ACC, ACC! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, ACC!

The importance of this can not be overstated. No the ACC is not yet equal to the SEC in football overall. But now the SEC in not invulnerable. Recruits can't be told going to the ACC means settling for 2nd tier status. Clemson winning over OSU is nice icing too.

It's gonna take more than one championship to change that perception

Great finish. As much as I respect and like the Auburn folks who were so hospitable to us when we played them a few years ago, the ACC needed this championship much worse than the SEC did. Florida State had to win this game so the ACC could avoid all the blowback that would have occurred about the SEC being the best BCS conference by far - and the ACC the worst. Kills that talk right in the bud.

And it makes the BiG look like the perennial underachievers they are. They had to cheat to win their last title. I hope Urban Meyer and Jim Delaney had fun watching tonight.

We won't be viewed on the SEC level yet but be damn sure that we just took a huge step to being that conference challenging them.

You defend to the death the absolute suckfest that is ACC basketball outside a couple teams, but s*** on ACC football when it has just won the BCS and the Orange Bowl.

I love that we are in this conference. It is a great place for Syracuse to build in football and to lead in basketball.

I'm actually consistent.

When people were on here spouting off about an FSU rout, my point was that I didn't think that they were going to roll over a good SEC team. They didn't.

When people are on here talking about SU being the class of the ACC, my point is that this is going to be tougher than people think.

Good conferences have lots of good teams in them. You are about to find out just how good ACC basketball is. An absolute suckfest? Lets see what you have to say in March.

It's gonna take more than one championship to change that perception
You gotta be kidding. Since I explicitly said it didn't yet overcome the SEC by any means in terms of perception you must mean that this literally makes NO difference... from being a conf who's only BCS win since its inception was FSU beating Northern Freaking Illinois nobodies to winning two BCS games against Ohio State and the SEC for the NC. That seriously doesn't make ANY dent in perception?

So what? Perception IS reality as perception drives recruiting which in turn becomes reality. The ACC just won the NC and the Orange bowl... that doesn't mean it overtakes the SEC in terms of perception... but it gets the ACC on a playing field where it can be a legit option for the absolute best recruits.

Maybe. Maybe not.

You saying it doesn't make it true.

The best ACC team beat the best SEC team. The second best SEC team lost to the second best Big 12 team.

I'd say the relative strength of the SEC in 2014 is in question.

The SEC's strength has always been about their depth. No one can put up as many good teams as they can (Pac-12 is getting there).

What will be funny is watching the SEC heavy writers start pushing that narrative much more now. Because before tonight it was the SEC is the best because we win all our BCS games and win all the national championships. That part will need a year off.

Maybe. Maybe not.

You saying it doesn't make it true.
No... winning on the field does... and that just happened. Its not a cure all for past ills. But to deny its a HUGE step in a positive direction would be deliberately negative for its own sake.

This brings me great satisfaction. The SEC needed to be taken down a peg. All the better one of our conference mates did the job.

You gotta be kidding. Since I explicitly said it didn't yet overcome the SEC by any means in terms of perception you must mean that this literally makes NO difference... from being a conf who's only BCS win since its inception was FSU beating Northern Freaking Illinois nobodies to winning two BCS games against Ohio State and the SEC for the NC. That seriously doesn't make ANY dent in perception?

Sorry. I love being in the ACC and I'm happy as Hell that FSU won this game, but all it proves to me is that the best team in the ACC (by far) can hold it's own with a good SEC team. And when it comes to recruiting, the entire culture of the SEC is like a recruit magnet. I don't like it but I believe that's the way it is.

The importance of this can not be overstated. No the ACC is not yet equal to the SEC in football overall. But now the SEC in not invulnerable. Recruits can't be told going to the ACC means settling for 2nd tier status. Clemson winning over OSU is nice icing too.
No doubt they will still be told this but at least it will no longer be true.

Sorry. I love being in the ACC and I'm happy as Hell that FSU won this game, but all it proves to me is that the best team in the ACC (by far) can hold it's own with a good SEC team. And when it comes to recruiting, the entire culture of the SEC is like a recruit magnet. I don't like it but I believe that's the way it is.
Nobody is arguing that. But the ACC is just two years removed from its "Champion" giving up 70 to mighty West Virginia. At least as of today theres one school that can tell a recruit "We've beaten the best the SEC has and won a NC and we'll do it again with you." and not get laughed out of a kids house. Clemson winning over OSU just adds to that. Obviously it doesn't turn the tables completely by any stretch... but remember where this conf has come from just a couple years back... look at it now... and tell me it hasn't taken a big stride in perception.

It's going to take a minute to be level with the SEC but we need to be that conference that challenges them, not the B1G, not the PAC, not the BigXII...the ACC. With Clemson beating Ohio State and Florida State becoming National Champions and ending a 7 year SEC reign combined with the recruiting in the ACC, we're becoming that conference.

The only reality is that in this years BCS games the SEC went 0-2, the ACC went 2-0, the old Big east went 1-0, Big 12 went 1-1, Big 10 went 1-1, the Pac 12 went 0-1. That's not hype just the way things played out, and those are the important 5 bowl games. From top to bottom the SEC is the best, but not as far better then everybody else, as the talking heads make them out to be.

Wow good to be us, better to be FSU! Wow.
I had two friends call saying they were rooting for Auburn.

They just didn't get it.

One I swung over the other stubbornly kept rooting for the SEC.

1. It gives prestige to the conference

2. It helps us in recruiting by letting kids know they'll be playing in the conference which is the home of the NC's and playing against the best

3. It sets us up for a Nebraska style upset next year

4. It will help ticket sales for that game.

5. I think we get more $$$ by them winning

6. Down the road it will pave the way for more $$$ in TV deals and make up some of the slack for what the BIG conference gets over us

Last edited:
It seems like they really feed you really well if you win the Heisman. I swear it looked like Sonny Jurgensen out there.

A league is as strong as its strongest team ... really? You actually buy that?

The struggle that FSU just had when compared to the romps they enjoyed on the ACC sort of puts the strength of the ACC in perspective.

sucks for OSU and the big 10 plus bottom dwellers Rutgers/maryland

Sure, but when Miami was very good there were some other BE teams that were pretty good.

I'm afraid the ACC has one very good team. Clemson that is good and then ...

Sportswriters aren't quite that dumb.

Disagree. That same rationale is never applied in real world. Sportswriters are just as dumb as everybody else. Its all about managing perception. And the ACC should run as far with this as they can.

Notice no one is talking about the ACC going 2-0 in the BCS bowls. If it was the SEC going 2-0 they'd be yapping about it the whole time. The pundits will paint this as FSU and the midgets.

I don't think there's a better place for Syracuse to be. FSU has done it's part...National Championship...Heisman Trophy. Now a few other members need to step up and consistently be a presence. Clemson has done it's part this year, and they need to build off it, but have a lot leaving. Virginia Tech scared me against UCLA; they looked terrible. Miami...blown out by a Louisville that's losing talent and Strong.

Leaves the door open for Cuse to continue progression, and if they can establish some consistency, perhaps they could fill one of those top places at the top of the food chain. Point is big step taken by Florida State for the ACC, but more needs to be done by teams other than Florida State.

Why does everyone expect VATech to carry the ACC? Other than racking up wins against easy OOC games, beating bottom feeders within the conference, and winning some respectable games, they still lose almost every big game. Essentially, they are Rutgers on steroids and the only offense they ever had was run by the Vick crime family.

Their success was more a factor of the weaknees of the conference than actual football prowess. They took advantage of circumstances but rarely capitalize on it.

So I ask again, why expect VATech to shoulder any real burden in the ACC?

North Carolina is going to be the next big team in the ACC if they don't get destroyed by their scandal.

A league is as strong as its strongest team ... really? You actually buy that?

The struggle that FSU just had when compared to the romps they enjoyed on the ACC sort of puts the strength of the ACC in perspective.
It's gonna take more than one championship to change that perception[/quote

miserable.jpg

North Carolina is going to be the next big team in the ACC if they don't get destroyed by their scandal.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I also remembered, I've been thinking the same thing for a decade now. Scandal aside, I think the potential is there to really take off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom