ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney

It is a done deal... ACC bball tourney now in Barclay Center for '17-'18. Additionally, there will be double headers between The ACC and A-10 at the Barclay Center...Part of A-10 willingness to move its Tourney.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...asketball-tournament-barclays-center/6862583/
This is good news and is updating previous thread. Note that more information on The ACC is forthcoming soon...whispers growing louder.
It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Please please say it's an ACC Network. For as awesome as that will be, I also want to see the anti-ACC mob explode.

It is a done deal... ACC bball tourney now in Barclay Center for '17-'18. Additionally, there will be double headers between The ACC and A-10 at the Barclay Center...Part of A-10 willingness to move its Tourney.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...asketball-tournament-barclays-center/6862583/
This is good news and is updating previous thread. Note that more information on The ACC is forthcoming soon...whispers growing louder.
It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..
Please say the ACCT will be in MSG in 2019 after MSG's BET plays 2nd fiddle to Barclays for two years.

A rotation seems like the fair thing. Some are over-reacting, nobody is saying a permanent move to NYC. The last time it was in Atlanta I read it wasn't well attended so not sure about viability of that venue. It's really SEC country with them playing every year in the Georgia Dome. But NYC, Greensboro, DC seems attractive.
The last Atlanta visit was at Philips Arena in 2012. Here's a link to an AJC article discussing that tournament as well as the tournament's future.

The SEC rarely plays at the Georgia Dome. Their long term hoops tournament base is in Nashville. It will be held there 9 out of 12 years, starting next year.

A rotation seems like the fair thing. Some are over-reacting, nobody is saying a permanent move to NYC. The last time it was in Atlanta I read it wasn't well attended so not sure about viability of that venue. It's really SEC country with them playing every year in the Georgia Dome. But NYC, Greensboro, DC seems attractive.
The problem with a rotation is that it almost invites the B1G to step into the void and play their tournament in NYC in the years that the ACC is playing elsewhere.

To me, playing your conference basketball tournament in NYC in general, and at MSG in particular, is a game changer in the battle for control of the Eastern market. It is extremely important.

The ACC should do everything in its power to ensure that it gets MSG and that the B1G does not. Including NYC in an ACC tourney rotation is for all intents and purposes an open invitation to the B1G to come into NYC and fill in for the ACC when it is elsewhere. Not a good idea.

The problem with a rotation is that it almost invites the B1G to step into the void and play their tournament in NYC in the years that the ACC is playing elsewhere.

To me, playing your conference basketball tournament in NYC in general, and at MSG in particular, is a game changer in the battle for control of the Eastern market. It is extremely important.

The ACC should do everything in its power to ensure that it gets MSG and that the B1G does not. Including NYC in an ACC tourney rotation is for all intents and purposes an open invitation to the B1G to come into NYC and fill in for the ACC when it is elsewhere. Not a good idea.

The NC fans are dug in on keeping it some years in Greensboro or Charlotte. I know the fans don't make the decisions but do the AD officials want to "piss off" their donors? I see going forward 40-50% of the time it will be at Barclay's or MSG. Barclay's is shiny and new but the tourney needs to be in MSG. The ACC really needed to work with the Big East and MSG to be there in '17 and '18 and not Barclay's. In the off years the Big East could host their tourney in Chicago or Indy. I think the ACC is making a mistake going to Barclay's but it is better than not playing in NYC at all.

I think it would be cool to have it in New York, but is it possible the whole thing is getting overhyped? What is the biggest advantage? Will ACC teams be able to recruit New York better (we already have a big presence there)? And I know that New York comes with all the glitz, but I don't think more people are going to watch the tourney because of where it is hosted, whether there are celebs in the audience or not. Is there data to prove otherwise?

I think it would be cool to have it in New York, but is it possible the whole thing is getting overhyped? What is the biggest advantage? Will ACC teams be able to recruit New York better (we already have a big presence there)? And I know that New York comes with all the glitz, but I don't think more people are going to watch the tourney because of where it is hosted, whether there are celebs in the audience or not. Is there data to prove otherwise?

It is all about image and the ability for more national media to see the games. NYC gives you that...Greensboro doesn't.

It is all about image and the ability for more national media to see the games. NYC gives you that...Greensboro doesn't.
OK - so the tourney will get more publicity because more media will be there?

I totally agree. I just don't think the NC schools will agree to a permanent home in NYC and MSG doesn't seem ready to push the NNBE out. Perhaps if the 2 years in Barclays blows away the BET in terms of attendance and buzz, MSG would become more interested in working something out with the ACC.

I totally agree. I just don't think the NC schools will agree to a permanent home in NYC and MSG doesn't seem ready to push the NNBE out. Perhaps if the 2 years in Barclays blows away the BET in terms of attendance and buzz, MSG would become more interested in working something out with the ACC.

Well we'll get the opportunity to see how the tournament does at the Barclay's Center for 2 years. We're also going to see how it does in Washington, DC. It will be going head to head with the Big East tournament in the 2 years in New York. That will be an interesting thing to observe.

Did MSG express interest in the ACC? I think their contract with the Big East goes to 2026.

The ACC tournament has never had a permanent home. It's been to Greensboro, Charlotte, Washington, DC (2 venues), Atlanta (2 venues), and Tampa. Now it will go to Brooklyn. The one thing that the ACC has decided is that they don't want it in a football stadium again. It was at the Georgia Dome once, but the fans prefer an areana designed more for basketball after that experience.

Did MSG express interest in the ACC? I think their contract with the Big East goes to 2026.
There are differing reports on this but given the dismal attendance at the BET earlier this month and the ugliness competing directly with the ACC will impose on them in 2017 and 2018, even if the contract is air tight, I don't think it makes any sense to have a conference play its tournament in a 20K arena.

Not when 8 or 10K is a more realistic and sustainable attendance goal for the New Big East. It would be best for both parties to realize they are no longer well aligned, acknowledge this and part ways. I think this is what is going to happen and it will happen well before 2026.

Theoretically yes...but they need compelling matchups and Saturday Night Final would help.

Exactly...it is the Saturday night championship game that makes this work. People watch it that night and the Sunday games are almost moot because all everyone cares about is the selection at that point. People are at bars drinking and having a great time on Saturday watching the game...that's what gets the tournament recognition...people slapping high fives and shooting the bull while the game is being played. Sunday champion games are a day late and a dollar short.

ACC Men's Basketball ‏@accmbb 1m
Every #ACC school has an active alumni association chapter in the New York City area.

There are differing reports on this but given the dismal attendance at the BET earlier this month and the ugliness competing directly with the ACC will impose on them in 2017 and 2018, even if the contract is air tight, I don't think it makes any sense to have a conference play its tournament in a 20K arena.

Not when 8 or 10K is a more realistic and sustainable attendance goal for the New Big East. It would be best for both parties to realize they are no longer well aligned, acknowledge this and part ways. I think this is what is going to happen and it will happen well before 2026.

It looks like the Big East Tournament announced attendance for the Semis and Finals in 2014 was about 15.5K. The ACC Tournament in Greensboro was about 21.5K. The Barclay's Center holds 18K and MSG 20K. Hopefully the ACC can fill up the Barclay's Center and make the ACC attractive for MSG too.

The attendance for the Atlantic 10 final between VCU and St. Joseph's at the Barclay's Center was 9K, and the semifinal between VCU and George Washington was 10K. I would hope that the ACC can outdraw the Atlantic 10 substantially.

It looks like the Big East Tournament announced attendance for the Semis and Finals in 2014 was about 15.5K. The ACC Tournament in Greensboro was about 21.5K. The Barclay's Center holds 18K and MSG 20K. Hopefully the ACC can fill up the Barclay's Center and make the ACC attractive for MSG too.

The attendance for the Atlantic 10 final between VCU and St. Joseph's at the Barclay's Center was 9K, and the semifinal between VCU and George Washington was 10K. I would hope that the ACC can outdraw the Atlantic 10 substantially.

The BE nums were BS. So were the early session ACC nums. Trust me...Barclays will easily sellout and have a robust secondary market.

Haven't seen a release yet (don't even know if there has been one yet), but is the tournament still going through Sunday? Because I think it's a mistake not having the final on a Saturday night.

Haven't seen a release yet (don't even know if there has been one yet), but is the tournament still going through Sunday? Because I think it's a mistake not having the final on a Saturday night.

nothing official but rumbling it may move to old big east schedule of tues thru sat night

No one is every going to be happy in the ACC. Too many schools spread out along the East coast to find a suitable location for the conference tourney. Never a complaint, I recall, in the Big East.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/3...nsboro-2017-2018-backlash-north-carolina-fans

If you want to see unhappy, wait until Jim Delaney tries to take Big Ten events out of the midwest to New York and make all those midwestern schools travel east. Then you'll see unhappy.

There are many ACC fans that like the ACC Tournament in Greensboro. It's a very family oriented event with a huge area for tailgating (and many do all day) out in the parking lot and a lot to do for kids at the ACC Fan Festival, which is basically a carnival in part of the parking area beside the arena, and the whole town gets involved. I don't know how many here went this year, but reading on the Pitt board, several of them were shocked how much fun they had.

The tournament has moved before, so that is not a new thing. Hopefully Barclay's will put on a good show. I expect that it will. I'm one that likes to see the tournament move around. It's a great event in Washington, DC too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom