ACC Bowl payouts, very interesting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Bowl payouts, very interesting

You said the payouts will balance out. I gave you the benefit of the doubt since it is impossible for that to happen. And I'm not concerned with the differences with the SEC and the BiG. The ACC isn't going to balance out with the PAC or the Big12 in terms of overall monies and that doesn't even account for splitting it 14 ways instead of 12 or 10.

It is what it is. But there is a difference of $25 million over every three year period between the PAC and the Big 12.

Cheers,
Neil
If you thought I meant the 25 million would even out I apologize that was never my point. You think I meant that would even out. The entire time I was posting in this thread I was talking about the ACC/PAC-12/Big 12 losing their contract bowl money would even out.

Why is that hard to figure out. Honestly I don't get how that wasn't clear. When I am wrong unlike many I say I am wrong. It is a fact the ACC will get 25 million less but that is on Swofford negotiating and the ACC FB sans FSU sucking which gave the orange Bowl and ESPN the ability to play less.

You're depressing me Neil. Because you are right. That $55M vs $80M is a big deal. Especially for the leagues who will get some taste every year while we sit it out when the Orange is part of the playoffs.

Doesn't help when the committee can shut us out of the Citrus, and ND can swoop in and take a better bowl away.
I think that ND's bowl revenue goes into the ACC pot and is divided 15 ways (sans the 27.5 OB money that is divided 14 ways).

But yes, the OB deal was a massive blunder. I have no idea what Swofford was thinking. I really hope that we got something secret and subtle that we don't know about. Otherwise, we're giving the ESPN, the SEC and the B1G a lot fo money for next to nothing. We *should* have the highest payout.

I think that ND's bowl revenue goes into the ACC pot and is divided 15 ways (sans the 27.5 OB money that is divided 14 ways).

But yes, the OB deal was a massive blunder. I have no idea what Swofford was thinking. I really hope that we got something secret and subtle that we don't know about. Otherwise, we're giving the ESPN, the SEC and the B1G a lot fo money for next to nothing. We *should* have the highest payout.

I didn't understand it at the time. I get that when it was happening, Swofford was trying to make chicken salad out of chicken s---. If the SEC and B1G didn't sign on, the ACC was in trouble. What were they going to do, pair with the AAC? The highest ranked G5? So it's possible the B1G and SEC played hardball, as there wasn't an alternative to give Swofford any leverage. I'm not exactly sure why the ACC couldn't own the Orange and play an at large, but I guess that ESPN wasn't going to pay $55m for a possibility of getting Kansas State, Boise St. or Arizona in the game. I get that I guess.

I'm glad that we salvaged a bowl that should have a good chance to do ratings similar to the other bowls, which was the most important thing. Considering what we had to work with, money or not, it was important not to end up with what would be a clear also-ran bowl. Most years the Sugar and Orange representative will be virtually equally appealing, and ditto the B1G. Anytime half the Sugar is made up of anyone besides Oklahoma or Texas, the ratings will suffer. Granted, the ACC can put up some no-interest teams as well, but Clemson-LSU or FSU-Ohio State is going to have a chance to draw bigger eyes than TCU-Mississippi I think.

When you divide it by team, the deficit to the Big 12 and PAC hurts, but it's not crippling. $2-3M per school. The difference to the B1G and SEC is more substantial, but the resource differences between ACC and SEC or B1G is already gigantic, and would be even if TV was equal. The big problem would have been the image hit of not having a guaranteed spot in an access bowl, or having a clear second-rate matchup guaranteed.

We just have to take our lumps on this and position ourselves better for the future. When Texas and friends join the ACC, then we'll likely end up sharing both with the SEC and be in great shape. ;)

46,237,500.00 Bowl Money
50,000,000.00 Playoff P-5 Money
96,237,500.00 Total Bowl Money
6,874,107.14 Total Per Team

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF: CONFERENCE PAYOUTS
http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2014/12/more-on-bowl-revenues.html

ACC

$50 million base to the conference

$6 million to the conference for FSU (Rose Bowl – CFP semifinal)

$27.5 million to the conference for Georgia Tech (Orange Bowl)

Total: $83.5 million to the conferenc

Last edited:
And DUDE, if you reread my post I specifically said if you meant that then yes, but you said the "payout will balance itself out" which implies to me the monies will balance out and so I stated what would actually be the case in terms of the payout and said I hope you realize this. Nothing more and nothing less.

And with your reply you never gave me the same courtesy I extended to you by at least saying, yes, I know the monies will never balance out. And you still haven't. But this is typical Alsacs debating tactic which tells me you did mean the actual $$$, because god forbid Alsacs admits he was mistaken about something or give anyone else room to have their own opinion.

Cheers,
Neil
Your last sentence totally puts words in my mouth. I honestly don't care if people disagree with me. I like a good back and forth debate. I do it all the time with TheCusian. My original post in this thread was never directed at you my point about evening out was clearly in relation to conferences losing their host bowl payouts either you didn't realize that or I wasn't clear but to accuse of not wanting other opinions because of this thread is wrong.