About a new coach... | Syracusefan.com

About a new coach...

OregonOrange

Walk On
I live in Oregon so I have a front row seat for the Ducks phenomena. However, the OSU Beavers are a more interesting success story. They get the recruiting scraps, have an alum coach (Mike Riley) and small, uninteresting facilities in the middle of nowhere (Corvallis). Yet they've been getting wins for several years now. If only this were SU's story...

Mike has been 5-7 and 3-9 last two years as well, he has had some ups and downs but I agree is a very good coach. Marrone needs a few more ups but Riley has had 3-4 losing seasons as well.

Riley is what Marrone could hopefully become if given time.

However, Riley's record after 4 years was 23 and 24 with two bowl wins.

Marrone's record after 4 years is certain to be worse. He's at 24 losses right now.

I live in Oregon so I have a front row seat for the Ducks phenomena. However, the OSU Beavers are a more interesting success story. They get the recruiting scraps, have an alum coach (Mike Riley) and small, uninteresting facilities in the middle of nowhere (Corvallis). Yet they've been getting wins for several years now. If only this were SU's story...

Before Riley's 1st tenure as Oregon St HC, the school had so little football history it did not matter at all. So his 2 years in Corvallis then with losing records don't mean much - no more than Schiano starting with 2 losing teams at Rutgers.

Riley's predecessor had 6 straight losing teams, the last 2 being 1-10 and 2-9. Riley immediately improved things, going 3-8 and 5-6. That and Riley being well known already as an etremely bright young coach had the NFL and several other colleges hot after him.

What Riley has accomplished at a clear #2 football school in a very small state, at the same time that its instate rival has had several fortunes donated to its athletics department, is nothing short of amazing.

Syracuse has much more going for it than Oregon St did, but the key is hiring the right HC.