Academic bonuses for athletes, $5,980 a year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Academic bonuses for athletes, $5,980 a year

Nahh. We won't do this. Weird things might happen. If we were with the 25 schools that did? We might get too many higher ranked recruits. We might win too many games. We might start selling out games, and have to charge a higher ticket price. Yuck.

If half the team earned the full reward? That's 500k. Way too much to field a better team.

Although, in all honestly, I think we'd axe it because it would be seen as too much student inequity.

At some point you have to decide if you want to keep playing the game. And I don't mean football.

Just wait til the "$6,000 per year stipend for not getting arrested" is announced by the SEC.

(I believe a case could be made to have some form of incentive in the first year, while some students are forming good study and work habits, especially if they come from a background where that was lacking. But to continue to pay beyond that? I don't even pay my middle schooler to get good grades. I'm at the point now where, if it means "forfeiting a recruiting advantage" and it has a material effect, so be it. This is ridiculous. I can do without college football.)
Arrested? Too high of a standard

Better make it Convicted.

Hard no here. Could be as much as more than $4m for SU. And aside from the cost, it makes zero sense to pay someone for doing what they should be trying to do anyways. Not to mention the fraud potential. Enough is enough.

Hard no here. Could be as much as more than $4m for SU. And aside from the cost, it makes zero sense to pay someone for doing what they should be trying to do anyways. Not to mention the fraud potential. Enough is enough.
Agree. At some point, the schools that want to be pro franchises and the schools that still value integrity and ethics are going to be identified and split.

This might be that point. I am happy for the kids that are getting this money. Hope it makes a difference in their lives and increases their quality of life.

I follow college athletics because I still hope the kids on the Syracuse teams are playing for more than themselves. I hope they are playing for the SU fans and yes, that block S on their uniforms.

We know this is not the case for pro athletes. Which is fine by me. I watch pro sports because those athletes are the best.

NIL was still tolerable to me. Giving athletes stipends for classes crosses a line for me. I can’t root for these pros.

College sports was great for a long time. I hope some schools see this as a line in the sand they cannot cross. I really hope Syracuse in particular refuses to turn their athletes into employees.

If they do, I am afraid that is the end of the line for me for college sports. Again, I am glad for the athletes getting paid and hope they spend their money wisely.

I also hope the schools they refuse to make the payments refuse to play the schools that do. If Alabama wants to win this badly, great. Become a pro club. Pay all your employee athletes what it takes to get them on campus. Play all the other ‘schools’ that want to do this. Knock yourself out.

This isn’t for me. I am not supporting these franchises. College sports has been really fun to follow but all good things come go an end.

Agree. At some point, the schools that want to be pro franchises and the schools that still value integrity and ethics are going to be identified and split.

This might be that point. I am happy for the kids that are getting this money. Hope it makes a difference in their lives and increases their quality of life.

I follow college athletics because I still hope the kids on the Syracuse teams are playing for more than themselves. I hope they are playing for the SU fans and yes, that block S on their uniforms.

We know this is not the case for pro athletes. Which is fine by me. I watch pro sports because those athletes are the best.

NIL was still tolerable to me. Giving athletes stipends for classes crosses a line for me. I can’t root for these pros.

College sports was great for a long time. I hope some schools see this as a line in the sand they cannot cross. I really hope Syracuse in particular refuses to turn their athletes into employees.

If they do, I am afraid that is the end of the line for me for college sports. Again, I am glad for the athletes getting paid and hope they spend their money wisely.

I also hope the schools they refuse to make the payments refuse to play the schools that do. If Alabama wants to win this badly, great. Become a pro club. Pay all your employee athletes what it takes to get them on campus. Play all the other ‘schools’ that want to do this. Knock yourself out.

This isn’t for me. I am not supporting these franchises. College sports has been really fun to follow but all good things come go an end.
I think you’re right - and that this is where things are headed. College sports will just be corporate entities. Education will be eliminated. The connection with Universities will be minimal beyond name or location.

I finally realized why this bothers me so much.

College football is a weird artificial arrangement in which players are paid "in kind" through the value of their scholarship and education, while maintaining amateur status. Players "pay" for their education through their labor on the football team. The governing body (NCAA) regulates eligibility according to players' educational status. It's a weird quasi-job. You come here and play football, and we give you the education. There is no provision, conceptually, for being paid extra in cash for performing the job function for which you were hired, and for which the remuneration has already been set.

I think this policy can be challenged on the grounds that it violates the entire premise of amateur status. NIL at least is confined to the actions of private parties. This is the employer/school paying the students directly, for something that is not supposed to be cash-remunerable.

I finally realized why this bothers me so much.

College football is a weird artificial arrangement in which players are paid "in kind" through the value of their scholarship and education, while maintaining amateur status. Players "pay" for their education through their labor on the football team. The governing body (NCAA) regulates eligibility according to players' educational status. It's a weird quasi-job. You come here and play football, and we give you the education. There is no provision, conceptually, for being paid extra in cash for performing the job function for which you were hired, and for which the remuneration has already been set.

I think this policy can be challenged on the grounds that it violates the entire premise of amateur status. NIL at least is confined to the actions of private parties. This is the employer/school paying the students directly, for something that is not supposed to be cash-remunerable.
It's already had a 9-0 ruling by the Supreme Court.

It's already had a 9-0 ruling by the Supreme Court.
I haven't read the case in question. Was it directly on point?

Did they address the legality of the cash payment in detached Constitutional terms, or whether it comports with the regulation scheme of a private body?

I'm not sure that a SCOTUS case addresses the exact issue I raised. My concern is not so much that the "cash for C's" scheme is legal, but that it violates a precept of the organizing principle for amateur collegiate athletics. Maybe a SCOTUS decision simply says that you can't enforce an amateur athletics framework of the kind in place.

I haven't read the case in question. Was it directly on point?

Did they address the legality of the cash payment in detached Constitutional terms, or whether it comports with the regulation scheme of a private body?

I'm not sure that a SCOTUS case addresses the exact issue I raised. My concern is not so much that the "cash for C's" scheme is legal, but that it violates a precept of the organizing principle for amateur collegiate athletics. Maybe a SCOTUS decision simply says that you can't enforce an amateur athletics framework of the kind in place.
I am not a lawyer and won't even pretend I can speak intelligently on this. This link may answer some of your questions.

I am not a lawyer and won't even pretend I can speak intelligently on this. This link may answer some of your questions.

Well, there it is. The case was limited to the question of education-related benefits. Neither party wanted to broach the big picture of whether the NCAA is price-fixing compensation for athletic performance in violation of the Sherman Act. 9-0 opinion on this limited issue. And then Kavanaugh writes a concurrence to say that even though it wasn't raised, the whole NCAA practice of limiting compensation is probably illegal.

I believe you missed the point.
What point; that the NCAA is corrupt, they have been for a very long time. If it’s another point you think I am missing, please share that point.

What point; that the NCAA is corrupt, they have been for a very long time. If it’s another point you think I am missing, please share that point.
Don't make an existing problem worse.

Don't make an existing problem worse.
Do you think anyone with the power to effect the way the NCAA is run cares about what we think unless a fan revolt is organized and pressure is massive on every state legislature in the US! It could be accomplished if folks truly wish to have change and not just complain.

Last edited:

Add another school to the list.

If you want to play with the big boys, you gotta play with the big boys.

Personally I don’t agree with this concept, I’m too old school. But even I recognize we are only going to fall further behind if we don’t get on board with this.

If you don’t want to be irrelevant
- You need to be involved in the portal.
- You need to understand and be involved with NIL.
- You need to have an Alston Academic Program.

The 21 schools who said they will be providing the academic bonus are as follows: Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa State, Kentucky, LSU, Miami, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Ole Miss, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Texas Tech, Washington and Wisconsin.

Random group of schools as Alabama, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Penn St. are not paying bonuses, but UConn, Texas Tech, and Iowa St are.

So is this available to all students? Can a schmuck who is working his way through Newhouse by working a going to school get some green too? Or is it just for athletes?

yea, we cant get kids into a schools without merit but its ok to pay athletes once they are on the payroll.

I think my issue is the signal it sends to other students and alumni because I don’t assume it is available to the rest of the student population, although it should be, even if in the form of tuition relief. If as stated earlier in this thread, the “payment” for playing is the education, (I’m on board with this school of thought and often yelled it at my roommates) and by paying for performance in the classroom, you are devaluing that very education. It is now somehow worth less and that compensation loss needs to be made up for with additional cash. I would think it devalues the product and may impact ranking and enrollment at the extreme end of the spectrum. Ivy’s offer a large percentage of free education based on classroom merit. They also have an expectation that graduates make donations and industry networking to bolster the school endowment and value of that membership. People are knocking down their doors to gain access to that, and it’s awarded on academic promise. Ivys don’t offer athletic scholarships. Ivys will not devalue their education and it’s related alumni network.

Perhaps rather than incentivizing good grades with cash, we hire a bunch of guys who look like they grew up on a farm, and whose own fathers worked in the coal mines while also managing a farm, and give them leather belts to incentivize good grades. I’ve heard that method works.

I'm totally opposed to it for all the reasons that have been stated.

In addition, it incentivizes loading up on what used to be referred to as "jock majors"...a boatload of easy classes that resulted in a degree in Going to College.

We have had athletes that were very good students and were willing to challenge themselves with demanding majors. At least one of them publicly stated that the staff (Dino) pressured them to major in something that would result in zero risk of ineligibility. The player stood firm. Since the concept of being declared academically ineligible seems to be a thing of the past via who knows what mechanism (wink wink), this just seems like another way to instead steer an athlete towards easy classes and majors as a potential source of income.