A word of defense for our ass't coaches | Syracusefan.com

A word of defense for our ass't coaches

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
We all hear and say boy do we miss Hopkins. And we do. But to be fair, the world that Hopkins entered as an ass't at syracuse is a different one than the one the Syracuse ass'ts are dealing with now. When Hop started coaching, and recruiting on the road, JB was in his 50's. There was no negative recruiting about his age. That continued in to JB's 60's. When JB aged, Hop could sit in a living room and tell recruits and their parents, if JB isn't here, I will be. Now, our guys are recruiting for a guy in his mid 70's. Everyone knows he can't coach much longer. And no one, including the ass'ts, know who the next coach is going to be. Even JW doesn't know for sure. Plus, it's made even tougher because we are no longer a big dog in the East. And our teams haven't been all that good. Plus, they don't get the help from the Head coach on the road that they once did. And it's only going to get worse. While I do think the young players on this team will get better, it's going to get a lot tougher to recruit with JB as the Head coach. By the way, I'm not advocating that the next head coach has to keep this staff. He can make a total change for all I care. It's just a reminder that these coaches haven't been given the same deal as Syracuse ass'ts before had been.

At what point does negative recruiting because of the coach's age become a thing. Roy Williams is 69, Tom Izzo is 64, coach K is 72. I feel like we've heard about the age thing for a while. Why doesn't it seem to affect these guys? I know some good sources have said JB doesn't get on the road to recruit like he used to. Does he do it less than his counterparts? If he does, doesn't that simply mean he isn't doing his job? Is it JB's age that allows competitors to negatively recruit or does the lack of recent success open the door to it? Would it be any kind of an issue if we were in the top 25 and making the tournament with a 5 seed or better? Is it simply chronological age that matters or does the perception of a curmudgeonly personality make it more of a deal?

We all hear and say boy do we miss Hopkins. And we do. But to be fair, the world that Hopkins entered as an ass't at syracuse is a different one than the one the Syracuse ass'ts are dealing with now. When Hop started coaching, and recruiting on the road, JB was in his 50's. There was no negative recruiting about his age. That continued in to JB's 60's. When JB aged, Hop could sit in a living room and tell recruits and their parents, if JB isn't here, I will be. Now, our guys are recruiting for a guy in his mid 70's. Everyone knows he can't coach much longer. And no one, including the ass'ts, know who the next coach is going to be. Even JW doesn't know for sure. Plus, it's made even tougher because we are no longer a big dog in the East. And our teams haven't been all that good. Plus, they don't get the help from the Head coach on the road that they once did. And it's only going to get worse. While I do think the young players on this team will get better, it's going to get a lot tougher to recruit with JB as the Head coach. By the way, I'm not advocating that the next head coach has to keep this staff. He can make a total change for all I care. It's just a reminder that these coaches haven't been given the same deal as Syracuse ass'ts before had been.
I'm not disagreeing but how many top 25 guys are looking for a 4 year plan? Top 50? Maybe a two year plan. Top 100 guys? Maybe they are looking at four years but the NBA is still their dream. When our guys need to focus on now is our NBA 1st round pick draft record. It's going backwards but it's still pretty good

Do you believe the assistant coaches tell JB what he needs to hear or what JB wants to hear?

I don’t think Griffin or GMac really could stand up and say something JB needs to hear. Autry might have the equity but does he?

Who runs the day to day practices now? Any Idea?

Whomever is in charge of recruiting big guys is doing a terrible job.
Whomever is in charge of recruiting PGs is not doing well either.
We have gotten solid wing players and shooting guard options.

Strength and conditioning isn’t working that well either as in would better Sidibe and Marek haven’t gained that much weight.

We've seen everyone's thoughts on the big guy but what about the assistants? What do you think happens with their future?

I have to be honest I am pretty much in total agreement. Not sure I can give the assistants a total pass that is YTBD. However players choose to play for a head coach not the assistant. Not many 17-19 year old kids are going to choose playing for a 75 year old who has been known to bury highly touted freshman on the bench to earn their stripes, and isn't afraid to blast players to the public in press conferences.

They have swung and missed on bringing in a legit 4/5 that intimidates players down low on the defensive end and one that can manufacture points by any means necessary on the offensive end the last 5 or so cycles if I can remember correctly.

JAB is a legend and it hurts to see the current product. I don't know if I should laugh or cry with how ugly this is.

See your points but JB has created this culture. If the assistant coaches aren’t trying to make the team better by offering criticism of certain areas, then they are not doing their job effectively, in my opinion. And if they are not working in an environment conducive to productive and constructive conversations, then that’s on the head coach and the AD needs to see that and step in.

The one main thing I agree with you about is the recruiting front. That area has completely passed the old man by. You can see it with the way we completely and totally avoid trying to go after kids who are high, high major. When we do get in the mix with one, it’s almost by accident (I. Jackson) or it’s a local product (I.Stewart). Not much in between.

At what point does negative recruiting because of the coach's age become a thing. Roy Williams is 69, Tom Izzo is 64, coach K is 72. I feel like we've heard about the age thing for a while. Why doesn't it seem to affect these guys? I know some good sources have said JB doesn't get on the road to recruit like he used to. Does he do it less than his counterparts? If he does, doesn't that simply mean he isn't doing his job? Is it JB's age that allows competitors to negatively recruit or does the lack of recent success open the door to it? Would it be any kind of an issue if we were in the top 25 and making the tournament with a 5 seed or better? Is it simply chronological age that matters or does the perception of a curmudgeonly personality make it more of a deal?

With Roy and Izzo, there is a history of success predating both of them with each program. With Duke, the available coaching tree and the incredible brand of Duke means once he hangs them up, there will be a line all the way to chapel hill for that job.

With JB he is really all anyone knows regarding SU basketball and success. Hop was the closest thing we have had to being that guy everyone associates with SU basketball and thus was a strong fit to carry the brand from the batters box. Now you have the one and only JB with no clear picture of for how long or where the program will be when that happens. The brand had been diluted and is sliding toward tarnishment with every year we go backwards. I think there are many things that make it easy for negative recruiting with JB. His age is maybe the catalyst to this but it's more than just that.

I found it interesting when Dino mentioned the defense has to evolve because of all the different styles of play in the ACC. Do you think JB is evolving? He keeps doing the same things over and over. He says we need better moving. Our guys are moving all the time, but it’s not “purposeful movement”. Our wings don‘t curl tight off screens or flare off to the corner based on how the defense reacts. Our bigs don’t screen, they just stand there and let the wings run around them.

K and Izzo can be as curmudgeonly as JB.

Way I see it, I'm not sure if our current crop of coaches get outside of the program enough as coaches to innovate.

Both Red and Allen have worked for other programs and coaches. In fact AG has worked for more D1 college programs than Red has (13 years before SU at St Francis, Providence, Hofstra, and Dayton). Red has been a high school and AAU Coach before SU in addition to being a VaTech assistant and was headed to Dayton with Archie Miller when he opted to come here instead. Only GMAC’s experience has been limited to his 8 years here at SU.

Both Red and Allen have worked for other programs and coaches. In fact AG has worked for more D1 college programs than Red has (13 years before SU at St Francis, Providence, Hofstra, and Dayton). Red has been a high school and AAU Coach before SU in addition to being a VaTech assistant and was headed to Dayton with Archie Miller when he opted to come here instead. Only GMAC’s experience has been limited to his 8 years here at SU.
Right. I know. I don't think it's enough though.

And I've long maintained that GMAC needs to leave the nest.

Since Griffin has come on, has anything in our style of play changed?

Did Hop change our style of play while here? Do assistants change the style of play when hired by a head coach?

Edwards needs to put on 20 pounds, and immediately. More important then 7 minutes a game.

He should be getting pushed harder then anyone on the team. And he needs to be a half-step quicker on top of that. If he puts on 18-20 pounds, Hughes returns, and we find a tall freshmen sg who can give us 10-12 ppg and play a bit of D (tyus battle mold), we will be competing for best in the acc and the country next year.
No Opinion, No Joke.

Last edited:
Edwards needs to put on 20 pounds, and immediately. More important then 7 minutes a game.

He should be getting pushed harder then anyone on the team. And he needs to be a half-step quicker on top of that. If he puts on 18-20 pounds, Hughes returns, and we find a tall freshmen sg who can give us 10-12 ppg and play a bit of D (tyus battle mold), we will be competing for best in the acc and the country next year.
No Opinion, No Joke.
Immediately put on 20 pounds while also getting faster? Hmm, I’m not sure you understand how the human body works.

Immediately put on 20 pounds while also getting faster? Hmm, I’m not sure you understand how the human body works.
Yeah, but to be fair, the OP did qualify that he was only looking for a "half-step quicker" from this immediate transformation.

"No Opinion, No Joke" was the real gold here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom