ACC Games for Dec 16-17 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Games for Dec 16-17

Elliot Cadeau turned it over under 10 seconds left when they had a chance to tie. He struggled today, but he makes them way better. Elite passer.

ACC was the best basketball 15 or 20 years ago. Now most teams in ACC struggle playing B1G, SEC and Big 12.

Eh I’ve stopped caring about UConn more and more the longer we have distanced from being in the Big East.
Because they’re so much better than us?

Because they’re so much better than us?
Because they’re irrelevant to our program. It’s similar to why I don’t really care about Kansas, UCLA, and even Villanova. We don’t play them any more and they don’t impact our conference record or standings. The only possible connection would be recruiting but we don’t seem to recruit against each other much anymore either.

A tough day for the ACC yesterday.

I will say this however - at a high peek level, as a whole the ACC while not being that good has been more competitive this year than prior year in OOC. The hole they have dug themselves is nowhere near as large as the 2 prior years, They are much closer to the 2nd and 3rd best conferences than 2022 and 2023 And that should help middle of the pack ACC teams come selection Sunday at least compared to 2022 and 2023.

Last year the Big 12, B10, and the SEC (to a degree) dominated OOC. Right now its only the B12 that is separating itself by a clear margin over everybody else (that could be a 9 bid league now that they are 14 teams). The ACC is fairly close to everybody else.

While we are probably still the #5 conference so far, the gap between the #2 and #3 conferences and the ACC smaller this year. This means that teams that perform in the ACC like Wake (22) or Clemson (23) would probably get in, as the bids are more evenly spread out.

The conference has had some bad losses - but less than last year.

I'll do a fuller analysis between Christmas and New Year, with comp's to prior year.

Last edited:
ACC was the best basketball 15 or 20 years ago. Now most teams in ACC struggle playing B1G, SEC and Big 12.
This isn’t true. The ACC was the best or second best conference during our early years in the conference, up until about 3-4 years ago.

A tough day for the ACC yesterday.

I will say this however - at a high peek level, as a whole the ACC while not being that good has been more competitive this year than prior year in OOC. The hole they have dug themselves is nowhere near as large as the 2 prior years, They are much closer to the 2nd and 3rd best conferences than 2022 and 2023 And that should help middle of the pack ACC teams come selection Sunday at least compared to 2022 and 2023.

Last year the Big 12, B10, and the SEC (to a degree) dominated OOC. Right now its only the B12 that is separating itself by a clear margin over everybody else (that could be a 9 bid league now that they are 14 teams). The ACC is fairly close to everybody else.

While we are probably still the #5 conference so far, the gap between the #2 and #3 conferences and the ACC smaller this year. This means that teams that perform in the ACC like Wake (22) or Clemson (23) would probably get in, as the bids are more evenly spread out.

The conference has had some bad losses - but less than last year.

I'll do a fuller analysis between Christmas and New Year, with comp's to prior year.
Interesting analysis but I feel SU won't win enough games for ACC rating to matter.:(

This isn’t true. The ACC was the best or second best conference during our early years in the conference, up until about 3-4 years ago.
You are absolutely right. It just feels much longer than it actually is.

Since Syracuse joined the conference, four HOF coaches have left. Williams, Krzyzewski, and Boeheim retired and Louisville dismissed Pitino. Even if they had declined a bit when he left, Mike Brey was a pretty decent coach at Notre Dame. Also, Dixon left Pitt for his alma mater, and I don't think Hamilton has adjusted his coaching model to the new transfer portal rules. (And, just prior to Syracuse joining the conference, Gary Willams retired from Maryland.) Essentially, some programs which were very strong have had trouble making good hires (Pitt, Wake and Georgia Tech). It remains to be seen if Syracuse, Duke, and/or North Carolina have made the right hires. And, then there's Louisville. There are a lot of unknowns in the immediate future of the ACC.

Last edited:
like 3 years ago ACC was the dominant conference...15 - 20? lol

you mean back when Syracuse was #1?

Interesting analysis but I feel SU won't win enough games for ACC rating to matter.:(

Today was a nice start.

We have had a middling OOC -- but not bad either. Last year the profile of what we achieved to date, is probably not getting in with a 13-7 or much less 12-8 ACC record. My guess is this year it could be different because more good will seep into your resume with 12 or 13 ACC wins then last year.

Today was a nice start.

We have had a middling OOC -- but not bad either. Last year the profile of what we achieved to date, is probably not getting in with a 13-7 or much less 12-8 ACC record. My guess is this year it could be different because more good will seep into your resume with 12 or 13 ACC wins then last year.
best thing for us is Oregon getting healthy and winning some games.

I don't get your team, at all
I believe that these are the keys to remember:
There's talent, but, for the most part, it is inexperienced, and the most experienced players (the two grad transfers) are in their first year playing in Coach Bennett's systems. Beekman is the only returning starter. He is also one of only two returning upperclassmen who have seen action in a Virginia uniform. The only other returning players who saw significant game action last year are McKneely and Dunn. Aside from Beekman, Murray, and the two graduate transfers, everyone else on the team are either 1st or 2nd year. Virginia is a work in progress. That said, having Beekman as the primary ballhandler and leader of this team has more than a bit of value.

Virginia's front line is a bit thin and lacks size. It's a concern. Groves is more of a stretch 4, and asking him to defend centers has its own set of problems. Buchanan has a bucket load of talent, but he needs to put on weight and gain both strength and experience. He isn't quite ready for P6 basketball, although without him Virginia wouldn't have defeated Florida. Jordan Minor played in a zone defense at Merrimack and he has struggled in the pack line m2m.

As for the Northeastern game, I am attributing some of the problem to post-exam rust. Also, there have been reports that Rohde didn't practice for nine days due to do some unnamed issue (injury?). Regardless, UVa has three shooters who can be relied upon to hit from beyond the arc (McKneely, Groves, & Rohde). They don't all have to be "on" in any given game, but if they're all struggling, Virginia will have problems.

Lastly, after the Memphis game this coming Tuesday, Virginia has a very favorable schedule. The youngsters get to gain some experience (and, hopefully, more confidence) as the meat of the schedule doesn't begin until February. As I said, this team is a "work in progress", and we're all looking forward to see how far they can go.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom