A vision of the team to come | Syracusefan.com

A vision of the team to come

SWC75

Bored Historian
I'm excited by the play of Tyler Roberson in this last game. JB explains that he has a harder time doing that at the three but some of our best teams have basically had two power forwards: Coleman and Owens, Warrick and Anthony. A front line of Roberson playing like that with developing McCullough and Christmas playing like an All-American, (if he can lay off the fouls), could be quite formidable.

In the backcourt both Joseph and Cooney are really two guards. At best they are combo guards. Gbinije is a jack of all trades and master of none. If they are pigeon holed into traditional roles, each is inadequate. But JB once said, (more than once) that he doesn't look for his guard to be point guards or shooting guards. He looks for them to be guards. If they would share all the backcourt duties, their versatility could become a strength. Have Cooney bring the ball up sometimes. Have Joseph play the off guard sometimes. Use Gbinije at either position to compliment whoever he's in there with, (when he's not needed at forward). Put the ball in Cooney's hand at the end of the close games. He certainly looked up to it yesterday.

The only other thing we have to work on is depth. Johnson and Patterson ahve to find their shots. Coleman ahs to make his comeback or we have to start using Obokoh more so he can develop into the back-up center we need.

This could be a good team- maybe a very good one- by the end of the season. I just hope we haven't lost enough games to put us on the bubble- or off it- by then. if we can get into the Big Dance, we might we one of those teams you don't want to play.

I think it's about them practicing hard, playing the games and getting better. I agree that Tyler has to play well for us to win, as does Joseph. I'm confident that Kaleb will get there, he just needs to find his way. The combo guard analogy us right about him and Trevor. Tyler is all about confidence. If he just rolls the ball out there and goes for it, he'll be fine. The kid is way too talented to be so tentative..

I'm excited to see how things go on Saturday. I know JB and the coaches are lighting a fire under the kids' asses this week. And I think they'll bring their A game!!!! The atmosphere in Philly is going to be great too.

Let go Orange!!!

I'm nitpicking here for no real reason, but I wouldn't consider Melo a PF. I know he kinda plays PF in the NBA, but he was SF in that a lot of his damage was done away from the basket.

Otherwise, great points.

I'm nitpicking here for no real reason, but I wouldn't consider Melo a PF. I know he kinda plays PF in the NBA, but he was SF in that a lot of his damage was done away from the basket.

Otherwise, great points.

Much like Owens they were PF's as far as size/rebounding and such on the college level but they had SF skills offensively and could score or make plays from anywhere. It can certainly be argued that either or both were small forwards not PF. I think on this team Tyler and Chris are both much more classic PF type's offensively with perhaps slightly better ball skills than your average college PF although not as good as you'd like out of your SF. Still if Roberson can give us double digit scoring regularly to go with 7+ rebounds in about 28 minutes it would be huge and make like a lot easier on everyone.

I'm excited by the play of Tyler Roberson in this last game. JB explains that he has a harder time doing that at the three but some of our best teams have basically had two power forwards: Coleman and Owens, Warrick and Anthony. A front line of Roberson playing like that with developing McCullough and Christmas playing like an All-American, (if he can lay off the fouls), could be quite formidable.

In the backcourt both Joseph and Cooney are really two guards. At best they are combo guards. Gbinije is a jack of all trades and master of none. If they are pigeon holed into traditional roles, each is inadequate. But JB once said, (more than once) that he doesn't look for his guard to be point guards or shooting guards. He looks for them to be guards. If they would share all the backcourt duties, their versatility could become a strength. Have Cooney bring the ball up sometimes. Have Joseph play the off guard sometimes. Use Gbinije at either position to compliment whoever he's in there with, (when he's not needed at forward). Put the ball in Cooney's hand at the end of the close games. He certainly looked up to it yesterday.

The only other thing we have to work on is depth. Johnson and Patterson ahve to find their shots. Coleman ahs to make his comeback or we have to start using Obokoh more so he can develop into the back-up center we need.

This could be a good team- maybe a very good one- by the end of the season. I just hope we haven't lost enough games to put us on the bubble- or off it- by then. if we can get into the Big Dance, we might we one of those teams you don't want to play.

Great post. I agree with everything you said. Was exciting to see Roberson play well the other day. He seems to have that same demeanor as Triche. You never know if hes excited or miserable.

I just hope there's enough time for Joseph to figure it out. He's the one I'm most concerned about.

I don't know that they had two power forwards. They had two guys who were both versatile. We have yet to see the requisite versatility from TR to know whether he is compatible up front with McCullough.

Great post. I agree with everything you said. Was exciting to see Roberson play well the other day. He seems to have that same demeanor as Triche. You never know if hes excited or miserable.

I just hope there's enough time for Joseph to figure it out. He's the one I'm most concerned about.

I agree and think Tyler is well on his way. He has a lot to work on don't get me wrong but when you are that productive and play hard JB will put you right back in even if you get pulled. Plus JB wanted Tyler to be the 3rd guy on the front line this year from the get go.

I am more worried about Joseph than Tyler as well. The good news is that he isn't far away from being a help rather than a hindrance. Its the bad turnovers that lead to an easy 2 that he needs to cut out. If he does that and simply plays his game he will be fine.

I agree and think Tyler is well on his way. He has a lot to work on don't get me wrong but when you are that productive and play hard JB will put you right back in even if you get pulled. Plus JB wanted Tyler to be the 3rd guy on the front line this year from the get go.

I am more worried about Joseph than Tyler as well. The good news is that he isn't far away from being a help rather than a hindrance. Its the bad turnovers that lead to an easy 2 that he needs to cut out. If he does that and simply plays his game he will be fine.

Bad = unforced

The good news is that he can cut down on those by exercising better judgement out there. Agree that Joseph isn't that far away.

Much like Owens they were PF's as far as size/rebounding and such on the college level but they had SF skills offensively and could score or make plays from anywhere. It can certainly be argued that either or both were small forwards not PF. I think on this team Tyler and Chris are both much more classic PF type's offensively with perhaps slightly better ball skills than your average college PF although not as good as you'd like out of your SF. Still if Roberson can give us double digit scoring regularly to go with 7+ rebounds in about 28 minutes it would be huge and make like a lot easier on everyone.

Great points. In our offensive scheme, and espeicially with our defense, I never really feel like we have a SF and PF. Rather, we just have two Forwards. For instance, Grant was probably technicially the PF last year and Fair was the SF, but both could play either position relatively seamlessly (other than Grant not having a 3pt. shot).

Agree wholeheartedly. When you have a team with suspect shooting abilities, just let either guard drive to the basket, get the ball on the rim, and let three talented power forwards clean up the mess. Style points don't matter, number of attempts don't matter, just get the ball in the hoop. Does anyone really mind winning ugly?-VBOF

Agree wholeheartedly. When you have a team with suspect shooting abilities, just let either guard drive to the basket, get the ball on the rim, and let three talented power forwards clean up the mess. Style points don't matter, number of attempts don't matter, just get the ball in the hoop. Does anyone really mind winning ugly?-VBOF

Just win, baby.

Concentrate on Coleman coming back, otherwise I think CM is your backup center for this year. We are 9 games into the season and Chino only has 30 minutes of game time. Only two more games before conference play starts where him getting minutes seems like even a remote possibility (Colgate/Cornell). I can't see him becoming a realistic backup with that little court time. Tells me that JB doesn't trust him to put him on the floor and even if he suddenly had an epiphany and decided to use him he isn't likely to be able to cut it against stepped up competition when he didn't get the chance to really get his feet wet against the weak sisters.

Chino's playing time is a situation where I think JB has hedged winning games today against developmental playing time for a player who he thinks isn't going to help enough this year to warrant being given the developmental playing time.

I would think that if Obokoh could at least get to the "be in the way" category, he'd be able
to give Rakeem a few minutes of rest, ie, foul avoidance time. He is 6'9"ish, 215ish, just
get in the way of the other team shooting or getting to the ball, and have him commit the
one or two dumb fouls that Xmas and CM pick up. I think everyone could live with that
out of him, whether he scores or not. Just don't be a matador with hands of stone.

And, I mean, you're not asking him to play starter's minutes here. I would think that he's
capable of putting in just enough gametime to give Rak and Chris a short break. He was
recruited to play here.

Kev

I know I'm more optimistic than coach, but I don't think we're that far away. The three guys we really need to find some consistency playing well are Joseph, Roberson and Johnson. It's not like we're looking for something we haven't already seen from them, like we are Obokoh and Patterson. If our proven commodities can play consistently well and we get good games from 2 of Joseph, Roberson and Johnson I think we're in good shape.

That said, that is a big if.

I know I'm more optimistic than coach, but I don't think we're that far away. The three guys we really need to find some consistency playing well are Joseph, Roberson and Johnson. It's not like we're looking for something we haven't already seen from them, like we are Obokoh and Patterson. If our proven commodities can play consistently well and we get good games from 2 of Joseph, Roberson and Johnson I think we're in good shape.

Right we are only looking for these players to come into their own a little bit and play up to some of their abilities. This would drastically reduce the load that the other guys are carrying. Suddenly things get easier for everyone and basketball starts to become fun again. Its obvious that a lot of these kids aren't enjoying themselves right now and if they were able t9o infuse some excitement and fin it would go a long way IMO.

Great points. In our offensive scheme, and espeicially with our defense, I never really feel like we have a SF and PF. Rather, we just have two Forwards. For instance, Grant was probably technicially the PF last year and Fair was the SF, but both could play either position relatively seamlessly (other than Grant not having a 3pt. shot).
Was interesting to me the way JB emphasized in Sundays PC that Tyler was most effective because he had to play the 4 all game with the foul trouble Rak was in. He said that put him closer to the basket, and he could excel in those skills of rebounding, put backs and interior passing. So I think in JBs mind there is no SF or PF designation, just 3 vs 4, with each position capable of having similar skill sets. The only difference being where they start in an offensive set, where they navigate on the floor, staying nearer the paint or just outside of it.

The players are tent poles which JB has been trying to get up all at once in a storm. Just get a couple more up and we'll be OK.
Totally agree with this perspective. We have seen some good games out of 4/5 different players along with some moments of actually playing like a team. Said by many, several times before.....must cut down on turnovers and foolish mistakes. Also looking to see a different team play Villanova on Saturday. Jimmy's PC on Sunday should have lit a fire under all!!!

Totally agree with this perspective. We have seen some good games out of 4/5 different players along with some moments of actually playing like a team. Said by many, several times before...must cut down on turnovers and foolish mistakes. Also looking to see a different team play Villanova on Saturday. Jimmy's PC on Sunday should have lit a fire under all!!!

Not to mention, I hope our kids rise to the occasion. Obviously, Villanova is a better team than us. I want to see improvement and see us play "UP" to the level of competition for a change.

I can handle losing to a better team, I just don't want to see a repeat of the Cal game [for example], in terms of offensive ineptitude.

Totally agree with this perspective. We have seen some good games out of 4/5 different players along with some moments of actually playing like a team. Said by many, several times before...must cut down on turnovers and foolish mistakes. Also looking to see a different team play Villanova on Saturday. Jimmy's PC on Sunday should have lit a fire under all!!!

Great post.

Otherwise, great points.
melo was a power forward on the college level.

The game on Saturday I think will show a lot. An away game against the best team we played by far this season. If they step up their level of play and compete, I beleive we should all lose some of the pessimistic thoughts and be optimistic about the future. If they get blown out by 30 and don't compete, then we will have to accept this will be a learning year for most of the guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom