A real challenge for any coach. | Syracusefan.com

A real challenge for any coach.

Crusty

Living Legend
The ACC Atlantic division presents us with a daunting task every year. For some time we will have 2 almost certain losses out of 12 games. This means that we need to win 60% of our remaining games to be bowl eligible. Since at least one of our OOC games is a heavy lift we really have to win 6 of 9 "winnable" games to be bowl eligible. Winning 66% of our games against Louisville, Pitt, BC, NCS, Wake and a cross division team each and every year is no easy task.

What special advantage do we have? The dome. We need to take advantage of the only domed stadium in CFB. McNabb recently said he came to Syracuse to play in the dome, which should be instructive. We need to play a style of offense that takes advantage of our ONLY unique advantage.

Unless we adopt an aggressive offensive style we will be a very average program as far as the eye can see. IF we make a change the next guy needs to be an innovative offense minded coach with previous HC experience and the ability to recruit players that fit his system. They are out there, but they aren't cheap.

The ACC Atlantic division presents us with a daunting task every year. For some time we will have 2 almost certain losses out of 12 games. This means that we need to win 60% of our remaining games to be bowl eligible. Since at least one of our OOC games is a heavy lift we really have to win 6 of 9 "winnable" games to be bowl eligible. Winning 66% of our games against Louisville, Pitt, BC, NCS, Wake and a cross division team each and every year is no easy task.

What special advantage do we have? The dome. We need to take advantage of the only domed stadium in CFB. McNabb recently said he came to Syracuse to play in the dome, which should be instructive. We need to play a style of offense that takes advantage of our ONLY unique advantage.

Unless we adopt an aggressive offensive style we will be a very average program as far as the eye can see. IF we make a change the next guy needs to be an innovative offense minded coach with previous HC experience and the ability to recruit players that fit his system. They are out there, but they aren't cheap.
Good points. I fully agree.

I agree: the operative word is IF (a change is made). Keep Shafer if we grab a couple more wins or get a proven offensive mind. No more messing around

Going to be a very interesting 4 to 6 weeks.

Crusty said:
The ACC Atlantic division presents us with a daunting task every year. For some time we will have 2 almost certain losses out of 12 games.
We need to purge this kind of thinking. If we had even a half-mediocre offense last year, we would have won at Clemson last year. FSU lost to a very mediocre GT just 10 days ago. Negative thinking is pernicious.

If we can get a coaching staff that gets full buy-in from the team, we can start winning some of these games.

dollarbill44 said:
We need to purge this kind of thinking. If we had even a half-mediocre offense last year, we would have won at Clemson last year. FSU lost to a very mediocre GT just 10 days ago. Negative thinking is pernicious. If we can get a coaching staff that gets full buy-in from the team, we can start winning some of these games.

You know I agree about negative thinking... But that was FSU's only loss in three years during the regular season. Clemson has lost 3 conference games in 3 seasons.

We can win - but we are very far off

We need to purge this kind of thinking. If we had even a half-mediocre offense last year, we would have won at Clemson last year. FSU lost to a very mediocre GT just 10 days ago. Negative thinking is pernicious.

If we can get a coaching staff that gets full buy-in from the team, we can start winning some of these games.

We played Clemson without Watson, who was injured. Otherwise, would not have been so close.

Can we win some of these games any time soon? Sure, but to think we will be able to play with them consistently in the next few years is just not realistic. Those two programs are among the best in the country. I guess you apparently feel the present staff is not up to it.

Crusty, I'm just glad that the fanbase, at least represented here on the board, have come around to some of these ideas at least.

The next guy HAS to be a pass happy offensive guru. No ifs ands or buts about it. If Coyle hires another NE defensive meathead, im going to be upset.

if SU gets a better, they will steal a game from FSU or Clemson every few years. it's not like we're forever resigned to have a 2% chance of winning.

you can still have hope for a special season every so often. i worry that shafer takes bad odds and makes them terrible. that's what infuriated everyone so much about saturday - what hope is there that he won't blow it those rare times we have a shot

This is by far the toughest league, and especially division, that Syracuse has ever had to play in. It's an unfortunate situation for any Syracuse coach needing validation and should be taken into consideration when discussion turns to Shafer's future.

This is by far the toughest league, and especially division, that Syracuse has ever had to play in. It's an unfortunate situation for any Syracuse coach needing validation and should be taken into consideration when discussion turns to Shafer's future.
Wake had FSU's number for a few years not too long ago.

We played Clemson without Watson, who was injured. Otherwise, would not have been so close.

Can we win some of these games any time soon? Sure, but to think we will be able to play with them consistently in the next few years is just not realistic. Those two programs are among the best in the country. I guess you apparently feel the present staff is not up to it.
Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think we can consistently compete with both of them, just that the opportunities to poach a win here and there may present themselves.

I get that Clemson was without Watson, but that's part of the game and only strengthens my point that circumstances sometimes lead to unexpected wins.

As for the current staff, I'm not sure if they're up for it. I've been a supporter thus far and think that if we can win a couple down the stretch, they should get next year. But, if this team continues to crap itself each week, it may indicate that a new direction is needed. I am not looking forward to another rebuilding project, so I'm holding out hope...

Even if Syracuse went 0-2 vs Clemson/FSU, would anyone here be upset if that meant 10-2 or 9-3 seasons and a 3rd place finish in the division?

I mean you could then argue to go ahead and keep scheduling big-time OOC opponents because even 8-4 is going to put you in top 25 range.

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think we can consistently compete with both of them, just that the opportunities to poach a win here and there may present themselves.

I get that Clemson was without Watson, but that's part of the game and only strengthens my point that circumstances sometimes lead to unexpected wins.

As for the current staff, I'm not sure if they're up for it. I've been a supporter thus far and think that if we can win a couple down the stretch, they should get next year. But, if this team continues to crap itself each week, it may indicate that a new direction is needed. I am not looking forward to another rebuilding project, so I'm holding out hope...
Agreed.

Even if Syracuse went 0-2 vs Clemson/FSU, would anyone here be upset if that meant 10-2 or 9-3 seasons and a 3rd place finish in the division?

I mean you could then argue to go ahead and keep scheduling big-time OOC opponents because even 8-4 is going to put you in top 25 range.
I guessed you missed my point.

While I agree that we need to improve the offense to compete in this division and we need someone who is offensive minded, we need serious help with the defense. Our defense has cost us games this year and ultimately we'll need a good defense if we want to win this division to stop both FSU and Clemson. I'm all for the offense because it just makes sense but we also need help on defense to make us a championship caliber team. There are plenty of offensive guys that have good defenses and defensive guys that have a good offense. If we get someone that has a similar style of play to Kyle Whittingham, Jim Harbaugh, I'm all for it. If we get someone that has a similar style as Art Briles, I'm all for it. Whatever wins us damn games and gets this program back to winning consistently, I'm all for it. Whatever Coyle decides to do with whatever style of coach he wants even if that means keeping Shafer, I'm 100% behind because he seems to know what the hell he is doing.

The Big East in the early/mid 90s was as tough with Miami playing as a top 5 team yearly. WVU, Tech grabbed the mantle of being that Clemson/Top 10 team as well. We are used to playing a schedule with top teams. Our OOC was much harder back then as well. Look at those OOC games throughout the 90s.

The schedule isn't an excuse. Our team is poorly coached. The rest of the excuses of facilities, money are gone now. We just need to coach better and we'll do as well as we did in the 90s vs a tough schedule.

The Big East in the early/mid 90s was as tough with Miami playing as a top 5 team yearly. WVU, Tech grabbed the mantle of being that Clemson/Top 10 team as well. We are used to playing a schedule with top teams. Our OOC was much harder back then as well. Look at those OOC games throughout the 90s.

The schedule isn't an excuse. Our team is poorly coached. The rest of the excuses of facilities, money are gone now. We just need to coach better and we'll do as well as we did in the 90s vs a tough schedule.
Ancient history. At this point this division is a real challenge. We are a program that ranks somewhere below say 60 every year and below 100 this year.

elimunelson said:
The Big East in the early/mid 90s was as tough with Miami playing as a top 5 team yearly. WVU, Tech grabbed the mantle of being that Clemson/Top 10 team as well. We are used to playing a schedule with top teams. Our OOC was much harder back then as well. Look at those OOC games throughout the 90s. The schedule isn't an excuse. Our team is poorly coached. The rest of the excuses of facilities, money are gone now. We just need to coach better and we'll do as well as we did in the 90s vs a tough schedule.

Our record vs Miami was pretty dismal. It took a while to compete and some years we'd have been lucky to score 21.

Anytime you have teams contending for national championships in your division, the schedule is an issue.

I guessed you missed my point.

Maybe I did, but I agree with you. No reason the expectation can't be to be better than the other teams in our division. My biggest concern isn't catching FSU/Clemson, it's moving ahead of L'ville, BC, and NC St.

No one likes to lose but it happens. Glass half full is that so far this year SU has not been beaten down with any of those 58-0 type scores. Correct me if I am wrong but even the games where like FL St were within a couple touchdowns until the 4th Qtr. While the outcomes aren't pretty they could be a whole lot worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom