A word about HS highlight tspes...and other things | Syracusefan.com

A word about HS highlight tspes...and other things

Jake

Mod
Anyone recall seeing this kind of athleticism on grants tape?!? Or any recruiting experts peg him as über athletic?

I don't.

Love the Lets Go Orange chants too. Home game.

Trevor with the bounce. Need more of that.

Not sure if the officials were worse than the announcers. I'm convinced that ref couldn't believe grants block was humanly possible. Someone send him the tape.

We cannot survive playing 4 on 5 for 17 minutes against good teams. We need Coleman.

Nice job by BC putting a smaller guy on CJ and crowding him.

Some Zagoria column was the first thing I remember where he was like "Grant is turning into an athletic freak" before that it was never mentioned

Anyone recall seeing this kind of athleticism on grants tape?!? Or any recruiting experts peg him as über athletic?

I don't.

Not sure if the officials were worse than the announcers. I'm convinced that ref couldn't believe grants block was humanly possible. Someone send him the tape.

We cannot survive playing 4 on 5 for 17 minutes against good teams. We need Coleman.

I don't think our guards did a very good job getting Rak the ball inside - he had position a bunch of times early, before the foul trouble.

He's developed a decent low post game - he's not great, and he turns it over probably a little too much. But he also doesn't get too many opportunities. Would like to see more, especially when he has position.

Thought Ennis was really tentative and played like a freshman for the first 25-30 minutes of the game. Final 10 he was his usual self, and that helped the run.

Referees were awful - BC got every 50/50 call.

One of the hidden keys was when the BC kid who hit all the 3's got 4 fouls, Donahue subbed him out. That's when we made the run to blow the game open. Meanwhile, Grant played the last 10 minutes with 4 fouls and JB gambled and won. Jerami did a nice job a couple times when BC's guards attacked his side of sliding out of the way to avoid contact.

Bottom line: This team knows how to win. And has so many different guys who can step up and make plays. Cooney, Ennis, Fair, Grant. Not many teams have a 4 options as good as them.

i actually think Rak could be an offensive threat if given the ball 5 or 6 times a game.

He's been sealing off his man a lot better lately, but for some time now I've watched with frustration as they won't throw him the ball at those times. He's obviously developing confidence and it will grow to the point where he is a legitimate threat down low if they just continue to feed him the ball when he's got his man sealed off and let him do what he's shown he can do. He'll be in double figures and the offense will find the synergy it's failed to do as of yet.

Anyone recall seeing this kind of athleticism on grants tape?!?

It was almost as if they were competing to see who could do the worse job.

Agree with most of that, but I believe we are better with more Rak/Grant and not sure where Coleman actually adds (absent extreme foul trouble).

As for Grant, from Day 1 at SU you could see he was young for his class (baby face), still developing into his growing body, and super athletic. Can't speak to his HS tape, but wasn't it plain he was a prototype SU forward -- lean & athletic?

Maybe Trevor got energized by his break-aways. Him showing up with the bounce and mid-range game is the missing ingredient in our formula.

1. Anyone recall seeing this kind of athleticism on grants tape?!? Or any recruiting experts peg him as über athletic?

2. Love the Lets Go Orange chants too. Home game.

3. Trevor with the bounce. Need more of that.

4. Not sure if the officials were worse than the announcers.

1. His athleticism probably came when his Paul Bunyan growth spurt hit.
2. It was really great. Great job to anyone who went to the game.
3. "Who is Trevor?" 4. -Mike Patrick

You mean to tell me that the recruiting analysts aren't spot on? Get out.

I don't.

I HATE when refs make assumptions rather than use their eyes

ACC coaches should take note. CJ's lack of post up moves, makes this the best way to defend him.

My recollection of Grant in HS was a player who did all the little things necessary to win but he had never been expected to be the #1 option. I was expecting either Lukie Jackson or a Josh Pace type player. Instead we got our next Hakim Warrick or John Wallace.

He's been sealing off his man a lot better lately, but for some time now I've watched with frustration as they won't throw him the ball at those times. He's obviously developing confidence and it will grow to the point where he is a legitimate threat down low if they just continue to feed him the ball when he's got his man sealed off and let him do what he's shown he can do. He'll be in double figures and the offense will find the synergy it's failed to do as of yet.

Our guards seem to have trouble getting the ball into the low post. Best bet is to get the ball to Grant at the high post and let him make that pass to Rak. I've also noticed that we are bad on the pick and rolls now - or maybe the defense has just been good. Far too often both defenders go with the guard with the ball and Rak cuts to the hoop all alone, but the guards can't (or won't) make the pass because they are being double teamed by at least one long defender.

Our guards seem to have trouble getting the ball into the low post. Best bet is to get the ball to Grant at the high post and let him make that pass to Rak. I've also noticed that we are bad on the pick and rolls now - or maybe the defense has just been good. Far too often both defenders go with the guard with the ball and Rak cuts to the hoop all alone, but the guards can't (or won't) make the pass because they are being double teamed by at least one long defender.

Also have to remember that Cooney/Ennis are going through their first real conference schedule. As good as they are/have been, they still haven't played many games against league opponents who will have better scouting reports and much more to play for.

I don't.

I'll never understand why we don't take advantage of mismatches more often. CJ had a 6 inch advantage on his guy almost the entire game, and there were multiple times where Ennis had BC's center on him, Grant had a 6 footer on him, etc. and it's almost like they see the mismatch and feel bad about taking advantage, so they get rid of the ball as quick as possible.

I'll never understand why we don't take advantage of mismatches more often. CJ had a 6 inch advantage on his guy almost the entire game, and there were multiple times where Ennis had BC's center on him, Grant had a 6 footer on him, etc. and it's almost like they see the mismatch and feel bad about taking advantage, so they get rid of the ball as quick as possible.

We rarely set them up in the right place to take advantage of the mismatch. Would love to see us do MUCH more on this.

ACC coaches should take note. CJ's lack of post up moves, makes this the best way to defend him.
The one time I remember Fair taking his man down low he had an easy bucket. Fair also missed a couple shots he makes 90% of the time. I may get extremely annoyed at his once/twice per game turnovers coming from a mile away but I do have confidence Fair will adjust his game to take advantage if opponents try this tactic.