Academic casualties | Syracusefan.com

Academic casualties

VaSaltine

Starter
Other than Poncho Barnwell, whose academic struggles were well know, it doesn't appear we will have any surprise non-qualifiers unless there is someone I'm not thinking of. Can't remember the last time that happened. Am I forgetting anyone?

I don't miss the Pasqualoni days when half of his recruiting classes would never show up due to academics.

Who?

Paul Pasqualoni (born August 16, 1949)

Pasqualoni-Paul-Syracuse-Orange-02-ARTICLE.bmp

Pasqualoni was an assistant at Syracuse from 1987 until 1991, when he was promoted to head coach after the position was vacated by Dick MacPherson, who left for the NFL to coach the New England Patriots. The Orange (then known as the Orangemen) enjoyed a number of successful years with Pasqualoni at the helm. The team won the Fiesta Bowl over Colorado in 1992 and defeated Clemson 41-0 in Gator Bowl in 1995, Donovan McNabb's freshman year. The team had a 6-3 record in bowl games under Pasqualoni. Pasqualoni's 14-year record with Syracuse was 107-59-1. His only losing season was in 2002 with a 4-8 record. Most seasons of his tenure saw Syracuse competing in the Top 25 in the country.
While coach of the Orangemen, Pasqualoni's roots in Connecticut led him to recruit many star players from Connecticut high schools, including Bloomfield's Dwight Freeney, New Britain's Tebucky Jones and the McIntosh brothers from Cheshire High School.
At the conclusion of the 2004 season the team lost the Champs Sports Bowl 51-14. New athletic director Daryl Gross fired Pasqualoni on December 29, 2004, despite the fact that Syracuse's president, Nancy Cantor, publicly stated that Pasqualoni would be on the sidelines the next season.[5] He was replaced by Greg Robinson, who had been serving as the defensive coordinator at the University of Texas. During the 2005 season, the first season in 14 years without Pasqualoni leading the team, the Orange football team posted a record of 1-10, the worst record in the 117-year history of Syracuse University football.

;)

Paul Pasqualoni (born August 16, 1949)

Pasqualoni-Paul-Syracuse-Orange-02-ARTICLE.bmp

;)

That was a funny reply.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Who?

Just to name a few from PP's final days...

Larry McClain
Eric Ball
Eric Buchanan
Kevin Osifchin
Stacy Brown
Diego Oquendo
Courtney Greene
Jonathan Pierre-Etienne
Rob Jackson
Jamar Atkinson
Jhamal Fluellen
Donte Woodyard
Steven Simms
Ken Tinney
Richard Abney
Jeremy Horne
Adam Hearns
Lamar McPherson

I'm sure I'm missing some...

The point is, it's nice to look at a recruiting class in February and know that the vast majority of them will make it to SU. That hasn't always been the case.

Dom Timbers :rolling:
Other than Poncho Barnwell, whose academic struggles were well know, it doesn't appear we will have any surprise non-qualifiers unless there is someone I'm not thinking of. Can't remember the last time that happened. Am I forgetting anyone?

As of today there are four that haven't shown up in the directory yet, Morris, Hilliard and the two Jucos..Jones and Brewster.

As of today there are four that haven't shown up in the directory yet, Morris, Hilliard and the two Jucos..Jones and Brewster.

I don't think JUCO's are required to show up for the Summer Sessions. Just the Frosh.

Morris and Hilliard not being listed ... hopefully it's just a clerical error. :eek:

I don't think JUCO's are required to show up for the Summer Sessions. Just the Frosh.

Morris and Hilliard not being listed ... hopefully it's just a clerical error. :eek:

Yesterday I saw where McFarlane tweeted Morris wondering where he was. I never saw a reply back though. I hope as well that it does not mean anything.

Just to name a few from PP's final days...

Larry McClain
Eric Ball
Eric Buchanan
Kevin Osifchin
Stacy Brown
Diego Oquendo
Courtney Greene
Jonathan Pierre-Etienne
Rob Jackson
Jamar Atkinson
Jhamal Fluellen
Donte Woodyard
Steven Simms
Ken Tinney
Richard Abney
Jeremy Horne
Adam Hearns
Lamar McPherson

I'm sure I'm missing some...

The point is, it's nice to look at a recruiting class in February and know that the vast majority of them will make it to SU. That hasn't always been the case.

Much of your information is not accurate.

Much of your information is not accurate.

None of those players made it to campus for a variety of reasons not sure what is inaccurate about it.

Yesterday I saw where McFarlane tweeted Morris wondering where he was. I never saw a reply back though. I hope as well that it does not mean anything.
It would suck for them to not make it. Especially Hilliard with him being a DE. If Morris doesn't make it then at least we have a plethora of HB's.

It would suck for them to not make it. Especially Hilliard with him being a DE. If Morris doesn't make it then at least we have a plethora of HB's.
Morris is our best RB recruit since Carter. Hopefully it's something logistical and he arrives shortly.

None of those players made it to campus for a variety of reasons not sure what is inaccurate about it.

I think the original post indicated that half of Pasqualoni's recruits did not make it to campus due to academics.

This list is not accurate. I may have some of the specifics wrong, but here goes.

Kevin Osifichin decided that he did not want to go to college - he chose instead to go into law enforcement.

I'm pretty sure that Steven Simms chose not to go to school.

Larry McClain eventually made it to campus only to decide not to stay for personal reasons not related to academics.

Lamar McPherson played at SU.

So did Jamar Atkinson.

Courtney Greene took a scholarhsip with Rutgers after P was fired. I think J.P. Etienne also chose another school. Diego Oquendo played at Michigan State - I honestly do not recall why he went there over Syracuse - in fairness to the original post it could have been academics.

Adam Hearn was involved in a fight during high school that resulted I believe in criminal charges and a revocation of his scholarship offer.

There were of course some academic casualties but nowhere near the number suggested by the original post.

Hilliard tweeted yesterday that he was at college. Neither of them show up in the directory but I'd expect Hilliard to show up soon. Morris - not sure what the deal is there.

I think the original post indicated that half of Pasqualoni's recruits did not make it to campus due to academics.

This list is not accurate. I may have some of the specifics wrong, but here goes.

Kevin Osifichin decided that he did not want to go to college - he chose instead to go into law enforcement.

Larry McClain eventually made it to campus only to decide not to stay for personal reasons not related to academics.

So did Jamar Atkinson.

Courtney Greene took a scholarhsip with Rutgers after P was fired. I think J.P. Etienne also chose another school. Diego Oquendo played at Michigan State - I honestly do not recall why he went there over Syracuse - in fairness to the original post it could have been academics.

Adam Hearn was involved in a fight during high school that resulted I believe in criminal charges and a revocation of his scholarship offer.

There were of course some academic casualties but nowhere near the number suggested by the original post.

Horne made it here and then transfered to UMass.

So did Jamar Atkinson.

Osifichin did make it to SU briefly but left during his Frosh year to pursue law enforcement like you said.

Pretty sure Simms made it to campus but transferred after his Frosh year. Don't remember where to.

McPherson made it to SU but eventually transferred.

Adam Hearns - you're right on him. Wasn't academic related.

Eric Buchanan - decommited to TCU during the recruiting cycle, not an academic casualty. I assume this is being based on Scout's database - it's wrong (shocker).

Fluellen - I believe a heart condition ended his career, he did qualify and was at SU briefly IIRC.

Tinney didn't qualify, but he was a GROB recruit in GROB's first class.

Abney was a GROB recruit as well, part of GROB's first class. He qualified I believe but was only at SU briefly, never played.

Jeremy Horne played at SU then transferred out. He did spend a year at Milford but a year at Prep isn't a big deal as long as you eventually end up at SU, you're not losing any eligibility like the JUCO route.

Academic Casualties

McClain never made it to campus. Academics twice over, both out of HS and then after a prep year.

Eric Ball never qualified and don't know where he ended up.

Atkinson technically was an academic casualty because he had to JUCO due to academics and burned off 2 years of eligibility. He did eventually make after burning 2 years at Morrisville.

Courtney Greene was an academic casualty - he did not qualify in his original recruiting class (2004). Technically he never decommitted from SU, he just never re-committed to SU after he was qualified. He chose Rutgers instead along with Ray Rice the following year.

Stacy Brown - never made it. Academic casualty.

Diego Oquendo was similar to Greene. He didn't qualify and then when he was qualified a year later he chose to go to Michigan State.

Rob Jackson - didn't qualify. Went to JUCO out in Kansas and ended up at K State I think for his final 2 years.

Pierre-Etienne was similar to Greene and Oquendo. Didn't qualify and after a year he was qualified and chose to go to Rutgers.

Woodyard - never qualified. Don't think he ever played anywhere.

P's 2004 class was a disaster as far as non-qualifiers, I don't think that's arguable. That class alone had 7 non qualifiers out of 31 commits, 23% of the class, which is extremely high. Of those Non-qualifiers, only Curtis Brinkley made it to SU after a year at Prep school, and he had to be re-recruited by GROB. Brown, Oquendo, Greene, Jackson, Pierre-Etienne, and Woodyard were all part of that class and never made it at all.

Marrone has had non-qualifiers but most have fallen into the "year at Milford" boat, fortunately. The only ones that have never made it have been Dale Peterman, Dom Timbers, Tyree Smallwood and potentially Poncho Barnwell.

4 in 4 years, with the jury still out on Barnwell, is really good.

People might try to bring up Derek Hines and Henderson from Marrone's first class, but they were here and qualified, the both just flamed out during preseason camp.

P was a disaster in recruiting his last four years i doesnt matter why but it was a disaster

I don't care bout this topic, but I'm pretty sure Tep won. Damn.

Tinney was a P recruit, twice I think. He was also a Grob recruit. I think we tried 3 times to get him in here.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not liking th read on this thus far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom