A word of caution... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

A word of caution...

I've been yapping on another thread about Clemson. And I may have been a bit hyperbolic over there, but my feeling is that we are capable of beating them and everyone else on our schedule this year. But we won't beat everyone on our schedule this year. The gap between capabilities and execution is where everyone gets tripped up. I see us winning between 6-8 games this year and upsetting either Northwestern, PSU, FSU or Clemson.

I agree, we can beat everyone. Execution is the word I was looking for. Defensively, our execution has been excellent, especially when one considers the lack of star power (recruiting standpoint). Our kids are disciplined very well. Offensively, I really don't expect a drop off. So long as our QB can connect with the receivers, whom I believe to be underrated, our running game will carry the load. If may be we have a better offense than last year because the kids are all disciplined to execute and they KNOW they can do it.

I think PSU and Northwestern are quite winnable (I actually think we should win, but I'm hedging here). Clemson is a toss up, Tahj Boyd is for real and he has one returning receiver that is a favored target. Their offense is good. However, if our defense is up to the task, we will attack him like we did Louisville's Bridgewater (another real deal QB of whom I expect much, just hoping not against us) and WVU's Smith. A decent offense should score on Clemson, so this game falls to defense and I like ours and our chances.

FSU is deep enough that we will rightfully be an underdog. This is a game where perfect execution is necessary for us to win. Their players are fast enough to recover from mistakes. They will have confidence. The one weakness (if you can call it that) is that Jimbo Fisher simply has not got the job done with the talent he has, ala Frank Beamer. I'm not sure if it is directly his fault (game coaching), assistants, or what (ultimately, it is on him, he's the boss) but losing to Wake and NCState and other games where he is heavily favored bodes well for Syracuse, an underrated team.

We will have a few growing pains games where we lose (new staff, new key players) but 6-8 wins is quite doable. I don't think anyone has their way with this team, they will have to earn it the old fashioned way and they better bring their lunch, too, because it will be a long day's work!

I agree, we can beat everyone. Execution is the word I was looking for. Defensively, our execution has been excellent, especially when one considers the lack of star power (recruiting standpoint). Our kids are disciplined very well. Offensively, I really don't expect a drop off. So long as our QB can connect with the receivers, whom I believe to be underrated, our running game will carry the load. If may be we have a better offense than last year because the kids are all disciplined to execute and they KNOW they can do it.

I think PSU and Northwestern are quite winnable (I actually think we should win, but I'm hedging here). Clemson is a toss up, Tahj Boyd is for real and he has one returning receiver that is a favored target. Their offense is good. However, if our defense is up to the task, we will attack him like we did Louisville's Bridgewater (another real deal QB of whom I expect much, just hoping not against us) and WVU's Smith. A decent offense should score on Clemson, so this game falls to defense and I like ours and our chances.

FSU is deep enough that we will rightfully be an underdog. This is a game where perfect execution is necessary for us to win. Their players are fast enough to recover from mistakes. They will have confidence. The one weakness (if you can call it that) is that Jimbo Fisher simply has not got the job done with the talent he has, ala Frank Beamer. I'm not sure if it is directly his fault (game coaching), assistants, or what (ultimately, it is on him, he's the boss) but losing to Wake and NCState and other games where he is heavily favored bodes well for Syracuse, an underrated team.

We will have a few growing pains games where we lose (new staff, new key players) but 6-8 wins is quite doable. I don't think anyone has their way with this team, they will have to earn it the old fashioned way and they better bring their lunch, too, because it will be a long day's work!
We will be one of, if not the, most physical team for every opponent on our schedule...especially the non-B1G teams.

I think we have a chance to be an absolutely dominant defensive team. Loads of experience, talent and depth. Hopefully we can find a way to rush the passer and have one of the young safety's step-up.

To me, our offense will be the key to how many wins we garner.

We will be one of, if not the, most physical team for every opponent on our schedule...especially the non-B1G teams.

I think we have a chance to be an absolutely dominant defensive team. Loads of experience, talent and depth. Hopefully we can find a way to rush the passer and have one of the young safety's step-up.

To me, our offense will be the key to how many wins we garner.

Agreed, the Offense is the weak link, albeit, one with a lot to work with, It is a matter of how well and how fast they come together. We have a good team, which is why I think 6-9 games is a fair range. I don't think our kids have the killer instinct to win more, but the potential is there.

"We will be one of, if not the, most physical team for every opponent on our schedule...especially the non-B1G teams.

To me, our offense will be the key to how many wins we garner."

I think it is all about the Oline. If we have a solid Oline, we will have a solid running game and in turn a sold passing game. I think we could have a pretty good attack.

However, the defense must improve against the pass. Last year we were 62nd vs the pass, We could have big problems in the pass happy ACC with a pass defense like that. If we can improve there and cut about 3 points per game from points against we would be in good shape.

One thing is certain - we will be physical.

Ok. Just a little about me. My pro teams are the Browns, Mets, WhiteSox, and BlackHawks. I dn't follow the NBA anymore, when I did it was the Milw Bucks (big Sidney Moncrief fan) So as you can see, I never expect anything from the teams I root for. (Ok the Blackhawks have been ok the last couple of years but before that?) That being said, I just don't want the Orange to beat themselves. Show up and play your best.

It looks like you don't follow MLB anymore either. ;)

Agreed, the Offense is the weak link, albeit, one with a lot to work with, It is a matter of how well and how fast they come together. We have a good team, which is why I think 6-9 games is a fair range. I don't think our kids have the killer instinct to win more, but the potential is there.

while our offense may be the weak link i still think they are a lot better then most people think. with our OL, and RB's we should be one of the better running teams in the conference. that should help alleviate some pressure from Hunt/Allen. We have solid TE's in Wales, and a go to WR in West. If Hunt/Allen emerge as being a capable qb who can stay away from turnovers our offense can be very good. i don't see many teams lining up and shutting down our running game unless our qb's are dreadful and can put 8 in the box every play...and i don't see that happening.

We are going to be good, and the year after that extremely good.

while our offense may be the weak link i still think they are a lot better then most people think. with our OL, and RB's we should be one of the better running teams in the conference. that should help alleviate some pressure from Hunt/Allen. We have solid TE's in Wales, and a go to WR in West. If Hunt/Allen emerge as being a capable qb who can stay away from turnovers our offense can be very good. i don't see many teams lining up and shutting down our running game unless our qb's are dreadful and can put 8 in the box every play...and i don't see that happening.

Agreed. Hunt could be really good in his Junior and Senior years. The backfield is so stacked that nobody even mentions RunDMC anymore. That is some change.

Agree with your assessment. A caretaker QB will be sufficient to win most games. I'm more positive on the team than many, though. I know that the coaching staff will have issues, too. Not with each other, per se, but with their new personnel/positions, game management, all "growing pains" and good problems if everyone is doing their job. I also think we will surprise many teams with our intensity, Hard Nosed play and willingness to take risks.

I think DMC eventually finds his way back on the defensive side of the ball.

Agreed. Hunt could be really good in his Junior and Senior years. The backfield is so stacked that nobody even mentions RunDMC anymore. That is some change.
I still believe in Macfarlane!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Please, do not think I am denigrating SU. Thats not my intent.

I saw how good your defense was against WVU, and, I think Clemson will have their hands full with them. And, CU's defense is not as good as their offense is. So, if your offense picks up from where it left off in 2012, it should be a great game.

Point spreads this time of year are kind of silly, IMHO.

Didn't take it as such.

IMHO Clemson will be the 2nd toughest game on or schedule this year (FSU is a roadie) butI think we have at least a punchers chance in both. We'll need to play clean (avoid 15 yard pens like USC game last year) and get a couple fortunate bounces but we won't roll over.

Our offense is a huge unknown at this point but our D will be stout. Clemson has some huge weapons on offense but despite playing in a less prestigious conference prior to this year we've faced NFL talent a fair amount due to our brutal OOC scheduling. We've faced QB's of that level with mixed results and we've seen a handful of WR's last year that are on the level of Clemson's. At the very least, we won't be shell shocked by the talent that lines up across the ball from us.

Didn't take it as such.

IMHO Clemson will be the 2nd toughest game on or schedule this year (FSU is a roadie) butI think we have at least a punchers chance in both. We'll need to play clean (avoid 15 yard pens like USC game last year) and get a couple fortunate bounces but we won't roll over.

Our offense is a huge unknown at this point but our D will be stout. Clemson has some huge weapons on offense but despite playing in a less prestigious conference prior to this year we've faced NFL talent a fair amount due to our brutal OOC scheduling. We've faced QB's of that level with mixed results and we've seen a handful of WR's last year that are on the level of Clemson's. At the very least, we won't be shell shocked by the talent that lines up across the ball from us.

Had Coach Marrone (sp?) returned to Syracuse, I guarantee that ACC region writers would think more highly of you than they do at present. Its only because your new HC is the big unknown variable at this point.

Had Coach Marrone (sp?) returned to Syracuse, I guarantee that ACC region writers would think more highly of you than they do at present. Its only because your new HC is the big unknown variable at this point.
Well, that and QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom