a quip about mcw | Syracusefan.com

a quip about mcw

jgeorge322

Living Legend
on the pick and rolls, he seems to start his move before the screener gets into place. it results in a moving pick on keita or christmas. someone needs to tell him to let the defender set his feet before he starts his move as it will not only prevent a foul call but also result in a more effective pick. we aren't getting any points off those and its supposed to be one of our more efficient plays.

Getting players to understand that they have to slow down and wait for the screen to be set is one of the biggest challenges in teaching them to play the game correctly. This is particularly true in ball-screening situations. Players want to make their move quickly to beat the defense off the dribble.

However, it is much more effective to be a step slow than a step fast in these situations. Players have to "read" the screen in order to know the best way to counter how the defense is playing and, as the OP pointed out, to avoid the illegal screen foul call on their teammate.

Coach Don Meyer used to say that reading screens is like reading a book--you can't do so well just flipping the pages frantically. You have to take your time, patiently working through the content. This is true for effective offense. As another certain coach once famously said, being premature about anything is usually not a good thing.

on the pick and rolls, he seems to start his move before the screener gets into place. it results in a moving pick on keita or christmas. someone needs to tell him to let the defender set his feet before he starts his move as it will not only prevent a foul call but also result in a more effective pick. we aren't getting any points off those and its supposed to be one of our more efficient plays.
I think you should email that coaching nugget to JB.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom