A question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A question

I don't believe it is reasonable to think that any freshmen center would be better in our defense than a guy who has been in the system two years. Noel is a shoot blocker but he can easily do that from the 4 spot, our centers call out the defensive sets and every freshmen struggles with it. The fact that DC2 is Mcd's AA should not factor into anything nor the fact that he won't be here 4 yrs matter either. (Rak and Melo were Mc'ds AA and both struggled big time) .If he can't run the floor he can't play why waste the year? BMK knows the Defense runs like a deer, and should be able to put on 20lbs in the off season. List the group from fastest to slowest who is coming in last? The best way to score on a zone is to beat it down court!
First, unreasonable to think any frosh could be better than a two year player? Come on, certainly depends on the players. And, in this case, we are talking about the Number 1 ranked player in the country. Comparisons are being made to Bill Russell. What are you going to say "Sorry Mr Russell but we got this junior Billy Celuck manning the middle, you're going to have to wait".

As for McDs not mattering, you need to get with the times. I'm glad JB has. If they come with the hype, you need to be careful in how you treat them. Fab started through his disasterous frosh year. Now XMas will get token starts throughout. DC2 will start. What he does from there will depend on how ready he is. DC2 is not redshirting.

If AO had enough speed to play, DC2 will be able to match that.

I don't see how percentage estimates apply here. Neither Fab nor DC2 will play the 4 for us next year -- one is 7 feet, the other is 6'10 280. They're centers. Keita is capable of moving over, but JB won't use him there b/c he can't score the ball. I like Keita's energy, but his play has regressed this year (along with his minutes). Next year, if Melo returns, the rotation would be Fab 20, DC2 15, Keita 5. If Fab jumps, DC2 and Keita will split the time (with either Rak or NN moving over in a pinch).

The four needs a ventilator next year, since CJ will be playing the 3 in KJ's spot. I'm not giving up on Rak, who's averaged 13 mpg/3 ppg. But in tight conference contests, he disappears. Realistically, therefore, if we want the team to continue playing at an elite level, NN would give us an elite/off-center guy.

Anyone thinking it's implausible that NN would play PF for SU is not paying attention. This is his natural position, and he's 210 pounds. We have, and need, bigger bodies in the middle to anchor the zone. [Maybe noone noticed Drummond backing Melo off the floor the other night].

This is why NN will NOT create a logjam on the Frontline, and fits in perfectly as a secondary scorer, shot-blocker and rebounder.

zero percent chance all those guys are on the team next year

and lol at anyone saying Coleman or Keita would play forward

Noel seems to me to be a natural four, with ability to shift up to a five, or even down to a three in a pinch. Watching him get dominated physically by the Pitt guy (in the Pitt guys video) thinks he won't be ready to compete physically in BCS league post play.

I do think he can move well enough to play our zone wing, and still get a lot of weak side blocks like Wes Johnson used to do. He will be dangerous as a second post presence, and offensive rebounder, but looks really raw offensively. He might be the number one prospect, but will require a lot of work before he is ready to be a dominant big man.

In ability to play power forward:

Noel
Christmas
Keita
Melo
Coleman

I don't think any of the last three can play anything but center in our scheme. Keita seems to have some agility, but the idea of watching him try to stop a guard on the perimeter isn't pleasant. Coleman and Melo are just that much worse. Melo had to lose 40 pounds just to be agile enough to play Center, and Coleman is going to have to do the same.

You are spot on about Keita on the perimeter. I saw an analysis of the defense, and he is our guy most likely to commit a foul per possession, by a large margin, and that's playing in the post, not on the wing where a guy can drive right by you.

Remarkably, Melo has been involved in the most plays on defense, and has among the lowest fouls per possession on the team (trailing only Scoop, I believe). He has been way more effective than many realize, and more effective than we had any right to expect, coming into this year.

I agree with your analysis above - I think if Noel comes and Fab has not declared for the NBA, that Noel could play the 4 next year, and I'll bet that he can beat out Christmas, who may be a popular guy among his peers, but doesn't seem to have the motor for NCAA play yet.

Personally, I don't see Coleman anywhere but at the 5 for us. He's too big to cover the wings. If everyone is here next year, I see Coleman and Baye battling for the back up center minutes, with Baye a likely redshirt candidate for him to fill out his body a bit. It would benefit him tremendously to have a 5th year.

One thing that concerns me about Baye, though, is that he seemed to play with more energy last year. I just don't see the same activity out of him this year. Maybe it's the fouls; I'm not sure, but he's not the same player he was last year, despite the injury.

First, unreasonable to think any frosh could be better than a two year player? Come on, certainly depends on the players. And, in this case, we are talking about the Number 1 ranked player in the country. Comparisons are being made to Bill Russell. What are you going to say "Sorry Mr Russell but we got this junior Billy Celuck manning the middle, you're going to have to wait".

As for McDs not mattering, you need to get with the times. I'm glad JB has. If they come with the hype, you need to be careful in how you treat them. Fab started through his disasterous frosh year. Now XMas will get token starts throughout. DC2 will start. What he does from there will depend on how ready he is. DC2 is not redshirting.

If AO had enough speed to play, DC2 will be able to match that.

Rak, Fab, and DC,2 were all rated 1 or 2 at there position as seniors and all Mcd's so the comparison is fair. Bringing Bill Russell's name up is just silly so is bringing up Billy Celuck's for that matter. If DC2 is in the condition that AO was his senior or even junior year than great he should play, but he is not close to that kind of conditioning today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom