ACC, ACC! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, ACC!

Why does everyone expect VATech to carry the ACC? Other than racking up wins against easy OOC games, beating bottom feeders within the conference, and winning some respectable games, they still lose almost every big game. Essentially, they are Rutgers on steroids and the only offense they ever had was run by the Vick crime family.

Their success was more a factor of the weaknees of the conference than actual football prowess. They took advantage of circumstances but rarely capitalize on it.

So I ask again, why expect VATech to shoulder any real burden in the ACC?

Not sure anyone is "expecting" them to carry the ACC at this point. Pretty obvious that they've disappointed on a lot of fronts recently. However, they have had moderate success in the fairly recent past and I think people are just looking around for someone to step up, and Va Tech has to at least be part of that discussion.

The Rutgers comparison is a bit of a reach for the reason that you pointed out - Va Tech has won some respectable games.

It's gonna take more than one championship to change that perception
Recruiting has never been a problem for FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, etc. It's been said for years that the ACC's two best days every year are National Signing Day and the NFL draft. It's the on the field that, until this year, hasn't worked out.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I also remembered, I've been thinking the same thing for a decade now. Scandal aside, I think the potential is there to really take off.
I'm thinking that North Carolina is going to become the center of the college football world. NC has Fedora, NCSU has Doeren, Wake got Clawson and Duke is on its way to becoming the Stanford of the east. I think the state flips from BBall to FBall , especially since they have no hope of beating Syracuse in hoops!

I'm thinking that North Carolina is going to become the center of the college football world. NC has Fedora, NCSU has Doeren, Wake got Clawson and Duke is on its way to becoming the Stanford of the east. I think the state flips from BBall to FBall , especially since they have no hope of beating Syracuse in hoops!

I see what you're saying. I see 1 or 2 of them taking off, but not all 4. Plus, I'd like to see Cuse keep at least Wake and NC State in line with us being above them in the food chain overall. :)

Disagree. That same rationale is never applied in real world. Sportswriters are just as dumb as everybody else. Its all about managing perception. And the ACC should run as far with this as they can.

The story about the game from today's Washington Post has a lot ot say about the weakness of FSUs schedule and the rest of the teams in the ACC as compared to the strength of the SEC. I don't know what the rest of the sports press is going to say but if they follow suit the rest of the ACC won't benefit from any FSU "halo effect". Actually, the sporting public will be treated to a lot of impressions that the conference besides FSU is weak.

That's not me. Its the Washington Post.

Holding the ACC championship game in the nation's capital wouldn't be a bad idea. Washington was made the capital because of its central location to all the eastern states , the original 13 states are almost the footprint of the current ACC.

North Carolina is going to be the next big team in the ACC if they don't get destroyed by their scandal.
The potential has always been there they just need to fully commit. If they do, they could be a consistent Top 25 team.

Holding the ACC championship game in the nation's capital wouldn't be a bad idea. Washington was made the capital because of its central location to all the eastern states , the original 13 states are almost the footprint of the current ACC.
It would be poorly attended. Let's be honest, only a few teams travel well in the ACC.

It would be poorly attended. Let's be honest, only a few teams travel well in the ACC.
The teams have to travel to the game unless they are from North Carolina.

Schools in the ACC that have been in a BCS game are Syracuse, FSU, Clemson, VT, Pitt, Maryland/Louisville, Wake and who else? How does that rank vs the other conferences when it comes to numbers?

As much as I hated losing to FSU, this was what's best for the conference this season. Next season we need more OOC wins by all members, esp vs the SEC and B1G.

The worm will have turned when the lowest teams start to win OOC, consistently.

As much as I hated losing to FSU, this was what's best for the conference this season. Next season we need more OOC wins by all members, esp vs the SEC and B1G.

Virginia beat BYU which was a very nice win for the ACC's worst team OOC.

True. But there will always be teams at the bottom. We need teams #3 through #10 to distinguish themselves.

The Orange beat those POSERS from Minnesota in the Tejas Bowl , don't forget about how delicious that tastes. I can't what believe what a bunch of A'holes the Gophers and the B1G really are. Can't you still see them out there with their " You know we are a B1G team, don't you" pose. Their out of conference schedule was as weak as it gets and every win they had in conference came right when those teams were at their season low point. They can chew on that while they are freezing their asses off. Complete POSERS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom