ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC close to finalizing 2-yr agreement to play tourney

Rotation makes the most sense for the conference as a whole. Going full time to MSG makes sense only to SU fans. We need to realize that we joined a conference with a long history that has nothing to do with NYC. You get just as many fans and just as just as high TV ratings playing a rotation. Very few fans watching a college basketball game on TV could give a ratsass what arena it is being played in or what city it is being played in.

This is not the correct way to look at the situation. This is a very provincial way of looking at managing the conference, caring only about making individual members happy on an individual basis. The ACC did not think this way when it invited SU, Pitt, ND, and UL. That is why they won conference realignment. Now that the dust has settled, it is ACC vs B1G for control of NYC. The ACC needs to be in NYC to keep B1G out just as much or more than it needs to please one or two member schools.

more on the potential Barclays arena for ACC BBALL tournament...ACC remains in discussions with both Barclays and MSG...both want the ACC Tournament...so nice to be the Hunted in this case.
As article indicates, does the ACC and 'Cuse want an alliance with the A-10...a couple of double-headers each year...what do you think of this idea?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10606349/barclays-center-negotiates-10-acc

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

To quote Lee Corso "Not so fast my friend"
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 15m
Source: A-10 won't change Barclays dates for ACC in 2017 without a deal: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10606349/a-10-change-barclays-dates-2017-acc… via @espncbb

Biggest nugget from that article
A source with connections to MSG told ESPN during the season that the arena would love to have the Big East and the ACC in the same week but that would mean having the Big East move earlier in the week, a move that is unlikely to occur.

If I'm MSG I tell the Big East move your damn tournament up a weekend or in the future we will wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Lots of mid major conferences start early so why not the Big East.
The Big East may want out of the garden themselves, who wants to be a laughing stock on the biggest stage?

This is not the correct way to look at the situation. This is a very provincial way of looking at managing the conference, caring only about making individual members happy on an individual basis. The ACC did not think this way when it invited SU, Pitt, ND, and UL. That is why they won conference realignment. Now that the dust has settled, it is ACC vs B1G for control of NYC. The ACC needs to be in NYC to keep B1G out just as much or more than it needs to please one or two member schools.
Keep the Big 10 out? The Big 10 has no interest in permanently moving anything to NYC. They want the TV money, that's it.

With the sudden talk of the BE/MSG contract being the most perfect piece of legal art since Jackie Chiles case against big tobacco, what happened to all the previous talk that there were many outs for MSG based on financial performance, attendance, etc?

If this contract was so restrictive why would there be any discussion about it now? That contract is good through 2026 and isn't MSG supposed to be torn down before that??

It's meaningless unless you are trying to play your way in the NCAA. It just is.

Injuries can derail a shot at the bigger picture as well.

What does tonight's game do for Syracuse at this point?
I agree with you. I do not want to lose tonight simply because I dislike NCStates fans, after that a loss actually may help us in the long run.

Keep the Big 10 out? The Big 10 has no interest in permanently moving anything to NYC. They want the TV money, that's it.

I'd be shocked if the BET at MSG wasn't the #1 asset the conference had in TV negotiations. The city and venue have value beyond tickets. Everyone managing a conference seems to agree since every conference in the land is trying to get their tourney in NYC, including the big ten.

more on the potential Barclays arena for ACC BBALL tournament...ACC remains in discussions with both Barclays and MSG...both want the ACC Tournament...so nice to be the Hunted in this case.
As article indicates, does the ACC and 'Cuse want an alliance with the A-10...a couple of double-headers each year...what do you think of this idea?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10606349/barclays-center-negotiates-10-acc

So, is there movement with the MSG/BE contract? Can MSG move the BET dates up to accommodate the ACCT? Is that the reason the Barclay deal is just 2 years?

With the sudden talk of the BE/MSG contract being the most perfect piece of legal art since Jackie Chiles case against big tobacco, what happened to all the previous talk that there were many outs for MSG based on financial performance, attendance, etc?

If this contract was so restrictive why would there be any discussion about it now? That contract is good through 2026 and isn't MSG supposed to be torn down before that??
Actually, was just reading this on the Rutgers board (yes, they're good for something):

The Big East's contract with the Garden runs through 2026 but not unconditionally. Certain criteria need to be met or the Garden can walk away or change it, according to multiple sources. Both parties want the arrangement to be the huge success it has been for 31 years. But if it isn't, does this three-decade-long marriage start a long road toward divorce? Or could it sow the seeds for the Garden taking on the logistical nightmare of hosting two conference tourneys? Don't bet the Big East would like either of those scenarios.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/rubin-time-big-conference-article-1.1718523#ixzz2vxSWEfdx

While the conference maintains a contract with MSG through 2026, there are clauses contained within the deal that would allow either party an escape clause. Sources have confirmed to GoLocalProv that theAtlantic Coast Conference, with membership now including former Big East members Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Boston College, Miami, Virginia Tech and Louisville (for next season) has not only continued discussions with MSG about bringing the ACC Tournament to New York, but that an agreement may be imminent to actually bring the event here.

The possibility even exists for simultaneous, or back-to-back tournaments being held at MSG for both the Big East and ACC. Clearly, there are many details still to be worked out. But it may be that future Garden parties will include guests from Tobacco Road, and beyond.

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/big-east-future-at-msg-may-include-company/

What about the theory of losing a key starter in a conference tournament? How well has that theory held up?

[/quoteAgree injury is the real concern especially for as shallow a team as us. Not too many years ago that we lost Onuako in a big east tourney game that probably cost us an NC.

Pittsburgh is not a good choice. Locals could care a less, Hockey reigns supreme.

I agree with you. I do not want to lose tonight simply because I dislike NCStates fans, after that a loss actually may help us in the long run.
Acknowledging that I risk banning by saying this (even if self imposed), I'd rather win tonight and lose tomorrow. If we happen to win both then we might as win the whole thing, though I am in IB's camp that conference tourneys are mostly meaningless if you are not playing for the automatic bid.

Actually, was just reading this on the Rutgers board (yes, they're good for something):

The Big East's contract with the Garden runs through 2026 but not unconditionally. Certain criteria need to be met or the Garden can walk away or change it, according to multiple sources. Both parties want the arrangement to be the huge success it has been for 31 years. But if it isn't, does this three-decade-long marriage start a long road toward divorce? Or could it sow the seeds for the Garden taking on the logistical nightmare of hosting two conference tourneys? Don't bet the Big East would like either of those scenarios.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/rubin-time-big-conference-article-1.1718523#ixzz2vxSWEfdx

While the conference maintains a contract with MSG through 2026, there are clauses contained within the deal that would allow either party an escape clause. Sources have confirmed to GoLocalProv that theAtlantic Coast Conference, with membership now including former Big East members Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Boston College, Miami, Virginia Tech and Louisville (for next season) has not only continued discussions with MSG about bringing the ACC Tournament to New York, but that an agreement may be imminent to actually bring the event here.

The possibility even exists for simultaneous, or back-to-back tournaments being held at MSG for both the Big East and ACC. Clearly, there are many details still to be worked out. But it may be that future Garden parties will include guests from Tobacco Road, and beyond.

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/big-east-future-at-msg-may-include-company/
Good stuff, so basically MSG would do what I said. Tell the Big East to move its tournament up when it agreed to host the ACC Tournament or potentially the B1G Tournament as well.

Big East Tournament would follow the Missouri Valley Conference format and would probably go Thursday till Sunday the last weekend of the major conferences regular season. Then the Knicks and Rangers could each squeeze in home games Monday/Tuesday after that.

Then the ACC/B1G conference tournaments would go from Wednesday till Sunday at MSG.

And no team has won the NCAA tournament without winning at least one game in their conference tournament.

The BET last year did so much for us for the NCAA. 6OT is legendary. I bet more people remember that game than remember that UNC embarrassed MSU in the title game. The idea that any good could happen from could come from losing tonight is just silly.

Must Read: NCS thread on moving the tourney to Brooklyn. LOL

Holy moly reading that thread on the NC State board I have come to conclusion NC State fans are Heath Ledger as Joker insane. I mean living in the shadows of UNC and Duke has driven that fanbase nuts. Having NYC which is a destination city in the rotate makes too much sense for the ACC to turn down. I besides having the games in NYC its the media hub of the country and would give the ACC and NC State'S brand more access to the best basketball recruiting grounds in NYC. I mean they are nuts with the yankee vs. south crap. Wow, I wanted to post why so serious in that thread, but opted not to.

About what I expected. About a split of people that think its a good idea as part of a rotation and the rest wanting to never have to step foot in NYC for any reason. I still say anyone that thinks it will ever move to NYC on a permanent basis is naive.

Holy moly reading that thread on the NC State board I have come to conclusion NC State fans are Heath Ledger as Joker insane. I mean living in the shadows of UNC and Duke has driven that fanbase nuts. Having NYC which is a destination city in the rotate makes too much sense for the ACC to turn down. I besides having the games in NYC its the media hub of the country and would give the ACC and NC State'S brand more access to the best basketball recruiting grounds in NYC. I mean they are nuts with the yankee vs. south crap. Wow, I wanted to post why so serious in that thread, but opted not to.

NC State fans are the Errol Childress of the ACC

I like the A10 being open to negotiation. That's a smart move on their part, knowing that Barclays probably wants a bigger/better conference tourney there going forward.

"Sources said the Barclays Center wants to make Nassau Coliseum a viable host for multiple college basketball events."

And good luck with that Barclays...

Could two conference tourneys be feasibly completed in the same arena in a week or less, without sharing days?

I just read the link on the NC State board. I think it is quite humorous when they try to get personal and call us Sorrycuse or other names. They don't realize how childish they sound.

Nobody on this board would behave like that.

Acknowledging that I risk banning by saying this (even if self imposed), I'd rather win tonight and lose tomorrow. If we happen to win both then we might as win the whole thing, though I am in IB's camp that conference tourneys are mostly meaningless if you are not playing for the automatic bid.
You want to lose against Duke?! That is insane and I'm sure the players are happy for your support :(

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 1m
In 2017, Jim Boeheim will be 72, Coach K 70 and Roy Williams 66. Fair to wonder whether they stay long enough to coach ACC in Brooklyn.

I've enjoyed engaging in a variety of threads with you guys on this board. Some have been rude so I respond to them in kind. But for the majority who accept discussion from outsiders I'd like to cordially weigh in.

I'm an NC State grad and I will be the first to say I love the ACC's history in Greensboro. But I will also be the first to say that stage is no longer on par with what the ACC really needs in showcasing it's premier event. New York City provides that, whether its MSG or Barclays. Most folks I know are in support of having the ACCT in NYC some years. But I think you'll see this event rotate around so as to give every region a chance at hosting it and allow nearby fans the chance to attend.

NYC, Washington/Baltimore, Atlanta and Charlotte will be on the rotation. And all offer a higher caliber setting than Greensboro. But I also support the notion that perhaps once ever 5-6 years, the ACCT needs to come back to Greensboro to reconnect with its roots. The conference needs to hold Greensboro's feet to the fire however in making some investments in the part of town around the Coliseum. It's a dump currently and has been allowed to languish. Greensboro needs to do its part to spruce up the area. Its long past due. But the conference can never completely walk away from that building given the history that lives there and proximity to so many fan bases within a few hours drive. But definitely looking forward to the event making an appearance in the Big Apple.

I've enjoyed engaging in a variety of threads with you guys on this board. Some have been rude so I respond to them in kind. But for the majority who accept discussion from outsiders I'd like to cordially weigh in.

I'm an NC State grad and I will be the first to say I love the ACC's history in Greensboro. But I will also be the first to say that stage is no longer on par with what the ACC really needs in showcasing it's premier event. New York City provides that, whether its MSG or Barclays. Most folks I know are in support of having the ACCT in NYC some years. But I think you'll see this event rotate around so as to give every region a chance at hosting it and allow nearby fans the chance to attend.

NYC, Washington/Baltimore, Atlanta and Charlotte will be on the rotation. And all offer a higher caliber setting than Greensboro. But I also support the notion that perhaps once ever 5-6 years, the ACCT needs to come back to Greensboro to reconnect with its roots. The conference needs to hold Greensboro's feet to the fire however in making some investments in the part of town around the Coliseum. It's a dump currently and has been allowed to languish. Greensboro needs to do its part to spruce up the area. Its long past due. But the conference can never completely walk away from that building given the history that lives there and proximity to so many fan bases within a few hours drive. But definitely looking forward to the event making an appearance in the Big Apple.
A rotation seems like the fair thing. Some are over-reacting, nobody is saying a permanent move to NYC. The last time it was in Atlanta I read it wasn't well attended so not sure about viability of that venue. It's really SEC country with them playing every year in the Georgia Dome. But NYC, Greensboro, DC seems attractive.

It is a done deal... ACC bball tourney now in Barclay Center for '17-'18. Additionally, there will be double headers between The ACC and A-10 at the Barclay Center...Part of A-10 willingness to move its Tourney.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...asketball-tournament-barclays-center/6862583/
This is good news and is updating previous thread. Note that more information on The ACC is forthcoming soon...whispers growing louder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom