pick then win a lot and have a bunch of character issues and disqualified players just to have on field sucess. There is a definite way to be the best off the field and do good on it

Well, you must listen to him if you know he uses an "old man" voice.

Other than that, this is the type of answer I was looking for.
I listened to him and that voice probably 8 years ago on a semi-regular basis till I gave up and haven't listened since. I find his knowledge of sports can be put into a thimble. His show prep comes off as opening up the USA TODAY sports section and just reading headlines. I got nothing out of his shows. No insight or value.

In addition I frankly hate how W/L is worth more then every other factor. I’d rather go 5/7-7/5 every year and graduate everyone and get the occasional draft pick then win a lot and have a bunch of character issues and disqualified players just to have on field sucess. There is a definite way to be the best off the field and do good on it
Fans don't pay $30 a ticket or whatever it costs to watch kids take a math test and pass. I know what your saying but its unrealistic and nobody cares about GPA averages and kids graduating. Being a head coach at a Power 5 school is a results-oriented business. Win or else.

Every job in any walk of life has expectations and as a football head coach it is clearly laid out. WIN...or else. It's not like Dino didn't know what he signed up for or was walking into when he took this job.

I understand your point, but it's unrealistic. This is a business and he is graded on wins. Not like the bar has changed or moved since he has been hired.

I will say this, and as I stated earlier, I'm in no rush to move on from Dino. But another losing year or so does change things.
True, but this season wouldn't count unless they only had one or two wins.

2021 will count, and will count a lot. The new coordinators should be well in place by then.
Bleich will definitely be available for the OL. Tommy should be at his peak.

If the schedule stays in place then there should be 4 OOC wins: @Ohio, Rutgirls, Liberty & Albany
Add wins over Wake, NC State and at least one of BCU, Pitt & Loserville and we should be in good shape.
A 7 or 8 win season (or more in Tommy's last year) followed by another 7+ win season with a new QB and things will definitely be trending in the right direction. *

* and no, I have not been drinking, yet... ;)

The university and community will support Dino.

I don't give a damn what the media says (about this or anything else)

As for recruits: emphasize to them that Syracuse is playing one of the toughest road schedules in the country this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom