ACC + ESPN + ND + NBC | Syracusefan.com

ACC + ESPN + ND + NBC

MaskedLurker

Walk On
While I wait for my turkey to cook, I figured I would fire-off my first post while nobody is looking (after lurking for almost 10 years).

(Keep in mind, I'm not a cable exec. This is pure speculation/fantasy, mixed with a healthy dose of common sense)

It seems like the ACC, ESPN, Notre Dame and NBC Sports could hammer out a deal that would benefit everyone and keep the ACC intact. The ACC desperately needs a network to generate revenue. NBC Sports has distribution (parent company Comcast), but needs sports programming. The one thing they have in common is Notre Dame.

A deal between the four parties could work something like this:
-- The ACC adds 3 teams to increase inventory -- intended for NBC Sports.
-- In exchange, NBC/Comcast sells a minority share in NBC Sports (say, 30%) to the ACC and ND
-- ESPN also gets a minority share in NBC Sports (say, 10%) in exchange for relinquishing exclusive rights to the ACC (they'll maintain all 1st- and 2nd-tier rights)

Here's how everyone wins:
-- The ACC gets additional revenue with its ownership stake in an established network (i.e. no need to gamble on its own start-up channel)
-- ESPN keeps more teams from jumping ship, so their long-term investment in the ACC is protected (in exchange for some 3rd-tier content)
-- NBC Sports get a premier 16-team college conference (plus Notre Dame) to fill time on its channel
-- Notre Dame gets to maintain its independence and keep its side deal with NBC

Make it happen. Happy Thanksgiving.

No, NBC is pissed at ESPN. ESPN has had an unholy alliance with FOX. ESPN/FOX have split the Barclay's Premiere League, they joined a bid to get the Pac-12 and Big XII to freeze out NBC and the newly branded NBC Sports Network. If ESPN didn't have an alliance with FOX maybe this would be possible, but the only hope for an ACC Network is if Notre Football signs with ESPN or the ACC and SEC join forces to a create an SEC/ACC network if not the ACC network is DOA.

That may be true. But then again, Fox (via BTN) basically screwed ESPN this week by grabbing Maryland.

Look, I'm not suggesting that what I wrote could actually happen. But, just like the conferences themselves, the cable companies have to be allies and enemies at the same time.

That may be true. But then again, Fox (via BTN) basically screwed ESPN this week by grabbing Maryland.

Look, I'm not suggesting that what I wrote could actually happen. But, just like the conferences themselves, the cable companies have to be allies and enemies at the same time.
http://sports.morganwick.com/2012/1...s-never-going-to-compete-with-either-of-them/
Read that article, NBC isn't going to the ACC and ESPN any favors because of this. Notre Dame football could leave NBC and go ESPN and then the ACC Network would have a chance, but NBC isn't doing ESPN/ACC favors now.

I can't see ESPN/ABC doing anything that assists NBC Sports. A more intriguing possibility would be for ESPN to give ND a sweetheart deal to start their own Irish Network (just like UT's Longhorn Network) when ND's contract with NBC expires. In exchange ND becomes a full member in the ACC. The ACC would agree to let ND keep all the revenue from the Irish Network. That way ND essentially keeps revenue at least equal to their current contract plus gets a full 1/14 share of the ACC. Everybody wins. Someone please forward this to Swofford and Swarbrick.

I can't see ESPN/ABC doing anything that assists NBC Sports. A more intriguing possibility would be for ESPN to give ND a sweetheart deal to start their own Irish Network (just like UT's Longhorn Network) when ND's contract with NBC expires. In exchange ND becomes a full member in the ACC. The ACC would agree to let ND keep all the revenue from the Irish Network. That way ND essentially keeps revenue at least equal to their current contract plus gets a full 1/14 share of the ACC. Everybody wins. Someone please forward this to Swofford and Swarbrick.
You get it, this is exactly what they should do.

Texas , Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Florida St, Miami, Clemson have to be in a conference together, either in the ACC or a combination of the 2 leagues. You have to have enough power to screw the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, ESPN, FOX, that's why I said dissolve and form a new conference out of 2. The old conferences held all contracts, so the TV networks have to negotiate with a new conference. You add USF, Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut to take them off the board. Getting really creative with all that power in 1 conference, you invite USC, Stanford, Alabama, Auburn, split into 2 - 16 team semi-conferences. You control Texas, put a bite on SEC with state of Alabama, and California new area. You effectively Freeze out the other 3 conferences from anything, you have the east, mid-west, south, and west. Unfortunately the powers to be aren't that creative, "Happy Thanksgiving ".

No, NBC is pissed at ESPN. ESPN has had an unholy alliance with FOX. ESPN/FOX have split the Barclay's Premiere League, they joined a bid to get the Pac-12 and Big XII to freeze out NBC and the newly branded NBC Sports Network. If ESPN didn't have an alliance with FOX maybe this would be possible, but the only hope for an ACC Network is if Notre Football signs with ESPN or the ACC and SEC join forces to a create an SEC/ACC network if not the ACC network is DOA.
From what I understand is that Murdock HATES espn and wants to be the big dog in all sports.

From what I understand is that Murdock HATES espn and wants to be the big dog in all sports.
Then why have ESPN/FOX had a good relationship. They split the Barclay's Premier League Soccer rights, they joined a bid for the Big XII and Pac-12 that is incorrect.

Then why have ESPN/FOX had a good relationship. They split the Barclay's Premier League Soccer rights, they joined a bid for the Big XII and Pac-12 that is incorrect.
You got to get your foot in the door first . Check the YES network and there new gig with the Yankees . 1.5 billion for N.Y Yankees . It's a super long contract . Thats all Murdock .

The Yanks will be on YES through 2042.

Because the Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network would look pretty friggin stupid if they couldn't show Yankees games. :D

You got to get your foot in the door first . Check the YES network and there new gig with the Yankees . 1.5 billion for N.Y Yankees . It's a super long contract . Thats all Murdock .
No offense, but facts are facts ESPN and FOX may be enemies, but they had a bigger enemy in Comcast/NBC and they destroyed NBC Sports Network, by working together. ESPN/FOX have worked together with the Barclay's Premiere League and the contracts for the Pac-12 and Big 12, and ESPN has not nor will they ever work with Comcast thus your premise is incorrect.