Academic casualties | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Academic casualties

Another interesting statistic on that doomed 2004 recruiting class. Only 2 of 31 players graduated from SU and were drafted to the NFL - Tony Fiametta 4th Round 2009 and Ryan Durand 7th Round 2009 (6.5% of the class).

There were as many players that did not qualify and went elsewhere that were drafted - Rob Jackson - 7th round 2008 out of K State and Courtney Green - 7th round 2009 out of Rutgers.

I know other players from the class have played in the NFL as undrafted free agents, but I believe these are the only players from that class that were drafted.

Another interesting statistic on that doomed 2004 recruiting class. Only 2 of 31 players graduated from SU and were drafted to the NFL - Tony Fiametta 4th Round 2009 and Ryan Durand 7th Round 2009 (6.5% of the class).

There were as many players that did not qualify and went elsewhere that were drafted - Rob Jackson - 7th round 2008 out of K State and Courtney Green - 7th round 2009 out of Rutgers.

I know other players from the class have played in the NFL as undrafted free agents, but I believe these are the only players from that class that were drafted.

I have debated this topic too many times to get into it again but I do believe the conclusion is actually really simple. It is this: Kids not showing up and staying for ~4-5 years was a massive problem for this team in the early 2000s and was the biggest single factor in this team's disastrous decade+. Whether you want to blame that on P or on everything but P is immaterial. whether it was academics or another cause that took them out after a semester or a year, etc., is also immaterial. While people will tie themselves into knots about star ratings, the real key is actually getting kids here, developing them and seeing what you have 2-3 years down the road. Marrone appears to be doing this and it's a good thing. To suggest P -- whether it was his fault or not -- didn't have major issues in this regard is beyond intellectually dishonest. It's patently absurd.

He did spend a year at Milford but a year at Prep isn't a big deal as long as you eventually end up at SU, you're not losing any eligibility like the JUCO route.
True for the player, but SU would be out one scholarship player that year (unless they use it late on a B-lister). You almost have to look at these case by case to see who they could've gotten instead of the player that prepped.

True for the player, but SU would be out one scholarship player that year (unless they use it late on a B-lister). You almost have to look at these case by case to see who they could've gotten instead of the player that prepped.

Don't disagree. I will say though that I feel Marrone has done a really good job of managing the roster when that does happen. Raymon is a prime example of adding a potential impact player after the recruiting cycle when a player like Hilliard that is expected to qualify doesn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom