ACC: 72 team NCAA (E & W 1st 4) & other changes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC: 72 team NCAA (E & W 1st 4) & other changes

Let’s just have a big tournament with everyone invited every month. November through March. Five different champions every year!

The way I see it, college basketball is the single most forgiving sport in major sports. You get SO many opportunities to right the ship and turn your season around if you get off to a bad start. And even if you literally don't win a game in the regular season, you still have light at the end of the tunnel by winning your conference tourney. If you put your fate in the committee's hands on Selection Sunday, it's entirely your own fault.

Expanding to 72 is like ordering a drink but then asking your bartender to water it down more.

If you let 72 schools in that’s 21% of all NCAA D1.

NFL has 38% of their teams in the playoffs.

NBA 53%

NHL 52%.

MLB 33%.

It’s ok.
The talent/skill disparity of the pro leagues is much more tightly spaced than college.

The way I see it, college basketball is the single most forgiving sport in major sports. You get SO many opportunities to right the ship and turn your season around if you get off to a bad start. And even if you literally don't win a game in the regular season, you still have light at the end of the tunnel by winning your conference tourney. If you put your fate in the committee's hands on Selection Sunday, it's entirely your own fault.

Expanding to 72 is like ordering a drink but then asking your bartender to water it down more.
More like an extra couple of beers before the (no pun intended) shots get lined up.

More teams more dollars.
Is the NCAA making money on the play in games? I figured the only reason they had them was to make it easier for the power conference teams to get at larges.

Is the NCAA making money on the play in games? I figured the only reason they had them was to make it easier for the power conference teams to get at larges.
The #16s also get a win and win credit $$

I don't get it. Every time the tourney has expanded in the past it's been a success. At least in terms of the financial and eyeballs are concerned. (If it hadn't been, there be no discussion about expanding it again.)

What I believe is true. If the tourney consisted of the top 256 teams, we all would still end up loving it after a few years. (Sure would take a long time to fill out the brackets though.) I'm sure people will vehemently disagree, but I'm just as sure people would get use to it and start loving the format after 3 or 4 years. When the tourney went from 32 to 64, many people thought it was a horrible idea. They learned otherwise. It's not about watering down the product. It's about creating more product and bringing more eyeballs to the table. (Eyeballs from teams that don't normally make it.)

Laugh if you will, history has a way of repeating itself. I know, I know, but you don't want to be matched up with Cr@p-Cr@p State in the first round game. Are you telling me you wouldn't cheer for your team anyway? Come on, you know you would want to beat the S of those Cr@ppers all game long.

I don't get it. Every time the tourney has expanded in the past it's been a success. At least in terms of the financial and eyeballs are concerned. (If it hadn't been, there be no discussion about expanding it again.)

What I believe is true. If the tourney consisted of the top 256 teams, we all would still end up loving it after a few years. (Sure would take a long time to fill out the brackets though.) I'm sure people will vehemently disagree, but I'm just as sure people would get use to it and start loving the format after 3 or 4 years. When the tourney went from 32 to 64, many people thought it was a horrible idea. They learned otherwise. It's not about watering down the product. It's about creating more product and bringing more eyeballs to the table. (Eyeballs from teams that don't normally make it.)

Laugh if you will, history has a way of repeating itself. I know, I know, but you don't want to be matched up with Cr@p-Cr@p State in the first round game. Are you telling me you wouldn't cheer for your team anyway? Come on, you know you would want to beat the S of those Cr@ppers all game long.
You make a good point - but I bet most pools let people wait till it gets to 64 to do the brackets. ;) I can't speak to when it expanded to 64, but I do think most are against it being 68 or even 65. It seems like something the NCAA has kept in spite of what people want.

I have said college sports should have a national championship tournament in March and also a Champions League type tournament during the regular season.
No need to expand the 68.
If you want to make the sport more interesting In the regular season have a champions league type completion as well.

I have said college sports should have a national championship tournament in March and also a Champions League type tournament during the regular season.
No need to expand the 68.
If you want to make the sport more interesting In the regular season have a champions league type completion as well.
I think the idea of a Champions League tourney is perfect for college BBall

One of my old posts.
I really wish College hoops added a Champions League style competition during the season to make it more relevant than just March.

If the NCAA said the Champions League games would be exempt each year and the conferences got the TV money from whomever bought the rights to the NCAA basketball Champions League then it could work. There are 32 conferences you give each conference 1 bid and then the more successful conferences would get more of the 32 other slots like the UEFA Champions League which cap 4 slots for the best league La Liga, BPL, Bundesliga.
So you would get 32 teams, then each of these conferences would get an additional ACC-3 B1G-3, PAC-3, Big XII-3, MWC-1, SEC-3, AAC-2, A-10-2, Big East-3, Missouri Valley-1, and give out the remaining 7 slots to the lower conferences.

You draw the 64 teams into 16 regions. You seed them 1-64 regardless of conferences and keep the top 16 apart. Play the 3 teams you are drawn into home/home. The group winner goes on, tiebreakers are head to head/if that doesn't decide the higher seed advances.

From there you get the 16 remaining teams and draw matchups. If you want 32 teams runner ups as well.
You give group winners home court and after that it’s just random so a midmajor could host Final 8 games as well.

Again, these games would have to be sprinkled in during the regular season from November till before March and the conference tournaments. It would affect 64 of the 320+ NCAA teams each year, but it would generate a crapload of money and would get fun matchups. The winning team would play 9 additional games during the season, and participating teams would play only a minimum of 6 more games under my format.

Conference play would matter a lot more as you would be playing to finish in champions league spots. Losing a game in January would have a double effect it could be the difference between future champions league appearance and would reward teams that are consistent in conference play.

One of my old posts.
I really wish College hoops added a Champions League style competition during the season to make it more relevant than just March.

If the NCAA said the Champions League games would be exempt each year and the conferences got the TV money from whomever bought the rights to the NCAA basketball Champions League then it could work. There are 32 conferences you give each conference 1 bid and then the more successful conferences would get more of the 32 other slots like the UEFA Champions League which cap 4 slots for the best league La Liga, BPL, Bundesliga.
So you would get 32 teams, then each of these conferences would get an additional ACC-3 B1G-3, PAC-3, Big XII-3, MWC-1, SEC-3, AAC-2, A-10-2, Big East-3, Missouri Valley-1, and give out the remaining 7 slots to the lower conferences.

You draw the 64 teams into 16 regions. You seed them 1-64 regardless of conferences and keep the top 16 apart. Play the 3 teams you are drawn into home/home. The group winner goes on, tiebreakers are head to head/if that doesn't decide the higher seed advances.

From there you get the 16 remaining teams and draw matchups. If you want 32 teams runner ups as well.
You give group winners home court and after that it’s just random so a midmajor could host Final 8 games as well.

Again, these games would have to be sprinkled in during the regular season from November till before March and the conference tournaments. It would affect 64 of the 320+ NCAA teams each year, but it would generate a crapload of money and would get fun matchups. The winning team would play 9 additional games during the season, and participating teams would play only a minimum of 6 more games under my format.

Conference play would matter a lot more as you would be playing to finish in champions league spots. Losing a game in January would have a double effect it could be the difference between future champions league appearance and would reward teams that are consistent in conference play.
The other thing I like about this is it gives teams from the smaller conferences some nice matchups to try to improve their resumes...

sure, my question is if the games bring in more revenue than it costs to produce them.
The expenses for all NCAA championships for all sports at all levels are covered by the money from the TV contract with CBS. The gate at Dayton for those games is not really relevant in the NCAA's mind. IDK if there are provisions in the CBS contract about renegotiation if the tournament expands by X number of teams.

One of my old posts.

By allowing a 15 team ACC only 4 bids...you might as well just split the league in two.

By allowing a 15 team ACC only 4 bids...you might as well just split the league in two.
It’s like the soccer leagues.
You only want the top teams qualifying as it would be a reward for a good regular season and make the regular season more important.

My thoughts for a Champions Leage-style tournament...

- Each regular season conference winner from the year before gets a bid.
-They are then divided into 8 groups of four trying to balance the best they can by strength of conferences.
-Each team plays the other in their group once
-The winners from all the groups make one bracket, the teams that came in second form a bracket, etc (obviously there have to be tie breakers in place)
-Each team plays 3 games in their bracket (maybe seeded and home court according to RPI, I'm sure there are other ways it could be done) - if you win a game you play another winner, if you lose you play another loser

It's not perfect but it only takes up six games in the schedule and gives teams from weaker conferences the chance to get some good games on their resume. I know a major flaw is that it uses the previous season's outcomes but this would not replace the tourney. It would just add some excitement in the middle of the season.

Last edited:
Yes.

If u don’t want to watch, find another channel.

It’s also 2 more game to bet...

Speaking of which, I took my Preakness winnings and started betting simulcast races in South America.

So yeah, maybe we have too many bowl games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom