ACC Conference clean sweep on national titles for 3 major sports | Syracusefan.com

ACC Conference clean sweep on national titles for 3 major sports

Don't follow coll baseball. Any acc teams good enough to win it and really make it a clean sweep?

Don't follow coll baseball. Any acc teams good enough to win it and really make it a clean sweep?
College Baseball Top 25 Rankings

The ACC is not a powerhouse confernce for baseball but it is good. Miami and Notre Dame used to be really good, especially Miami, but are down some now.

I think is unlikely but there are a number of very good teams in the ACC that could get hot and surprise.

Pretty sure when Virginia won it all, it was a major surprise.

It would be tough. Although the ACC has 8 teams (out of 64) in the tourney, I don't see anyone making it to Omaha. Perhaps the Ramblin' Wreck has an outside shot, but my money is on the Bruins of Westwood. Truth be told, I'm a UCSB Gauchos fan and would love to see them win it all.

College Baseball Top 25 Rankings

The ACC is not a powerhouse confernce for baseball but it is good. Miami and Notre Dame used to be really good, especially Miami, but are down some now.

I think is unlikely but there are a number of very good teams in the ACC that could get hot and surprise.

Pretty sure when Virginia won it all, it was a major surprise.
It wasn't really a "surprise" because we lost to Vandy in the championship game on a walk-off homer the year before. It really was more of a "I can't believe it took that long!" because the previous win of the College World Series by an ACC team was by Wake in 1955.

It wasn't really a "surprise" because we lost to Vandy in the championship game on a walk-off homer the year before. It really was more of a "I can't believe it took that long!" because the previous win of the College World Series by an ACC team was by Wake in 1955.

Didn't Miami used to be good, or was that before they joined the ACC?

Didn't Miami used to be good, or was that before they joined the ACC?
Yes, they were really good, but it was before they joined the ACC in 2003 (they won in '99 and '01).

Think Florida state was one of the best in college baseball. No??
Yes. However, despite their near-constant appearances in Omaha, they never won the whole thing.

Curious how many times this has happened if ever?? Time to give the ACC the respect we deserve! ! Congrats Clemson, and now Virginia twice
I mean, if we're saying lacrosse is one of the three major sports, don't we also then have to include women's basketball as it is more of a ratings draw than lacrosse ever thought of being. Lacrosse is the #3 major college sport only in the minds of SU fans.

With that said -- Notre Dame won the women's basketball championship this year, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

I mean, if we're saying lacrosse is one of the three major sports, don't we also then have to include women's basketball as it is more of a ratings draw than lacrosse ever thought of being. Lacrosse is the #3 major college sport only in the minds of SU fans.

With that said -- Notre Dame won the women's basketball championship this year, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

Baylor beat ND this year. ND won in 2018.

Can we order the announcers for the ACC Network to refer to the league as the conference of champions? Walton's shtick is old and completely false given they are hardly P5 with the pathetic recent performances on the hardcourt and gridiron.

Can we order the announcers for the ACC Network to refer to the league as the conference of champions? Walton's shtick is old and completely false given they are hardly P5 with the pathetic recent performances on the hardcourt and gridiron.

Pac-12 Conference

Nicknamed the "Conference of Champions", the Pac-12 has won more NCAA National Team Championships than any other conference in history.

Corporate Branding. It's not just Walton.

Hope they keep that hot beat that they play when you are waiting for your game to start.

Actually am glad the seasons are over for me...don't think I could watch another Bring your A game commercial.

All eyes on me...doot doo tatata duuuu!

Pac-12 Conference

Nicknamed the "Conference of Champions", the Pac-12 has won more NCAA National Team Championships than any other conference in history.

Corporate Branding. It's not just Walton.

2 Water Polo National Championships a year is gonna help pad your stats that right there offsets the ACCs Football and Basketball 'Ships by P12 reasoning.

I was thinking about what, in addition to football and men's basketball, should be considered "major" college sports. I would throw in women's basketball as well. After that, it is a little more difficult.

I would sat the potential contenders would be baseball, hockey, lacrosse, and soccer. The problem is determining what criteria should be used to determine what is a major sport.

Baseball probably would be. It is played by 297 schools. Of course, these schools do not include my two alma maters - Wisconsin and Syracuse (as a side note, these are also the only two teams in their respective conferences not to field a baseball team).

Hockey and lacrosse probably fall into the same category as regional major sports (if that can be a thing). At Wisconsin, hockey is a revenue sport as I assume lacrosse is at Syracuse. But I am not sure how many people pay attention outside of the areas that have schools which field teams. Interestingly, there are only three Division I college lacrosse teams west of the Mississippi River - Air Force, University of Denver, and Utah. Lacrosse is gaining more participants though as I drove past a tournament of younger kids in Wisconsin recently.

I do not know about soccer. I put it on the list as a lot kids play it, it is the most popular sport in the world (outside of the US), has a lot of schools that field teams (206), and has popular professional leagues. Personally, I never played and rarely watched soccer, so I would not be a good judge.

I was thinking about what, in addition to football and men's basketball, should be considered "major" college sports. I would throw in women's basketball as well. After that, it is a little more difficult.

{snip}
I'd add softball to the list of women's sports. I would put men's and women's soccer outside the "major sports" category because too many schools have a team for the sake of having a team, while for football both basketballs and baseball/softball schools are at least trying to compete seriously for their conference championship.

I'd add softball to the list of women's sports. I would put men's and women's soccer outside the "major sports" category because too many schools have a team for the sake of having a team, while for football both basketballs and baseball/softball schools are at least trying to compete seriously for their conference championship.
Right now, college softball blows college lacrosse out of the water in terms of TV ratings.

I hope the long needed change with the shot clock will help. Get rid of the faceoffs after every goal and now you have a sport that is really TV friendly, fast paced and fun to watch.

It is a shame the leaders of the game are so smitten with tradition that they can't make the simple changes that the sport desperately needs. Bravo to them for adding the shot clock though. That was a huge step forward.

Lacrosse Has Untapped Potential as TV Sport, ESPN Producer Says

I initially had softball on the potential list and took it off. Why? No real reason other than I do not follow it and was not sure how much anyone else did. I will say my impression has been that many schools use softball as a cheap, large women's team sport for Title IX purposes.