A question | Syracusefan.com

A question

SWC75

Bored Historian
What are the chances that Fab Melo, Rakeem Christmas, Baye Moussa Keita, DuJuan Coleman and Nerlens Noel will all be on next year's SU team? And if they are, rank them in terms of their ability to play forward.

What are the chances that Fab Melo, Rakeem Christmas, Baye Moussa Keita, DuJuan Coleman and Nerlens Noel will all be on next year's SU team? And if they are, rank them in terms of their ability to play forward.

Only consdering their ability to play defense as a forward.

Melo - 12% D+
Rak - 98% C+
Keita - 98% C+
Coleman - 99% C
Noel - 52% A-

If all those guys are on the team next season, then Keita has to redshirt.

Our most natural forward, offensively, will far and away be Coleman.

Ability at forward % on team
10 pt scale
Rak 7 90%
Keita 5 100%
Fab 3 50%
Coleman 1 100%
Noel 8 25%

Noel seems to me to be a natural four, with ability to shift up to a five, or even down to a three in a pinch. Watching him get dominated physically by the Pitt guy (in the Pitt guys video) thinks he won't be ready to compete physically in BCS league post play.

I do think he can move well enough to play our zone wing, and still get a lot of weak side blocks like Wes Johnson used to do. He will be dangerous as a second post presence, and offensive rebounder, but looks really raw offensively. He might be the number one prospect, but will require a lot of work before he is ready to be a dominant big man.

In ability to play power forward:

Noel
Christmas
Keita
Melo
Coleman

I don't think any of the last three can play anything but center in our scheme. Keita seems to have some agility, but the idea of watching him try to stop a guard on the perimeter isn't pleasant. Coleman and Melo are just that much worse. Melo had to lose 40 pounds just to be agile enough to play Center, and Coleman is going to have to do the same.

Noel PF rank 1, 40% chance
XMas 2, 100%
Keita 3, 70% (I think he might RS if Noel comes)
Melo 4, 10%
DC2 5, 100%

I think Melo is most likely gone. And if Noel comes, JB would play him alongside DC2 much in the same way as he used AO and RJ. And if Noel comes, I hope BMK would redshirt.

Here are the percentages these guys will play forward:

Fab - 0%. The guy is a center and will never play forward.

Christmas - 100%. He wont see the center position with Fab, Coleman and Noel also on the team.

Noel - 80%. Noel could see minutes at center, but would likely start at PF if Melo is here.

Coleman - 5%. I suppose there is a small chance he plays forward, but he is a center, he has the body of a center, and we will have other good options as forwards.

Keita - 0%. I am putting zero here because if we have Fab, Christmas, Noel, and Coleman, Keita is not playing forward or center, or any other position. He would almost have to red shirt. As a side note I would love to see Keita play some forward. His lack of strength will not hurt him as much as a forward, and he could post up most of the forwards we play against with some good success. The only downside is that his bad hands will hurt even more with him playing at the forward position.

Melo... 10% chance of returning (and that's being generous) ... 0% of being a forward
Keita... 100% chance of returning ... 10% of being a forward
Coleman. 100% chance of being here ... 0% of being a forward
RAK ... 100% chance of being here ... 100% of being a forward
Noel ... 40% chance of being here ... 100% of being a froward

Melo is gone... accept it and admit it and hope that he finishes and passes his classes so he doesn't screw our APR
Noel... chances diminished after MCW thing I feel. If he does come he will be a 4 with RAK backing him up ... if necessary he can rotate to the 5.
Coleman is a 5 ... he is not a 4... will never be a 4. He is too big (he needs to lose weight) and not agile enough to be a 4. He will be our starting 5 and will be pulled frequently b/c he won't have the wind until he loses weight. Too heavy for the transition game... ask Fab
RAK ... If Noel comes in he will back up at the 4 ... he will get a lot of pt tho. third back up to Coleman.
Keita needs to gain weight ... maybe DC2 can give him some of his. He will play the same role behind DC2 that he has played for the past 2 years behind Melo

Ability to play PF.

1.)Christmas
2.)Noel
3.)Keita
4.)Melo
5.)Coleman (If he loses some weight, then he could potentially move to 3rd)

They all won't be on the roster next year and only Noel and Rakeem can play the 4. The rest are 0%.

Sent from my DROIDX

They all won't be on the roster next year and only Noel and Rakeem can play the 4. The rest are 0%.

Sent from my DROIDX

Thats how I see it as well.

Only consdering their ability to play defense as a forward.

Melo - 12% D+
Rak - 98% C+
Keita - 98% C+
Coleman - 99% C
Noel - 52% A-

Multiplying it out: 12% x 98% x 98% x 99% x 52%= 6% chance they will all be here at once. That seems about right.

I also agree with the grades. Noel would play an Anthony Davis type role for us- or for Kentucky. And Keita might be able to use a redshirt in this situation.

I thought DC had developed a little bit of a mid-range game this year? If so, there's no reason he couldn't play the forward position if called upon.

I thought DC had developed a little bit of a mid-range game this year? If so, there's no reason he couldn't play the forward position if called upon.
Except the NBA doens't even play 6'10" 280 + pound forwards. There is no way in heck that Colman could cover the wing. His mid range game will be seen about as often as Fab's has been.

Chances are slim that all these guys will be there at the same time. That being said, Fab is a true center and it would be unthinkable to play him anywhere else. He will also play this position at the next level. He is an excellent passer, rebounder, blocker, finisher... and now he can hit the jump shot! Has NBA written all over him.

Secondly, Baye is also a Center. He is limited by his ability to gain weight, but more significantly he lacks the offensive skills to play the 4. He is a fair passer with ok hands but has shown no jump shot from any distance, short, long, or anywhere in between. His defense and blocking ability may be his best assets, and an occassional rebound/putback i.e. a center off the bench.

Rak is a hybrid 5/4 that Boeheim is on record as saying he starts for the simple reason that he is the best player at that position. What he doesn't say is that he may be doing more forecasting than real time in describing his skills. He rebounds well, has the ability to block shots, is athletic enough, and I think will develop his jump shot and will only get better defensely. Therefore, he is the top 4.

As to DC and NN, neither has played a college game yet. Both are hybrids like Christmas and could play either position. The real question is where would they best be utilized. DC's highest and best use is at 5, mostly because of his size and strength but he can also step out and hit the jumper. He has really soft hands, great footwork and dominates the paint. He probably plays 5 at the next level too.

NN could be used at either position. Everyone believes his biggest asset is his shot blocking ability and thus draws comparisons with Anthony Davis. I'm not sure how well he shoots it but he will see the floor somewhere 4 or 5. He will probably play 4 at the next level.

I am surprised that CJ and James weren't considered noteworthy hered since both are capable and both are seasoned veterans at this point. However, I think CJ takes over for KrisJo next year and James comes off the bench.

At any rate, these are the kind of "problems" you wish for.

I was just thinking; I feel like there was a thread before the season suggesting Melo could play some 4 this year. I don't remember who was in or it anything; not trying to call anyone out, just this thread make me think of it. I assume we all agree Fab is a 5 now.

Noel PF rank 1, 40% chance
XMas 2, 100%
Keita 3, 70% (I think he might RS if Noel comes)
Melo 4, 10%
DC2 5, 100%

I think Melo is most likely gone. And if Noel comes, JB would play him alongside DC2 much in the same way as he used AO and RJ. And if Noel comes, I hope BMK would redshirt.

I hope DC2 redshirts he is not in D1 condition and it with take time for him to get in D1 condition (like a year). Meanwhile we can't RS our best defenses center (Melo we be collecting a check next year)

Fab 100% C
Noel 97% PF
DC2 100% C-2
Christmas 100% PF-2
Keita 100% Redshirt

I hope DC2 redshirts he is not in D1 condition and it with take time for him to get in D1 condition (like a year). Meanwhile we can't RS our best defenses center (Melo we be collecting a check next year)

I don't think a McD will redshirt, nor do I think DC2 should. DC2 might not even be here 4 years, let alone hoping for 5. Use him while we can. Plus, I think DC2 has more of an offensive game than Noel. And it would be nice to get that guy that can score from the blocks again. We have gone a couple of years without that, time to bring back that element into the O.

BMK on the other hand would stay. And the time strength training would do him good.

Our best defensive center would be Noel. He would start at PF but could move over as needed, much as RJ did. Then as an additional backup there would be Rak. I think his development might be similar to Fab in that he has potential and could experience a real jump in production next year. I think he is close to as good as BMK at center now and will definitely overtake him by next year. That would put BMK as fourth on the depth chart which I think is overkill. An improved older, stronger BMK will be a good backup center - redshirting him could be a nice additional future perk of getting Noel.

Fab 100% C
Noel 97% PF
DC2 100% C-2
Christmas 100% PF-2
Keita 100% Redshirt

So 100% x 97% x 100% X 100% x 100% = a 97% chance that all five wil be on the roster next year? I'll take it. :)

So 100% x 97% x 100% X 100% x 100% = a 97% chance that all five wil be on the roster next year? I'll take it. :)

I thought I'd be cautiously optimistic.

I don't think a McD will redshirt, nor do I think DC2 should. DC2 might not even be here 4 years, let alone hoping for 5. Use him while we can. Plus, I think DC2 has more of an offensive game than Noel. And it would be nice to get that guy that can score from the blocks again. We have gone a couple of years without that, time to bring back that element into the O.

BMK on the other hand would stay. And the time strength training would do him good.

Our best defensive center would be Noel. He would start at PF but could move over as needed, much as RJ did. Then as an additional backup there would be Rak. I think his development might be similar to Fab in that he has potential and could experience a real jump in production next year. I think he is close to as good as BMK at center now and will definitely overtake him by next year. That would put BMK as fourth on the depth chart which I think is overkill. An improved older, stronger BMK will be a good backup center - redshirting him could be a nice additional future perk of getting Noel.

I don't believe it is reasonable to think that any freshmen center would be better in our defense than a guy who has been in the system two years. Noel is a shoot blocker but he can easily do that from the 4 spot, our centers call out the defensive sets and every freshmen struggles with it. The fact that DC2 is Mcd's AA should not factor into anything nor the fact that he won't be here 4 yrs matter either. (Rak and Melo were Mc'ds AA and both struggled big time) .If he can't run the floor he can't play why waste the year? BMK knows the Defense runs like a deer, and should be able to put on 20lbs in the off season. List the group from fastest to slowest who is coming in last? The best way to score on a zone is to beat it down court!

0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom