A troubling pattern for Tony Bennett | Syracusefan.com

A troubling pattern for Tony Bennett

SU94

Starter
Let me start with his, and it is definitely NOT going to happen, but if the next coach of SU Hoops was Tony Bennett or someone like remarkably like Tony Bennett, our program would be in a very very good/great place going forward.

That said, every coach has his strengths and weaknesses. With this in mind, I have to begun to question Bennett’s standing as an in-game tactician. Especially when the chips are down.

To me, he has really performed (historically) poorly in 4-5 memorable spots lately. Let’s review…
  • 2016 Elite 8: A veteran-laden UVa squad leads a young SU team by 15 with 9:33 left. Our Orange close on a 29-8 run. All because Boeheim pressed and Bennett had no answers (the answer was as simple as stop attacking for a few possessions, run some clock).
  • 2018 Round of 64: Yes, the loss to UMBC. Correct, Hunter was injured. But they did not just get beat, they lost by 20! One of sports' historically shocking outcomes. This wasn't just a 1 vs. 16 game, ... UVa was the No. 1 overall seed.
  • 2019 Elite 8: UVa leads Purdue by 6 with 5:52 left. Boilermakers proceed to outscore UVa, 13-5, but get OT reprieve on miracle back-tap and last-second jumper from Diakite.
  • 2019 Final 4: UVa leads Auburn by 10 with 5:24 remaining. AU goes on a 14-0 run! How does this happen? He inexplicably removes his best player, Jerome (4 fouls), with 4+ minutes left and loses control of the game. Then, with the chips down, and trailing by 2 with 55 (or so) second left, and after a timeout, UVa comes out with what I would describe as arugably the worst high-leverage possession I have ever seen. After almost no passing, Jerome is forced to attempt a 24-foot-contested, fade-away 3 that is lucky to get rim. Bennett does call a nice play in the final 1.5 seconds that led to Kyle Guy’s 3 FTs. I will give him that much here.
I don’t know what to say.
Coaches can only do so much. Players miss shots. Players make poor decisions. Happens every day. To our program too.

But man, these are high-leverage coaching whiffs for Bennett.
Most involve a longer stretches of game time, not just a bad possession or minute of play.
There is nothing else to say. They were colossal failings.

The man has won a TON of games. Virginia is a great program. They've essentially replaced SU in the top quartile of the ACC, which I don't like.

To me, … I see a “deer in the headlights look,” too much conversing with assistant coaches/uncertainty, and an overall coaching passiveness that is troubling. And what is worse, he has not learned from the previous failings, as they keep happening. I am shocked, to be blunt.

I’d still describe him an elite coach. One to admire. But, perhaps not one to trust to make the right calls in "the moment.".

Last edited:
Let me start with his, and it is definitely NOT going to happen, but if the next coach of SU Hoops was Tony Bennett or someone like remarkably like Tony Bennett, our program would be in a very very good/great place goign forward.

That said, every coach has his strengths and weaknesses. With this in mind, I have to begun to question Bennett’s standing as an in-game tactician. Especially when the chips are down.

To me, he has really performed (historically) poorly in 4-5 memorable spots lately. Let’s review…
  • 2015 Elite 8: A veteran-laden UVa squad leads a young SU team by 15 with 9:33 left. Our Orange close on a 29-8 run. All because Boeheim pressed and Bennett had no answers (the answer was as simple as stop attacking for a few possessions, run some clock).
  • 2018 Round of 64: Yes, the loss to UMBC. Correct, Hunter was injured. But they did not just get beat, they lost by 20! One of sports' historically shocking outcomes. This wasn't just a 1 vs. 16 game, ... UVa was the No. 1 overall seed.
  • 2019 Elite 8: UVa leads Purdue by 6 with 5:52 left. Boilermakers proceed to outscore UVa, 13-5, but get OT reprieve on miracle back-tip and last-second jumper from Diakite.
  • 2019 Final 4: UVa leads Auburn by 10 with 5:24 remaining. AU goes on a 14-0 run! How does this happen? He inexplicably removes his best player, Jerome (4 fouls), with 4+ minutes left and loses control of the game. Then, with the chips down, and trailing by 2 with 55 (or so) second left, and after a timeout, UVa comes out with what I would describe as arugably the worst high-leverage possession I have ever seen. After almost no passing, Jerome is forced to attempt a 24-foot-contested, fade-away 3 that is lucky to get rim. Bennett does call a nice play in the final 1.5 seconds that led to Kyle Guy’s 3 FTs. I will give him that much here.
I don’t know what to say.
Coaches can only do so much. Players miss shots. Players make poor decisions. Happens every day. To our program too.

But man, these are high-leverage coaching whiffs for Bennett.
Most involve a longer stretches of game time, not just a bad possession or minute of play.
There is nothing else to say. They were colossal failings.

The man has won a TON of games. Virginia is a great program. They've essentially replaced SU in the top quartile of the ACC, which I don't like.

To me, … I see a “deer in the headlights look,” too much conversing with assistant coaches/uncertainty, and an overall coaching passiveness that is troubling. And what is worse, he has not learned from the previous failings, as they keep happening. I am shocked, to be blunt.

I’d still describe him an elite coach. One to admire. But, perhaps not one to trust to make the right calls in "the moment.".
All I see is a 5 year run of 3 Elite 8's and 1 Final 4. Also 2 of your 4 examples involve games UVA won. I guess it's hard to find examples of games they have lost since they are like 170-30 in the last 5 years. He is a great coach and a great person. Also he is going up against Boeheim, Ol Roy, K. All of which will retire in the next 5 years.

All I see is a 5 year run of 3 Elite 8's and 1 Final 4. Also 2 of your 4 examples involve games UVA won. I guess it's hard to find examples of games they have lost since they are like 170-30 in the last 5 years. He is a great coach and a great person. Also he is going up against Boeheim, Ol Roy, K. All of which will retire in the next 5 years.

Yeah, and JB had a rep for many years as a “can’t win the big one” coach.
Until he did.

Jay Wright “couldn’t win the big one”.
Until he did.
Twice.

This #narrative may die for Bennett as early as tonight.
Or maybe it takes a few more years.

There is also a LOT of luck involved.
Both good and bad.

Every big name coach has some bad moments. Just this tournament

Kentucky can't close out Auburn despite having them in foul trouble early in 2nd half.
Duke's final couple possessions again Michigan State.

The Virginia Elite 8 meltdown was something else. But he's a great coach. Reminds me of Nova who could never get over the hump for years, and then Jay Wright wins 2 titles

Bennett is a likable guy. He doesn’t complain for every single call like most of these young coaches today.

He definitely choked at the end of the Auburn game not calming his team down and calling a TO sooner.
Guy and the refs bailed him out.

I don’t really blame him for the UMBC game. His team lost Hunter in the ACC tournament and they struggled offensively.
Against us in 2016 it was more Malachi went beast mode and their team just got outplayed by us.

Bennett called 2 TOs during our second half run but we just beat them.

The guy just needed to call a TO during the Auburn 14-0 run.
That was it.
I mean the guy has his team in the NC game. He is legit and actually not a scum bag which is refreshing.

Each coach has a unique program. This is the structure players train within and play within.

But players play and are ultimately responsible for winning or losing.

All true. I think I was fair to Bennett in my post. He built that UVa program, which is definitely one of CBB's 10 best right now (likely higher). In 2010, it might not have been a top 75 program. All the credit goes to him.

I also never said he could not, or would not, "win the big one."
He's playing for it tonight and I think he's going to be busy hoisting a trophy about 11:30 p.m.

But ... he failed in those situations that I chronicled in the OP. And those weren't just losses. They were gut punch, "What Just Happened" losses.

Just think about the win probabilities:
  • 2016 Elite 8: Has to be over 98%. (no win probablilty listed on ESPN's old boxscore).
  • 2018 Round of 64: Has to be 99% or greater to win that game.
  • 2019 Elite 8: Per ESPN, win probability was 84% at the time I chronicled in the OP (and Virginia did win, but with some good fortune to overcome passive/poor coaching)
  • 2019 Final 4: Per ESPN 96% win probability at the time I chronicled (and UVa did win despite Bennett, same as above)
Looking at this with crude math, the odds of Bennett and the Cavaliers losing all four of those games is around 1/780,000 (yes, I know, UVa went 2-2 in those games and the AU game would not have been played if the loss to Purdue happened).

The man has a weakness -- in the biggest moments -- it appears.

All true. I think I was fair to Bennett in my post. He built that UVa program, which is definitely one of CBB's 10 best right now (likely higher). In 2010, it might not have been a top 75 program. All the credit goes to him.

I also never said he could not, or would not, "win the big one."
He's playing for it tonight and I think he's going to be busy hoisting a trophy about 11:30 p.m.

But ... he failed in those situations that I chronicled in the OP. And those weren't just losses. They were gut punch, "What Just Happened" losses.

Just think about the win probabilities:
  • 2016 Elite 8: Has to be over 98%. (no win probablilty listed on ESPN's old boxscore).
  • 2018 Round of 64: Has to be 99% or greater to win that game.
  • 2019 Elite 8: Per ESPN, win probability was 84% at the time I chronicled in the OP (and Virginia did win, but with some good fortune to overcome passive/poor coaching)
  • 2019 Final 4: Per ESPN 96% win probability at the time I chronicled (and UVa did win despite Bennett, same as above)
Looking at this with crude math, the odds of Bennett and the Cavaliers losing all four of those games is around 1/780,000 (yes, I know, UVa went 2-2 in those games and the AU game would not have been played if the loss to Purdue happened).

The man has a weakness -- in the biggest moments -- it appears.
I general feel this whole can't win the big one thing is wrong normally. I mean all these things happen that are out of your control. This tournament is the hardest way to win a title with multiple times where you could easily lose. Coach K for example what if they don't have the final play at the buzzer vs yukon and UK. What if Anthony doesn't foul out of the game against UNLV. They probably lose. I just took 2 titles and 3 final 4's away from K. Those things were completely out of his control.

Ain't no coach with an undefeated record so it's easy to point out a few losing games. The NCAA tournament has a huge reputation and winning the whole damn thing is huge accomplishment, but it's still a single elimination tournament where 65 teams get an L every season. For the vast majority of coaches it's just an outcome of a sample size. The more chances a team gets, the better the odds for piling up some wins.

I think Tony Bennett's biggest problem tonight is that Texas Tech is really good.

I thought after the first weekend that they looked like the best team remaining in the tournament.

I'd like to see Tony cut down the nets -- great coach and a class act in a sport that lacks class -- but TT is going to be a very tough out.

Coach K for example what if they don't have the final play at the buzzer vs yukon and UK. What if Anthony doesn't foul out of the game against UNLV. They probably lose. I just took 2 titles and 3 final 4's away from K. Those things were completely out of his control.
I hear you. BUT ... Bennett had firm control of all of these situations, these were not bad calls by refs or fluky made half court shots. And that is my point. He and the Cavaliers had large leads and a better squad, yet he did not handle them well. At all. All of these played out over 10-25 possessions, if not more (the UMBC game).

What's the saying? Once is a mistake, twice a coincidence. Well, what is 4 times?

My admittedly amateur critique is that in the moment, he's too collaborative with his staff and too passive overall. His passive nature appears to work wonders in every other phase of his program. but when victory is in sight, it has not served him well in these big games.

Last edited:
Once Coach K and Roy retire, UVA will be the premier program in the ACC. You could argue based on results they already are.

To be fair Purdue banked in a massive 3 to get that lead, everyone forgets that; but even that's getting into the weeds. More importantly you can be right about all of that and I still end up at "Ya, so what?". It's Virginia. They shouldn't be a 1seed ever.

SlUPWTz.gif

Once Coach K and Roy retire, UVA will be the premier program in the ACC. You could argue based on results they already are.
Ridiculous assertion.

Yeah, and JB had a rep for many years as a “can’t win the big one” coach.
Until he did.

Jay Wright “couldn’t win the big one”.
Until he did.
Twice.

This #narrative may die for Bennett as early as tonight.
Or maybe it takes a few more years.

There is also a LOT of luck involved.
Both good and bad.
I guess it is not that Bennett/Virginia lost to SU in the E8 or should have lost each of the last 2 games (Purdue, Auburn) this year. It is how they lost.

I happen to think that all four games should have been won by Virginia with relative ease. No one in this thread has attempted to explain this, other that Alsacs.

John Cheney (Temple) had a horrible record in the Sweet 16 and E8. Never made the Final Four. He was a great coach (HOFer I believe). But his Temple teams were beaten annually by better teams or at least teams with a similar scope of talent. I get that, it happens to everyone, including SU/Boeheim.

But Cheney he never frittered away double-digit leads against inferior opponents with less than 10 minutes remaining. Bennett has squandered these advantages, repeatedly. That cannot be erased.

But Cheney he never frittered away double-digit leads against inferior opponents with less than 10 minutes remaining. Bennett has squandered these advantages, repeatedly. That cannot be erased.
jb does it all the time.
you get a lead, you make the other guys play against the clock. it's the smart play and it usually works, regardless of the outliers you can point to

Here is something I just noticed

2010 was the last year Duke even shared the ACC regular season title. Granted, they've won 2 titles (including 2010) and they are Duke, but that's a stunning stat to me.

Brief rundown of the last few years for UVA

2019: Shared regular season title with UNC
2018: Outright regular season title (by 4 games!)
2017: tied for 5th, UNC won the league
2016: Tied for 2nd, UNC won the league
2015: outright champ
2014: Outright champ

So in the last 6 seasons, they've won the league outright 3 times, shared it once, and finished second the other time. That's pretty outrageous, especially for a non UNC/Duke school. UNC has been nearly right there with them, and they did win a title and made another FF, so certainly there's an argument in their favor, but I think if UVA wins the title tonight, there's pretty much no doubt.

I don't love the way his teams play from an aesthetic POV (Though their offense has some great sets now) but the guy is an outstanding coach. Really maybe the best out there. But, not perfect.

Great coach...period
Great Coach ... I 100% agree. In fact, I called him elite yesterday, when considering all that he is and represents.

Not the best in-game tactician, however. We saw a glimpse of this, yet again, last night.

Up 10 under 10, loses lead (again) and gets bailed out by TTU's over rotation on Jerone's drive and kick to Hunter (and I will Bennett credit for putting those wheels in motion at the end). He needs to rethink his coaching tendencies when given a significant lead or advantage.

Great Coach ... I 100% agree. In fact, I called him elite yesterday, when considering all that he is and represents.

Not the best in-game tactician, however. We saw a glimpse of this, yet again, last night.

Up 10 under 10, loses lead (again) and gets bailed out by TTU's over rotation on Jerone's drive and kick to Hunter (and I will Bennett credit for putting those wheels in motion at the end). He needs to rethink his coaching tendencies when given a significant lead or advantage.

I respect the point you are trying to make (and more so the way you are trying to make it). I just disagree with your in-game tactician take. In fact, I would argue that he excels at in-game tactical execution because of how well his kids consistently execute in most of those situations. He is not winning all these games and league titles year after year after year by accident (or some are saying luck). That is a function of pregame preparedness, practice, and a collective understanding by the players of what they need to do. Sometimes kids know what to do (and his kids always seem to know what to do) but simply don't make the play or miss the shot. The other part of the equation is there is another excellent coach on the other sideline with kids making plays.

As to the "bail out" on the over rotation...I see it as he forced TT to make a decision with Hunter in one corner, Guy in the other corner, and the blonde kid (don't want to try to spell his name) on the same side low block as Hunter. He deliberately caused what you are calling the bail out over rotation. Jerome read the initial defensive rotation on his dribble penetration and the kids executed to perfection.

I respect the point you are trying to make (and more so the way you are trying to make it). I just disagree with your in-game tactician take. In fact, I would argue that he excels at in-game tactical execution because of how well his kids consistently execute in most of those situations. He is not winning all these games and league titles year after year after year by accident (or some are saying luck). That is a function of pregame preparedness, practice, and a collective understanding by the players of what they need to do. Sometimes kids know what to do (and his kids always seem to know what to do) but simply don't make the play or miss the shot. The other part of the equation is there is another excellent coach on the other sideline with kids making plays.

As to the "bail out" on the over rotation...I see it as he forced TT to make a decision with Hunter in one corner, Guy in the other corner, and the blonde kid (don't want to try to spell his name) on the same side low block as Hunter. He deliberately caused what you are calling the bail out over rotation. Jerome read the initial defensive rotation on his dribble penetration and the kids executed to perfection.
Yep, it was a very nice play call from Bennett and execution from Jerome and Hunter.
They should have never had to hit a shot like that to get the game into OT, however.

I did not like hearing (from CBS's Tracy Wolfson) that with the lead down to 6, and about 4+ minutes left, he's in his huddle asking what plays his kids want to run. This isn't December in Charlottesville against Radford. This is the National Championship Game. Take charge, Bennett! And what happened out of the timeout? TTU tied the game within 4 possessions. If the TV report was accurate, THAT's exactly what I was talking about yesterday ... Coaching passiveness.

Lastly, Bennett plays Clark (the 5-2 point guard) way too much (33/45 minutes). Texas Tech made a great comeback. Hit some tough shots. BUT, Bennett just keep losing leads, ... big leads. It's befuddling, and for me, he has to take a demerit on his in-game coaching grade. No coach is perfect. No ours, not K, not anyone. This appears to be, for the time being, Bennett's primary flaw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom