Aaron Hackett, Mikel Jones and Eric Coley Press Conference | Sept 1 | Syracusefan.com

Aaron Hackett, Mikel Jones and Eric Coley Press Conference | Sept 1

Mikel Jones up first. He's asked about the potential for players sitting out in protest of social injustice. Jones said there's nothing like that in the works, but the team wants to find ways to make an impact in that fight.

Jones on Syracuse rebounding from last year: "We've just got a chip on our shoulder. We feel like nobody believes in us." Says the team should've prepared better for certain games last year.

Jones on the 3-3-5 install: "When we came back for the summer, everybody got locked in. I feel like we're pretty good as far as the knowledge of the defense, knowing what everybody's got to do."

Jones asked about the team meeting following the shooting of Jacob Blake. He said he wasn't at the meeting as he was dealing with an academic responsibility. Jones emphasized that players want each other to feel comfortable speaking openly. That's the path toward enacting change.

Jones on the 3-3-5: "We love it. It gives us an opportunity to go out there and play faster." Personally, Jones said he's ready to be a leader. He worked this offseason to prove to new DC Tony White that he deserved to be on the first team.

Jones was listed with the second team on the pre-spring depth chart with the understanding that there would be widespread competition. Nothing official has been put out since. Jones said inside LBs have practiced with multiple pairings throughout camp.

Jones said one of his main focuses was gaining weight. He went from 214 when he went home for the pandemic to 230. Jones said he dropped another five pounds during summer workouts.

Jones said he never considered opting out. He understands why others have. "I wanted to ball."

Interesting. Jones said he's practicing at weak-side linebacker with Geoff Cantin-Arku at middle linebacker. Unclear if they're locked in as the starters, but it sounded like they're at least the current 1s.

Hackett on now. Said he went to train in Florida after last season and thought he made significant strides. Then he suffered an injury after going home for the pandemic, but was able to continue working out in some fashion. Said "the sky is the limit" for SU's offense this year.

Hackett said that offseason training in Florida included a strict regimen and working out with former NFL players including Anquan Boldin.

Hackett believes everyone currently practicing will play in Week 1, but admitted situations change daily as new information is brought to the table. When asked about players who are not practicing, Hackett says the team is keeping that internal.

Hackett raves about sophomore TE Luke Benson and the versatility the offense can have when both are on the field together. That TE usage is definitely one of the things I'm most intrigued to see early this year. Tough balance to strike with pass pro needs.

Hackett said new OC Sterlin Gilbert has added "wrinkles" to make use of Hackett's skill set. He's proven really subtle as a blocker/route runner, doing most of his damage as a receiver in the red zone.

Hackett speaks highly of training with Anquan Boldin at XPE Sports in Fort Lauderdale. Describes Boldin as humble and meek, as well as patient in his teaching. Hackett said pros regularly walked into the facility, including Mark Ingram and Travis Kelce.

Hackett pointed to efficiency in his footwork -- staying inside the framework of his body -- as a key to gaining separation. He knows he may be at a speed disadvantage against DBs. Body positioning can help mitigate that.

Eric Coley said he's spent time practicing at Rover -- where he began the spring -- and boundary safety. "Cisco and I made the flip." Coley said they still go back and forth. He pointed to Ja'Had Carter and Cam Jonas as two other DBs who've stood out to him during camp.

Coley called new DC Tony White a "player's coach." Fun, fast, physical culture is being built.

Coley said the team started preparing for North Carolina this will and will shifts its focus full-time to the opener tomorrow.

More Coley on Tony White, this time re the defense meshing: "There's nothing that you can't not like about him. It was easy -- like he's always been here." Said White teaches individually, pulling guys aside, rather than yelling in front of others.

Last edited:
Mikel Jones. Maturity.

so the WLB spring DC was Richards and Kpogba. Very interesting development.

I mentioned Jonas and the freshman Carter after the last scrimmage. Really excited to hear both get a shoutout. Carter was once a VT commit and Jonas had more offers than Nunn. Both were absolute steals and both heavily offered by major powers until grades and injury opened the door for us.

Mikel Jones. Maturity.

I mentioned Jonas and the freshman Carter after the last scrimmage. Really excited to hear both get a shoutout. Carter was once a VT commit and Jonas had more offers than Nunn. Both were absolute steals and both heavily offered by major powers until grades and injury opened the door for us.

really like Jonas’s potential. His knee injury helped people forget how good he was. He had heavy Florida pressure before signing. I fully expect him to get major minutes.

Mikel Jones. Maturity.

I’ve heard great things about Labrosse

Mikel Jones. Maturity.

so the WLB spring DC was Richards and Kpogba. Very interesting development..

Absolutely no inside info but reading tea leaves ... Tyrell Richards opting out? No socials appearances and Dino said LB was experiencing same issues as RB. Add to that — Jones, a younger player, getting 1st team reps at his position and the media opportunity. I’m thinking we don’t see him this year which is disappointing because he seemingly is tailor made for this defense. Hope I am wrong.

Really appreciate you writing these up.

Mikel Jones up first. He's asked about the potential for players sitting out in protest of social injustice. Jones said there's nothing like that in the works, but the team wants to find ways to make an impact in that fight.

Jones on Syracuse rebounding from last year: "We've just got a chip on our shoulder. We feel like nobody believes in us." Says the team should've prepared better for certain games last year.

Jones on the 3-3-5 install: "When we came back for the summer, everybody got locked in. I feel like we're pretty good as far as the knowledge of the defense, knowing what everybody's got to do."

Jones asked about the team meeting following the shooting of Jacob Blake. He said he wasn't at the meeting as he was dealing with an academic responsibility. Jones emphasized that players want each other to feel comfortable speaking openly. That's the path toward enacting change.

Jones on the 3-3-5: "We love it. It gives us an opportunity to go out there and play faster." Personally, Jones said he's ready to be a leader. He worked this offseason to prove to new DC Tony White that he deserved to be on the first team.

Jones was listed with the second team on the pre-spring depth chart with the understanding that there would be widespread competition. Nothing official has been put out since. Jones said inside LBs have practiced with multiple pairings throughout camp.

Jones said one of his main focuses was gaining weight. He went from 214 when he went home for the pandemic to 230. Jones said he dropped another five pounds during summer workouts.

Jones said he never considered opting out. He understands why others have. "I wanted to ball."

Interesting. Jones said he's practicing at weak-side linebacker with Geoff Cantin-Arku at middle linebacker. Unclear if they're locked in as the starters, but it sounded like they're at least the current 1s.

Hackett on now. Said he went to train in Florida after last season and thought he made significant strides. Then he suffered an injury after going home for the pandemic, but was able to continue working out in some fashion. Said "the sky is the limit" for SU's offense this year.

Hackett said that offseason training in Florida included a strict regimen and working out with former NFL players including Anquan Boldin.

Hackett believes everyone currently practicing will play in Week 1, but admitted situations change daily as new information is brought to the table. When asked about players who are not practicing, Hackett says the team is keeping that internal.

Hackett raves about sophomore TE Luke Benson and the versatility the offense can have when both are on the field together. That TE usage is definitely one of the things I'm most intrigued to see early this year. Tough balance to strike with pass pro needs.

Hackett said new OC Sterlin Gilbert has added "wrinkles" to make use of Hackett's skill set. He's proven really subtle as a blocker/route runner, doing most of his damage as a receiver in the red zone.

Hackett speaks highly of training with Anquan Boldin at XPE Sports in Fort Lauderdale. Describes Boldin as humble and meek, as well as patient in his teaching. Hackett said pros regularly walked into the facility, including Mark Ingram and Travis Kelce.

Hackett pointed to efficiency in his footwork -- staying inside the framework of his body -- as a key to gaining separation. He knows he may be at a speed disadvantage against DBs. Body positioning can help mitigate that.

Eric Coley said he's spent time practicing at Rover -- where he began the spring -- and boundary safety. "Cisco and I made the flip." Coley said they still go back and forth. He pointed to Ja'Had Carter and Cam Jonas as two other DBs who've stood out to him during camp.

Coley called new DC Tony White a "player's coach." Fun, fast, physical culture is being built.

Coley said the team started preparing for North Carolina this will and will shifts its focus full-time to the opener tomorrow.

More Coley on Tony White, this time re the defense meshing: "There's nothing that you can't not like about him. It was easy -- like he's always been here." Said White teaches individually, pulling guys aside, rather than yelling in front of others.

Absolutely no inside info but reading tea leaves ... Tyrell Richards opting out? No socials appearances and Dino said LB was experiencing same issues as RB. Add to that — Jones, a younger player, getting 1st team reps at his position and the media opportunity. I’m thinking we don’t see him this year which is disappointing because he seemingly is tailor made for this defense. Hope I am wrong.
Would suck if Richards opted out. I was expecting big things from him this year. However everyone has the right and their own personal reason to opt out. I respect each players own personal decision.

quite possibly.

I’ve heard great things about Labrosse

yeah but was he a take for ruckers?

Would suck if Richards opted out. I was expecting big things from him this year. However everyone has the right and their own personal reason to opt out. I respect each players own personal decision.

he hasn’t been on any photos from practice and I thought he would have been a stand out this year so most likely opting out from the look of it. I haven’t seen anything on Kpogba either

I mean, Jones was a starter last season. Younger player, but that was always true and never prevented him from playing.

Do they not wear the extra padding helmet concussion protectors anymore? Just wondering

He is there

Thank you for your post.
other than the 2 solid opt outs I don’t see any others opting out before game 1 .
Our whole key is stay healthy of course
And have our 2 guards play well until we heal up around mid season and others return
That’s pretty much what is going to make or break us . Oh and of course any virus positives on the team during the season .

other than the 2 solid opt outs I don’t see any others opting out before game 1 .
And have our 2 guards play well until we heal up around mid season and others return
That’s pretty much what is going to make or break us . Oh and of course any virus positives on the team during the season .
Thank you. Im actually excited for this year. Given the extra year of eligibility, two new coordinators, youth across the board it will be a free swing in many ways for the staff to experiment with personal

That’s some really good helpful info. Thank you Redrum.

here’s hoping the OLcan stay healthy and strong this season

Anyone have an idea what o line are out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom