ACC fans won't like this... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC fans won't like this...

SU - Duke will be a big game as long as both teams are good and JB and K are there. They will never consider us a rival unless the two of us duke it out (no pun) for the league title the next ten years. Our rivals lie where the history is, and that is Louisville and Pitt. Louisville has beat us when we were #1, and we returned the favor. Pitt has mauled us more than once over the years, breaking our unbeaten streaks. We already have reasons to dislike them. It will take a lot for SU - Duke to be a hated rivalry. Maybe if we sweep them this season they'll hate us a little more, but their fans think we're beneath them.
I don't think it will take long. Certainly not from an SU perspective. They are already the biggest game, get the highest attendence, get the highest TV ratings, of anyone we will play.

The LVille and even Pitt histories are not very deep. LVille has been in the league less than 10 years. And Pitt has been good for only half the time in the Big East.

While, yes, initially the fans at Duke will feel we are beneath them. But if things break right we will kind of grow on them like UConn did to us. But we might be on an accelerated path if we take down Duke and the ACC right off the bat.

I don't think it will take long. Certainly not from an SU perspective. They are already the biggest game, get the highest attendence, get the highest TV ratings, of anyone we will play.

The LVille and even Pitt histories are not very deep. LVille has been in the league less than 10 years. And Pitt has been good for only half the time in the Big East.

While, yes, initially the fans at Duke will feel we are beneath them. But if things break right we will kind of grow on them like UConn did to us. But we might be on an accelerated path if we take down Duke and the ACC right off the bat.

There is definitely some validity to that. As you say, Louisville had a relatively short tenure in the BE, and yet we developed quite a competitive rivalry with them after the first few years.

The key is being good--rivalries ensue when you knock people off and are legitimate contenders to compete for the conference crown consistently, even if lengthy history or geographic considerations aren't factors.

There is definitely some validity to that. As you say, Louisville had a relatively short tenure in the BE, and yet we developed quite a competitive rivalry with them after the first few years.

The key is being good--rivalries ensue when you knock people off and are legitimate contenders to compete for the conference crown consistently, even if lengthy history or geographic considerations aren't factors.
Adding to the possibility could be a slip-up of their current rival - UNC. If they stay pathetic, the rivalry diminishes, kind of what happened with SU/Gtown which eased access for more hate to be going UConn's way.

It's possible we could play Duke 3 times this year (and a stretch possibility of a huge 4th). All big ratings. Things could heat up quickly.

What a terrible post. I understand we are in a new conference and that Syracuse is trying to manufacture some rivalries to make up for what we lost in leaving the Big East but Georgetown and UConn are what some of us grew up with. I have been a season ticket holder the last decade because I grew up supporting Syracuse against those hated teams. I will continue to support the Orange against new foes but do I want to see those teams on the schedule in the future on a semi-regular basis? Absolutely. No reason not to be playing Georgetown unless they do not want the game. I hate UConn most of all but understand not playing them unless its a MSG/Dome tradeoff (and it wont be) due to us gaining little with a game in the middle of nowhere.

Doh! Forgive him, for he knows not what he does.

And it won't be that way forever. Great way to start rivalries in a new league. We'll be on the receiving end in several years so I'll take the good times today!
Don't put me in a foxhole with you..

You're right, the truth hurts the most. On the UNC board they fully admit that they're not playing at the level they've played at in the past. I haven't been to the Duke board lately, but I'm sure that most all of them would readily admit they haven't done anything this year to make anyone quake in their boots. Pitt and SU are making the conference look good right now and it's hoped others will join in as the season goes on.

I was reading their board the other day and their fans were saying we are between 4-6 in the ACC this year.

Duke's primary rival is and always will be UNC. That said, Duke's secondary rival (Maryland) is leaving the conference so there is a big gap there that Syracuse might be able to fill. Time will tell.

I am not sure how I can 'live in the future' but I am sure some on here will enlighten me. ;)

Charlie: Where did you see this?

Maverick: Uh, that's classified.

Charlie: It's what?

Maverick: It's classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom