ACC Dominates ESPN Ratings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Dominates ESPN Ratings

That second link I just posted has that in there, although it doesn't have raw viewership numbers, just rating.

The championship game had a 14.0 rating. Our Final 4 game vs. Michigan had a 10.2 rating, which made it the third most watched college game (including football) for the 2012-13 academic year.

EDIT: This link gives viewership for the Syracuse Michigan game: 17,104,000.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-rated-and-most-viewed-in-eight-years/176862/

Wowsers.

Is that fact about the Michigan game right? So that would mean only one college football game did better? (since the final did better) seems hard to believe, no?
It is true...in essence Men's Basketball funds all of the NCAA so they can continue their agenda driven silliness. If Men's CBB was monetized like Football a school like Syracuse (and the ACC) would make much more money. The NCAA Hoops Tourney is the Cash Cow for the NCAA and about 350 schools. Schools like Duke and Syracuse are under compensated.
If the P5 plus the next 4 midmajor leagues or so ever break away the Men's Hoops Tourney it would radically change the structure of college athletics.

BCS in 2013 was all on ESPN, forgot that, I bet that has something to do with it.

Is that fact about the Michigan game right? So that would mean only one college football game did better? (since the final did better) seems hard to believe, no?

Seems like a pretty reputable source, so I'm assuming it's true.

This is the sort of passion that draws viewers to Duke games. Hint, Syracuse needs to move its students closer to the court. Way closer.
In case it's not clear, the student passes out at the end of the video. Don't worry. He was up and cheering again soon thereafter.

You're gonna see a lot of SU, Duke, UNC and Lville. They will be the face of the ACC as well as it's best and most consistent teams.
and in 5 years they will all have new coaches.

gonna be interesting for sure. those tier 2 schools should be working towards that 'payday'.

Seems like a pretty reputable source, so I'm assuming it's true.

I believe it now, since I realized the BCS is on ESPn and also I looked up some of the ratings. Second best game of the BCS did a 9.2 in Jan of 2013. Seemed hard to believe at first, I was wrong though.

I don't see that fact mentioned in the linked article though; am i missing it?

Knicks if you played fantasy baseball(note I said baseball because its stats driven than the luck of football) you would probably destroy your league. You are the top analytics person on the board. Sabermetrics seems like your game.

Alsacs said:
ACC Network/Raycom had the rights to the first Duke-UNC game which kept that rating a little down on ESPN, but our game had more viewers even without that. The other top games were from the opening weekend with a lot of hype and involved blue bloods. Kansas vs. Duke and Michigan State vs. Kentucky.

ESPN is committed to ACC hoops now though and the conference needs 7-11 quality teams like the Old Big East instead of the 5 tournament teams its likely to get this season.

Louisville will give us 6 and Notre Dame is usually a top 25ish team. NC State really needs to step it up. There is no reason why they can't be consistently in the top 25.

Louisville will give us 6 and Notre Dame is usually a top 25ish team. NC State really needs to step it up. There is no reason why they can't be consistently in the top 25.
NC State has been to the tournament the last 3 years before this year so while Gottfried hasn't done enough for their delusional fan base he has made the tournament 3 of out 4 years if they don't make it this year, and made the Sweet Sixteen in 2012.

I think UVA/Pitt/ND/NC State/Florida State as a 2nd tier is great for the ACC, and their should be a top 4 finisher in that group almost every year competing with SU/Duke/UNC/Louisville as the top basketball brands yearly.

Knicks if you played fantasy baseball(note I said baseball because its stats driven than the luck of football) you would probably destroy your league. You are the top analytics person on the board. Sabermetrics seems like your game.

Ha, thanks. Fantasy baseball is tough; I usually do pretty well. Have a big auction draft coming up a week from Sat. really hope it doesn't conflict with an SU game...

Ha, thanks. Fantasy baseball is tough; I usually do pretty well. Have a big auction draft coming up a week from Sat. really hope it doesn't conflict with an SU game...
Is it a Syracuse University league on ESPN? I think I may a mutual friend/league owner from SU in that league as we have been game planning for one our teams we do.

I love it how both SU/Duke games beat both UNC/Duke games.

Definitely a new sheriff in town.

Think a lot of that had to do with SU's #1 ranking for the first game...keep in mind three of the top 5 most viewed bball games in college basketball history (including numbers one and two) were UNC/Duke games. Even the most hyped game of the century (SU/Duke this year) couldn't top them.

Is it a Syracuse University league on ESPN? I think I may a mutual friend/league owner from SU in that league as we have been game planning for one our teams we do.

Nope, it's on CBS, which I don't love, but I joined the league a few years after it started.

Think a lot of that had to do with SU's #1 ranking for the first game...keep in mind three of the top 5 most viewed bball games in college basketball history (including numbers one and two) were UNC/Duke games. Even the most hyped game of the century (SU/Duke this year) couldn't top them.

I don't know how much it matters, but SU wasn't ranked first at the time of the first Duke game. Arizona lost like 2 hours after our game that night

Nope, it's on CBS, which I don't love, but I joined the league a few years after it started.

I don't know how much it matters, but SU wasn't ranked first at the time of the first Duke game. Arizona lost like 2 hours after our game that night

SU was undefeated, but you are correct, ranked #2. I don't know that the ratings will be as high when it is #24 vs #9 and both teams already have a couple of losses under their belts.

"The right way undoubtedly involves to Duke-Syracuse games annually."

Awesome journalism, N&O.
ESPN is the ACC's daddy if they want ratings and Syracuse-Duke play x2 for them to get high ratings and the ACC makes more money its good for all. It wouldn't hurt UNC that much and basically smack 1 loss on Syracuse and Duke every season. Make Pitt-Wake play x2 and the switch isn't that hard. I think UNC-Louisville has a chance to be your Syracuse-Duke new rivalry game. I think its a lock North Carolina plays Louisville x2 next year and the @Louisville game is a College Gameday game for North Carolina since you host Duke at the end of the season.

ESPN is the ACC's daddy if they want ratings and Syracuse-Duke play x2 for them to get high ratings and the ACC makes more money its good for all. It wouldn't hurt UNC that much and basically smack 1 loss on Syracuse and Duke every season. Make Pitt-Wake play x2 and the switch isn't that hard. I think UNC-Louisville has a chance to be your Syracuse-Duke new rivalry game. I think its a lock North Carolina plays Louisville x2 next year and the @Louisville game is a College Gameday game for North Carolina since you host Duke at the end of the season.

Agreed, but I wasn't criticizing the content of the article. Just the decision to use "to" rather than "two".

I think it's a safe bet that Louisville will play one of Dook, UNC, and SU 2x next year. If I've interpreted the rotation correctly, they will at the least get home games against Dook and UNC and an away game against SU based on where each played UMd this year. The big problem with making UNC Louisville's permanent partner - NCSU. We'll be "disappointed" that we'll get NCSU 2x instead of Louisville; NCSU will go ballistic.

Regarding ESPN's whispering of sweet nothings in the conerence's ear about changing partners around for TV - cash on the barrelhead, up front, to be equally divided among all conference members or you can expect an 11-4 vote against any change.

I think it's a safe bet that Louisville will play one of Dook, UNC, and SU 2x next year. If I've interpreted the rotation correctly, they will at the least get home games against Dook and UNC and an away game against SU based on where each played UMd this year. The big problem with making UNC Louisville's permanent partner - NCSU. We'll be "disappointed" that we'll get NCSU 2x instead of Louisville; NCSU will go ballistic.

Regarding ESPN's whispering of sweet nothings in the conerence's ear about changing partners around for TV - cash on the barrelhead, up front, to be equally divided among all conference members or you can expect an 11-4 vote against any change.
They won't be permanent I am just saying Louisville-North Carolina has potential to be a good secondary rivalry for UNC like Duke-Syracuse will be. Syracuse will never be Duke's primary rival and we know that. I think Louisville-North Carolina x2 makes sense next year because it has potential to be that Duke-Syracuse rivalry for each other. I think Syracuse-Duke x2 happens if they switch Pitt-Wake to x2 and only 1 school wouldn't like that Wake Forest, but if they still got NC State h/h and one of Duke/UNC at home each season they wouldn't hurt that much. I bet Dixon of Pitt would love the change because he likes to schedule as weakly as he can get away with. NC State and Duke will remain UNC's permanent home/homes.

If the ACC coughed more money for the conference and it got the Wake-Pitt x2 and Syracuse-Duke x2 change its a win/win for everybody.

My guess is that Louisville is going to get a home and home with Duke next year. It's part of the Welcome to the ACC Gift Basket. Syracuse and Pitt both got home games in football with FSU this past season. Louisville gets a home game with FSU in football this next season. Syracuse, Notre Dame and Pitt all had home games with Duke in basketball this season, with Syracuse getting the home and home. This didn't happen by accident. Because of the prominence of its basketball program, I expect that Louisville gets a home and home with Duke next season. The ACC will see what the ratings are on the Duke-Louisville games and the UNC-Louisville game before making any decision on new primary partners.

It would be tough to split up UNC and NCSU as primary partners so that UNC and Louisville could be primary partners. I have a real hard time seeing that happening. UNC wouldn't like it and NCSU would go ballistic. The ACC doesn't want to make any conference member as angry as NCSU would be if they were deprived of a home and home with UNC each season.

I suppose it's possible to go to three primary partners but ESPN would have to cough up some serious additional money to justify that kind of move. Everybody wants their home games with Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville. Tie the power schools up playing more games with each other and there are fewer to go around for the other schools who need the big games to sell tickets and get on ESPN.

My guess is that Louisville is going to get a home and home with Duke next year. It's part of the Welcome to the ACC Gift Basket. Syracuse and Pitt both got home games in football with FSU this past season. Louisville gets a home game with FSU in football this next season. Syracuse, Notre Dame and Pitt all had home games with Duke in basketball this season, with Syracuse getting the home and home. This didn't happen by accident. Because of the prominence of its basketball program, I expect that Louisville gets a home and home with Duke next season. The ACC will see what the ratings are on the Duke-Louisville games and the UNC-Louisville game before making any decision on new primary partners.

It would be tough to split up UNC and NCSU as primary partners so that UNC and Louisville could be primary partners. I have a real hard time seeing that happening. UNC wouldn't like it and NCSU would go ballistic. The ACC doesn't want to make any conference member as angry as NCSU would be if they were deprived of a home and home with UNC each season.

I suppose it's possible to go to three primary partners but ESPN would have to cough up some serious additional money to justify that kind of move. Everybody wants their home games with Duke, UNC, Syracuse and Louisville. Tie the power schools up playing more games with each other and there are fewer to go around for the other schools who need the big games to sell tickets and get on ESPN.
Syracuse got beaten down in Tallahassee this year in football. We get FSU at home in football this next season.

Duke is going to play @Louisville next year because as our UVA friend said above they are inheriting Maryland's schedule and they played @Duke this year. Duke is going to get Pitt at home next year. Syracuse is going to go to UNC next season.

My guess is that Syracuse plays Duke at home next year, and plays @North Carolina.

Louisville is likely to get Duke and UNC at home next year, but they will likely play Duke once @Louisville like they did this year at Notre Dame, Pitt, and UNC will play Louisville home/home. It makes too much sense for it unfold like I have described.

That way Duke will have hosted Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame in the first two years, and North Carolina will get the same thing.

Have to agree with you on that. State will be kicking and screaming all the way. And there will certainly be talk of a conspiracy on the part of ESPN, the ACC, Swofford, Disney, Syracuse, Duke, of course UNC, Louisville, the Real Housewives of (insert city here), CBS, ABC and God. The supporting evidence will be the change itself. Never mind that State sucks balls and don't deserve to have home and away games against UNC or any other Tobacco Road school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom