A word of defense for our ass't coaches | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A word of defense for our ass't coaches

I'm not disagreeing but how many top 25 guys are looking for a 4 year plan? Top 50? Maybe a two year plan. Top 100 guys? Maybe they are looking at four years but the NBA is still their dream. When our guys need to focus on now is our NBA 1st round pick draft record. It's going backwards but it's still pretty good
To build on your post, how many assistants can honestly asure ANY recruit that a head coah will be around for 4 years.

Edwards needs to put on 20 pounds, and immediately. More important then 7 minutes a game.

He should be getting pushed harder then anyone on the team. And he needs to be a half-step quicker on top of that. If he puts on 18-20 pounds, Hughes returns, and we find a tall freshmen sg who can give us 10-12 ppg and play a bit of D (tyus battle mold), we will be competing for best in the acc and the country next year.
No Opinion, No Joke.
Hugs not drugs

Do you believe the assistant coaches tell JB what he needs to hear or what JB wants to hear?

One thing I've noticed over the years is that we are one of the very few teams where our head coach and assistant coaches don't sit next to each other on the bench during games. There's always a player or two sitting in-between JB and Hopkins/GMac/Autry/Griffin. And I think there is actually a significance to that. It doesn't seem like JB is interested at all in feedback from assistants during games.

I don't 'rip' the assistants, because there's no way for me to know how good they are. They don't have a 'record' of wins/losses, and they're still always under the command of JB.

I would have thought the only reason JB's age is/has been an issue is because a retirement had already been announced, then rescinded. That's what puts doubt into minds. I don't think anyone negatively recruits against other coaches due to age, because you kinda need a reason to believe the age is a concern. The other thing that didn't help us was that photo of JB asleep in the gym... Oh, and if i were a competing recruiter, i would certainly emphasize the 'fact'(?) that JB turns over a large part of the 'coaching' to assistants and just watches from a perch. One could easily paint those optics as him being too tired/lazy to be super hands-on, as i would hope other, more youthful and energetic coaches would be. But, hey—maybe that's not such a unique setup. But, if i didn't do things that way, i'd sell it as a negative to a high schooler, for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom