ACC Dominates ESPN Ratings | Syracusefan.com

ACC Dominates ESPN Ratings

6 of the top 8 most viewed college basketball games on ESPN this season involved at least one ACC team. 5 of the top 10 were ACC matchups and 3 of the top 10 involved Syracuse (#1 & #2 vs. Duke and #7 vs. Virginia).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/03/uncduke-latest-acc-game-to-earn-strong-numbers-for-espn/

You gotta love the brand recognition this will bring to Orange basketball. It's good for the brand and it's good for recruiting. Next year ESPN will promote our games with more energy because they will be able to get the advertisers.

Numbers must of been updated...SU/Duke had been #1 and #3
Now it is #1 and #2 most watched

The first Duke/UNC was aired on CBS in most of North Carolina.

I'm interested how the Duke/Syracuse rivalry grows. The big draw are the coaches. Will it be as hyped by ESPN when they are gone? The game at Syracuse was the best game I watched on TV this year.

6 of the top 8 most viewed college basketball games on ESPN this season involved at least one ACC team. 5 of the top 10 were ACC matchups and 3 of the top 10 involved Syracuse (#1 & #2 vs. Duke and #7 vs. Virginia).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/03/uncduke-latest-acc-game-to-earn-strong-numbers-for-espn/
Let's be honest; this would never have happened without Duke being involved. They are the most popular team to watch in college basketball and they have been for a long time.

It is great to see Syracuse consistently outdrawing historical power UNC in these games against the Dukies but I am perhaps most impressed with the sterling numbers for the SU-UVa game. When did a UVa game last draw decent ratings? This is what happens when you have a historic national power that delivers sustained excellence. What has SU done now, won at least 27 games (includes this season) 5 years in a row and 30 3 years in a row (does not yet include this season).

Chicks dig Otto.

I think, as has been pointed out, that the Duke-UNC games are broadcast regionally as well in the NC area. Not sure how much that is worth for the ratings but I bet it's something.

Those numbers are nuts for a college basketball game.

Orange = Green :) Although Orange has become my favorite color…I love Green also!! Go 'Cuse and Good Luck in the tournaments!!

Gotta think after posting those ratings ESPN will be up in the ACC's ear demanding Duke and Cuse play twice a year.

ACC Network/Raycom had the rights to the first Duke-UNC game which kept that rating a little down on ESPN, but our game had more viewers even without that. The other top games were from the opening weekend with a lot of hype and involved blue bloods. Kansas vs. Duke and Michigan State vs. Kentucky.

ESPN is committed to ACC hoops now though and the conference needs 7-11 quality teams like the Old Big East instead of the 5 tournament teams its likely to get this season.

ACC Network/Raycom had the rights to the first Duke-UNC game which kept that rating a little down on ESPN, but our game had more viewers even without that. The other top games were from the opening weekend with a lot of hype and involved blue bloods. Kansas vs. Duke and Michigan State vs. Kentucky.

ESPN is committed to ACC hoops now though and the conference needs 7-11 quality teams like the Old Big East instead of the 5 tournament teams its likely to get this season.

I agree: I think UNC/DUKE/CUSE/VILLE/PITT are a given. UVA looks poised to join the group. Notre Dame/NCSt should be up there most of the time. Wake Forest should be up there also. The wild cards are FSU, Miami, Clemson and BC.

I agree: I think UNC/DUKE/CUSE/VILLE/PITT are a given. UVA looks poised to join the group. Notre Dame/NCSt should be up there most of the time. Wake Forest should be up there also. The wild cards are FSU, Miami, Clemson and BC.
I agree.
Tier 1: North Carolina/Syracuse/Duke/Louisville should be top 25 teams year in year out and NCAA teams every season. Two of the four should be legit Final Four/NC contenders each season.

Tier 2: Pitt/Virginia/Notre Dame/NC State/Florida State: Only NC State of this bunch has a had a top 10 recruiting class recently, but they don't get enough talent(outside of NC State) to be NC/Final Four contenders year in year out. However, three of these five should be NCAA teams annually. Florida State belongs on this tier because Leonard Hamilton has made the NCAA Tournament 4 of the past 5 years, and has done a good job at FSU for a football school.

Tier 3:Georgia Tech/Wake Forest/Boston College/Clemson/Miami/Virginia Tech: All of these schools except Wake Forest and Boston College are a football school first, but of these six schools atleast two of them should be NCAA bubble teams each season. I think these teams can improve annually as well.

If the ACC getS 4 from tier 1, 3 from tier 2, 1 or 2 from tier 3 then the ACC is the Big East 2.0 from 2005-2013.

Gotta think after posting those ratings ESPN will be up in the ACC's ear demanding Duke and Cuse play twice a year.

They had better bring their checkbook or their wasting their time. There's no reason for Greensboro to completely re-do the entire conference schedule "for free", i.e. under the contract currently in place. An increase in the rights fee paid by ESPN can make the increased effort worthwhile. It could even be argued it's a violation of their fiduciary duty to give ESPN something of greater value and getting nothing in return.

(Someopne else posted this concept on a board and I don't remember who/where, so I can't give due credit. I agree wholeheartedly with it.)

They had better bring their checkbook or their wasting their time. There's no reason for Greensboro to completely re-do the entire conference schedule "for free", i.e. under the contract currently in place. An increase in the rights fee paid by ESPN can make the increased effort worthwhile. It could even be argued it's a violation of their fiduciary duty to give ESPN something of greater value and getting nothing in return.

(Someopne else posted this concept on a board and I don't remember who/where, so I can't give due credit. I agree wholeheartedly with it.)
I am sure ESPN would give the ACC something for it, and it can be accomplished without a major change. Syracuse plays BC, Pitt x2 every year while Duke plays UNC, Wake every year. Just change Syracuse for Wake, and have SU-Duke x2, and Wake-Pitt x2. ESPN gives the ACC a little something and everyone wins.

Question: does anyone have the same chart from last year? Would be interesting to see the shift. I wouldn't be shocked if the GTown-Syracuse games were on the Top-10 list from last year.

Question: does anyone have the same chart from last year? Would be interesting to see the shift. I wouldn't be shocked if the GTown-Syracuse games were on the Top-10 list from last year.

The regular season game was on CBS, so it wouldn't be on that list. The BET might be, though i believe it was Friday at 7 PM, so maybe not a huge tv audience.

Edit: Forgot w ewent down there; and I was at the game too. That was a noon game on a Sat, I doubt it was in the top 10.

Here's the best I could find:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...ball-most-viewed-regular-season-ever-on-espn/

1.) #3 Indiana vs. #1 Michigan - 2.9 rating, 4,035,000 viewers
2.) #1 Indiana vs #4 Michigan State - 2.7 rating, 3,733,000 viewers
3.) #3 Duke vs #5 Miami - 2.5 rating, 2,459,000 viewers

The regular season game was on CBS, so it wouldn't be on that list. The BET might be, though i believe it was Friday at 7 PM, so maybe not a huge tv audience.

Edit: Forgot w ewent down there; and I was at the game too. That was a noon game on a Sat, I doubt it was in the top 10.

Cuse - Gtown game from the BET had a 1.1 rating with 1,700,000 viewers.
The BET championship game vs. Louisville had a 2.1 rating with 3,400,000 viewers.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...-3-championship-week-ncaa-tournament-and-nit/

Good find. Next question: do we know what type of numbers Elite 8 and Final Four games generate ( realize they aren't on ESPN, but just in terms of viewers)

You're gonna see a lot of SU, Duke, UNC and Lville. They will be the face of the ACC as well as it's best and most consistent teams.

Good find. Next question: do we know what type of numbers Elite 8 and Final Four games generate ( realize they aren't on ESPN, but just in terms of viewers)

That second link I just posted has that in there, although it doesn't have raw viewership numbers, just rating.

The championship game had a 14.0 rating. Our Final 4 game vs. Michigan had a 10.2 rating, which made it the third most watched college game (including football) for the 2012-13 academic year.

EDIT: This link gives viewership for the Syracuse Michigan game: 17,104,000.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-rated-and-most-viewed-in-eight-years/176862/

That second link I just posted has that in there, although it doesn't have raw viewership numbers, just rating.

The championship game had a 14.0 rating. Our Final 4 game vs. Michigan had a 10.2 rating, which made it the third most watched college game (including football) for the 2012-13 academic year.

EDIT: This link gives viewership for the Syracuse Michigan game: 17,104,000.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-rated-and-most-viewed-in-eight-years/176862/

Is that fact about the Michigan game right? So that would mean only one college football game did better? (since the final did better) seems hard to believe, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom