A simple question | Syracusefan.com

A simple question

IDOC

Scout Team
If Dungey can find a gap and be our leading rusher, why can't Strickland do the same?

I'm thinking crazy thoughts like start Mahoney and move dungey to rb because I'm so fed up with the running backs. I can't believe this didn't get fixed in the off-season, I just don't understand what babers wants from a rb

I'm thinking crazy thoughts like start Mahoney and move dungey to rb because I'm so fed up with the running backs. I can't believe this didn't get fixed in the off-season, I just don't understand what babers wants from a rb
Very interested to see what the two-deep at RB will be this week.

I know it's frustrating but we have to trust the process. Hopefully things will improve as the season goes on. Keeping my fingers crossed, we have such a tough schedule.

What I don't get is all the praise that Strickland got this spring...he looks worse now than last year.
Cecil Howard looked good fifteen years ago in the spring and then we found it was just from playing the worst secondary ever

If I hear that someone looks good, I take it to mean that someone else in the other side of the ball is really bad. So beaten down

Cecil Howard looked good fifteen years ago in the spring and then we found it was just from playing the worst secondary ever

If I hear that someone looks good, I take it to mean that someone else in the other side of the ball is really bad. So beaten down
I hear you Millhouse... I think a lot of us SU fans are beaten down.

If Dungey can find a gap and be our leading rusher, why can't Strickland do the same?

Because they are focusing on Strickland, who is in there as our only running back. It makes Dungey the only alternative and we are using it. The defenses will no focus more on Dungey, which will probably end his season at some point, (here comes Central Michigan!), while Strickland will do marginally better.

If you want to protect the QB, put two backs in the backfield. You have an extra blocker and the alternative to the main running back is another running back. If all we are going to do is chuck it to the sideline, why not?

At this point with Strickland, I would use Elmore. The running game is so deficient that it's affecting the passing game. The situation requires much more experimentation and creativity than it's getting (IMO). I realize the OL's young, but that's exactly the point -- Strickland's not the kind of player that can make up for poor blocking with size, speed or moves. The weird thing is that Babers has been focused (for good reason) on upgrading team size with bigger, faster players ... but then trots out a small guy with no wiggle at RB. We'd literally be better off teaching one of the younger linemen to carry the ball into the middle until we can recruit the position.

Last edited:
I never read the game thread, but post game I'm surprised we haven't heard more about the return of the freeze option!

It always make me think back to Pariani in 2005 when after about 2 games he just started running the option and we all realized that this guy was quickly out of ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom