Academic bonuses for athletes, $5,980 a year | Syracusefan.com

Academic bonuses for athletes, $5,980 a year

SUDadx2

2nd String
Schools can pay out academic bonuses of up to $5,980 annually per athlete for academic progress.

Where does Syracuse Athletics stand on this issue?

Schools can pay out academic bonuses of up to $5,980 annually per athlete for academic progress.

That's not going to encourage grade inflation and fraud, no. Shocked, shocked! I say.

Shouldn’t the “performing well” thing be part of the student-athlete’s motivation to come away from their college years with a degree? You are already getting a free ride and now you have to be paid on top of it to do what you are supposed to do?

All bigtime sports schools have their version of what used to be called “basket weaving” courses. Sometimes, players are encouraged to take them and steer clear of more demanding majors. We have had a few former players who were excellent students and told of their own experience where coaches discouraged their interest in highly technical majors.

Anyway, for those schools that have a high incidence of “basket weaving” majors, isn’t this just another way of paying players for doing something that 1)they are already supposed to do, and 2) getting paid for minimal effort in those majors where minimal effort is already part of the setup?

Gimme an L!

L!

Gimme an AH SOOT!

AWWE! SOOT! SOOT! SOOT!

What's that spell?!

LAWSUIT!!!

Shouldn’t the “performing well” thing be part of the student-athlete’s motivation to come away from their college years with a degree? You are already getting a free ride and now you have to be paid on top of it to do what you are supposed to do?

All bigtime sports schools have their version of what used to be called “basket weaving” courses. Sometimes, players are encouraged to take them and steer clear of more demanding majors. We have had a few former players who were excellent students and told of their own experience where coaches discouraged their interest in highly technical majors.

Anyway, for those schools that have a high incidence of “basket weaving” majors, isn’t this just another way of paying players for doing something that 1)they are already supposed to do, and 2) getting paid for minimal effort in those majors where minimal effort is already part of the setup?
Kids need a way to make pizza money. Let them get a job on campus, or at a local business!

Booster: I'll give you a six-figure job wiping tables at my restaurant.

The money here might as well be high-temperature hydrogen gas. It's going to leak through every aperture in existence, including the ones you don't know about yet.

Kids need a way to make pizza money. Let them get a job on campus, or at a local business!

Booster: I'll give you a six-figure job wiping tables at my restaurant.

The money here might as well be high-temperature hydrogen gas. It's going to leak through every aperture in existence, including the ones you don't know about yet.
Yup they used to do that years ago. Pearl worked at a company that did business with mine way back when. There used to be players all over who had ‘jobs’. The NCAA I believe stopped it for college athletes for the very reasons you noted - many were getting good bucks and bonuses for really no show jobs. Kids in college used to have local ‘host’ families too for home cooked meals, form local relationships etc and the NCAA stopped that because of it being subject to abuse by boosters.

Syracuse is not on the list. So they are behind the ball. This is not NIL, it's up to the school. So let's not see the response. "Pony up". Like I said before, we go head to head against some of the teams on the list so pony up SU. Haha fat chance.

I’m okay with academic bonuses but it should be on excelling in the classroom not progressing. If they make academic honor roll they get a bonuses. Encourages them to get great grades and excel. Coach only get bonuses when they do something special not just coach their team.

All of this NLI stuff will be met with the same narrative of “oh let’s see how fraudulent this gets”. And it probably will be fraudulent to a point. Most will be within the guidelines but there will always be outliers.

I’m okay with academic bonuses but it should be on excelling in the classroom not progressing. If they make academic honor roll they get a bonuses. Encourages them to get great grades and excel. Coach only get bonuses when they do something special not just coach their team.
Encourages payments to teachers to grade inflate, or workplace threats if they don't. Not sure why we are giving bonuses for kids doing what they should.

Encourages payments to teachers to grade inflate, or workplace threats if they don't. Not sure why we are giving bonuses for kids doing what they should.
Yeah, I thought the whole idea was to make sure that students and student athletes were treated the same. Will regular students get money for good grades?

I share all of the concerns regarding the potential for abuse. But the cow is already out of the barn. The NCAA has deemed this legal and 25 DI schools are already handing out the cash, including three ACC schools not named Syracuse.

Does Syracuse get on board or do the Orange forfeit another recruiting advantage to their opponents?

All of this NLI stuff will be met with the same narrative of “oh let’s see how fraudulent this gets”. And it probably will be fraudulent to a point. Most will be within the guidelines but there will always be outliers.
It's already gone well beyond what was envisioned. Anyone who didn't see this wasn't really thinking.

It’s a good thing there was no current academic fraud and grade inflation prior to this, lol
Better to ‘improve’ it and tie it to add an immediate cash return or loss for the athlete. :rolleyes:

I share all of the concerns regarding the potential for abuse. But the cow is already out of the barn. The NCAA has deemed this legal and 25 DI schools are already handing out the cash, including three ACC schools not named Syracuse.

Does Syracuse get on board or do the Orange forfeit another recruiting advantage to their opponents?
At some point you have to decide if you want to keep playing the game. And I don't mean football.

Just wait til the "$6,000 per year stipend for not getting arrested" is announced by the SEC.

(I believe a case could be made to have some form of incentive in the first year, while some students are forming good study and work habits, especially if they come from a background where that was lacking. But to continue to pay beyond that? I don't even pay my middle schooler to get good grades. I'm at the point now where, if it means "forfeiting a recruiting advantage" and it has a material effect, so be it. This is ridiculous. I can do without college football.)

The ncaa is inept. Congress will not do anything to regulate. Maybe the P5 break off and create standard rules for all teams. It may eventually happen because if not only a very small number of schools will be able to compete. Once this happens people may not watch which will affect tv revenue.