A stat indicating we're not special anymore | Syracusefan.com

A stat indicating we're not special anymore

Caboose

Scout Team
My buddy looked at the last 5 years, I believe it was 5. He removed all the cream puff games (which I believe we won all). There are 88 remaining games. All of our conference games and non-cream puff opponents. Guess what our record is ... 40-48. Now I know some will respond by pointing at the sanctions, but I think it's much more than that. I think it's a lot to do with the coaching and the poor recruiting.

Personally I've had it with the zone defense. Teams like Georgia Tech have a chance against us because of it, plain and simple. Yea we shot poorly on offense, but they shot 60% against our zone. I think they lost to Gardner Webb. We are one dimensional on defense with a stubborn old coach who refuses to add another dimension/tool to our defense. Teams in our conference know what to expect from us every time they see us. We have this stubborn old man coaching teenage players.

I've poured my heart and soul into this team and program. Today the dome felt sad and hopeless, and it was kind of a wake-up call for me. I've been to the last two Final Fours, countless games here and away. I'm at a point now where I realize that the glory days are long gone.

I'm ready for the next chapter for my beloved Syracuse basketball program. It's time for Jim Boeheim to hand over the great program he helped create to someone who can bring it back to prominence. It makes me sad to say all this, but his time is up.

Thank God for Carmelo Anthony.

Last edited:
None of these current players would ever play on any of the eighties teams. No one on this team could start for Duke on Monday night. That tells you all you need to know. We still don’t have a point guard and haven’t had one since Ennis. We won’t have one next year either. Carey is not a point guard and neither is Goodine. We still won’t have an ACC capable big for next year.

None of these current players would ever play on any of the eighties teams. No one on this team could start for Duke on Monday night. That tells you all you need to know. We still don’t have a point guard and haven’t had one since Ennis. We won’t have one next year either. Carey is not a point guard and neither is Goodine. We still won’t have an ACC capable big for next year.
You have seen goodine play?

You have seen goodine play?
I know he's good. Where's our center, inside shooting threat? Btw I posted prematurely without finishing my post. I just finished it.

I know he's good. Where's our center, inside shooting threat? Btw I posted prematurely without finishing my post. I just finished it.
I wasn't replying to you. I agree about post scoring. That is our biggest weakness. We can't go low and get a hoop.

My buddy looked at the last 5 years, I believe it was 5. He removed all the cream puff games (which I believe we won all). There are 88 remaining games. All of our conference games and non-cream puff opponents. Guess what our record is ... 40-48. Now I know some will respond by pointing at the sanctions, but I think it's much more than that. I think it's a lot to do with the coaching and the poor recruiting.

Personally I've had it with the zone defense. Teams like Georgia Tech have a chance against us because of it, plain and simple. Yea we shot poorly on offense, but they shot 60% against our zone. I think they lost to Gardner Webb. We are one dimensional on defense with a stubborn old coach who refuses to add another dimension/tool to our defense. Teams in our conference know what to expect from us every time they see us. We have this stubborn old man coaching teenage players.

I've poured my heart and soul into this team and program. Today the dome felt sad and hopeless, and it was kind of a wake-up call for me. I've been to the last two Final Fours, countless games here and away. I'm at a point now where I realize that the glory days are long gone.

I'm ready for the next chapter for my beloved Syracuse basketball program. It's time for Jim Boeheim to hand over the great program he helped create to someone who can bring it back to prominence. It makes me sad to say all this, but his time is up.

Small private school
Upstate NY
Basketball school

...oh wait, wrong board...wrong decade. My bad, sorry.

44cuse

Small private school
Upstate NY
Basketball school

...oh wait, wrong board...wrong decade. My bad, sorry.

44cuse
Nice excuse. I'm sure that's what all the high end recruits used to think before choosing Syracuse. I'm sure that's what Carmelo was thinking. By your thinking St. John's should be getting every great recruit out there. You probably weren't thinking that when Carmelo came here however. Man I'm not even asking to go 33-5 every year. I'm just pointing out the state of the program compared to what we've grown to expect and this BS we're seeing over the last 5-6 years minus a couple miracle tourney runs is garbage. If you are happy w 40-48 then good for you, Syracuse basketball isn't as important to you as it is to me and most of the fan base in Syracuse. Enjoy the coin flip games and the small cold town.

Nice excuse. I'm sure that's what all the high end recruits used to think before choosing Syracuse. I'm sure that's what Carmelo was thinking. By your thinking St. John's should be getting every great recruit out there. You probably weren't thinking that when Carmelo came here however. Man I'm not even asking to go 33-5 every year. I'm just pointing out the state of the program compared to what we've grown to expect and this BS we're seeing over the last 5-6 years minus a couple miracle tourney runs is garbage. If you are happy w 40-48 then good for you, Syracuse basketball isn't as important to you as it is to me and most of the fan base in Syracuse. Enjoy the coin flip games and the small cold town.

You haven’t been around here long enough to get it. Maybe one of the longer time posters will let you in on the joke.

If not, that’s cool to. I truly like your spirit.

44cuse

You haven’t been around here long enough to get it. Maybe one of the longer time posters will let you in on the joke.

44cuse
Gotcha, my mistake. I'm glad it wasn't what I thought it meant. I'm right on board w you.

44cuse
Btw however, I've been on this board for a very long time. I am mostly a reader. Occasionally I'll post.

He has tried to add a press. No one has the heart, desire, or athletic ability to execute it consistently.

welcome to the ACC . come meet our friends...

screen-shot-2013-01-19-at-10-52-27-am1.jpg

Last edited:
He has tried to add a press. No one has the heart, desire, or athletic ability to execute it consistently.

No, that's the point, it's not a good press, schematically. And it's lazy coaching.

There are numerous different types full, 3/4, 2/3 and 1/2 pressure packages available to any coach with the time/energy to implement them.

We have employed only a last-gasp, full-court 1-2-1-1 press that either creates an immediate turnover or forces a contested layup against our "shot-blocker". This is basically 4.5 mins at the end of practice kind of stuff, not the intensive, 30 mins of focus other coaches might use here (Pitino, Wright, K, Huggins, Beilein, etc).

There is "turn, spring & tip" when our guys get run by...the traps rely on athleticism and "luck" as opposed to strategic positioning.

Very simply, it's not good. And it calls into question the level of coaching sophistication and focus applied to other aspects of the planning/program.

Gotcha, my mistake. I'm glad it wasn't what I thought it meant. I'm right on board w you.

It's an old excuse (`01-`02 range) from the football board at least one if not two boards before this one in lineage. It was BS then and it's BS now.

44cuse

A few years ago when UConn won their 2nd title in 4 years (with some mediocre regular seasons in the years before and in between), I remember a debate on this board about whether we'd rather have:
-Sterling regular seasons, high tourney seeds and underperformance in the tourney
OR
-Some rollercoaster seasons punctuated by deep tournament runs.

As a fan, I personally enjoy the rollercoaster and the tournament run.

For recruiting, I'm not sure if it's better for recruiting to have a long regular season atop the rankings with a tournament choke or to have the banner at the end of the year to show for the FF/NC?

Either way, I don't mind the record over the last 5 years since it includes two FFs (no matter how lucky they may have been...they all usually require some luck) and that I'd take it again over the next five if we could get another FF or two, or maybe even a *lucky* National Championship for JB to sail off into the sunset.

This is wrong. Carey and Goodine will be very good PGs for us. But yes, we need a big man who can come in next year and have an immediate impact. Sidibe will be decent but he can’t do it alone.

The zone defense has befuddled teams in the tourney and that has obviously helped our cause the years we barely make it in the tournament, which seems to be most years lately. However, I seriously question a coach's strategy where the zone is the ONLY defense we play. Have our athletes been that bad these last several years where we can never match up man to man? There is literally no mystery what defense we will play. I also think that optics are everything and other recruiters have convinced high school players that playing zone 100% of the time hurts their NBA chances. I am not sure that is true but from a perception standpoint, it seems to be. SU just doesn't have the panache that is use to for players...I hate admitting that to myself but it seems true.

Another ridiculous post because we had a bad game. Figured it was time.

Be careful what you wish for. Plenty of uncertainty after JB hangs it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom