ACC: King of major college sports | Syracusefan.com

ACC: King of major college sports

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
At least until next Fall...

Just wanted to point out that yesterday was just the second time in the last quarter-century that two schools from the same conference won the football national title and the basketball national title in the same academic year.

Not an easy thing to do. Good for the ACC!

Obviously the Florida Gators had a special run from 2006 to 2007 where they had a basketball-football-basketball Title Sandwich.

But regarding separate schools, before the SEC did it with Alabama-Kentucky five years ago, the last conference to do it was the ACC back in 1991 when Georgia Tech won the co-national championship in football and Duke won the title in basketball. Probably have to go back much longer for outright-champions only.

That's a pretty cool accomplishment -- it honestly is.

Not sure that it helps Syracuse University much [other than maybe giving our coaches a line to repeat on the recruiting trail], but I see no direct benefit to Clemson winning [just for example] and how that would improve OUR recruiting. But it is definitely an impressive accomplishment for the conference.

I love it. It'll be interesting how Finebaum spins it. I guess he'll say the SEC is dominant due to the women winning. ACC! ACC! ACC!

Out here on the left side they call the Pac 12 "the Conference of Champions". Haha.

Who won soccer ?
How about cuse lacrosse natl championship.

dumb-and-dumber-bar-scene-o.gif.cf.gif

Who cares? We didn't win it, I'm not going to be nor ever be happy if UNC, Duke, Clemson or freaking BC win a title.

Amen. So sick of this conference loyalty garbage. Clemson winning in football and UNC winning in basketball aren't going to improve our mediocre results in those sports. The University hasn't even shown the commitment to using the money we gained by switching conferences.

Amen. So sick of this conference loyalty garbage. Clemson winning in football and UNC winning in basketball aren't going to improve our mediocre results in those sports. The University hasn't even shown the commitment to using the money we gained by switching conferences.

Here is a Dome renovation update from chakka on the football board posted tonight that talks about spending some of the ACC money

Future Campus Framework Discussion

The conference loyalty stuff bothers me almost as much as "we have acc money now", "we make more than <enter former rivals name here> now.

I just want to win basketball games and football games. Don't care if we're in the ACC, AAC or the California Penal League.

Last I knew, we were winners and cared about winning, now we talk about how much SU makes and how great our conference is like it's better than winning. Crazy...

The conference loyalty stuff bothers me almost as much as "we have acc money now", "we make more than <enter former rivals name here> now.

I just want to win basketball games and football games. Don't care if we're in the ACC, AAC or the California Penal League.

Last I knew, we were winners and cared about winning, now we talk about how much SU makes and how great our conference is like it's better than winning. Crazy...
All due respect, but this is an extremely short-sighted perspective. Ask UConn & Cincy if they'd rather be in the AAC, vs the ACC. Mayhaps there was a chance we could have been in their shoes, no? When it comes to conference realignment, simply winning ball games is not the priority, unfortunate as that may be. (See: NJ, Rutgers).
In terms of money, security, prestige both academic and athletic, our conference affiliation matters.
I choose to cheer for conference members to do well because that means more cheddar in SU's coffers. Better performances by conference members likely means better contracts, more affiliations, and greater sponsorships. Anything that benefits SU, matters. Its extremely naive to assume otherwise, as that's just the way things are nowadays. This ain't our Daddy's college athletics...that's the reality. JMHO

All due respect, but this is an extremely short-sighted perspective. Ask UConn & Cincy if they'd rather be in the AAC, vs the ACC. Mayhaps there was a chance we could have been in their shoes, no? When it comes to conference realignment, simply winning ball games is not the priority, unfortunate as that may be. (See: NJ, Rutgers).
In terms of money, security, prestige both academic and athletic, our conference affiliation matters.
I choose to cheer for conference members to do well because that means more cheddar in SU's coffers. Better performances by conference members likely means better contracts, more affiliations, and greater sponsorships. Anything that benefits SU, matters. Its extremely naive to assume otherwise, as that's just the way things are nowadays. This ain't our Daddy's college athletics...that's the reality. JMHO

I get it, I really do. But I'd personally rather be in the Big East or AAC winning 30 games and making noise in the tournament than being a bubble team year after year.

Again, love the Final Four , but we could have done that from the AAC or BE.

I get it, I really do. But I'd personally rather be in the Big East or AAC winning 30 games and making noise in the tournament than being a bubble team year after year.

Again, love the Final Four , but we could have done that from the AAC or BE.
Football dictates the ACC

Football dictates the ACC

For sure! I doubt we have Babers without being in the ACC and I think he will lead us back to the top 25.

All in all, I'm good with the ACC, more upset about the roster management and recruiting in basketball. I didn't want to see these days coming but I've been saying for a few of seasons that trouble may be ahead.

Did you all see some of these North Carolina games? Did North Carolina even play well in the tournament? I used to be somewhat of a fan, but there is no accomplishment here. Like Calipari said, the referees were choosing the players to call fouls on. There is no reason to celebrate anything, and we know why the NCAA chose the worst referees to do the games. Emmert has been called the most crooked guy in America.

Did you all see some of these North Carolina games? Did North Carolina even play well in the tournament? I used to be somewhat of a fan, but there is no accomplishment here. Like Calipari said, the referees were choosing the players to call fouls on. There is no reason to celebrate anything, and we know why the NCAA chose the worst referees to do the games. Emmert has been called the most crooked guy in America.

Do you really believe that if there was a "fix" it would have resulted in UNC winning? I don't disagree that the refereeing hasn't been great, but to think the NCAA or Emmert intentionally did something to cause UNC to win the National Championship is pure fantasy.

Do you really believe that if there was a "fix" it would have resulted in UNC winning? I don't disagree that the refereeing hasn't been great, but to think the NCAA or Emmert intentionally did something to cause UNC to win the National Championship is pure fantasy.

Yes, I do believe it. And Calipari believes it, too. Why is the NCAA choosing the worst referees? Why did Duke beat Wisconsin 2 years ago, with a flopping Grayson Allen? I see a consistency, that can't be hidden. But I guess not everyone sees it. Didn't the referees help North Carolina this year for 3 or 4 games? Why is the NCAA not punishing North Carolina? Because they want them to win. This is the way it seems, to me. But maybe its all coincidence. I certainly don't understand why a blue blood winning is more important than integrity and entertainment value and fairness. Again, why are the worst referees doing the games?

lol I love posts like these

Yes, I do believe it. And Calipari believes it, too. Why is the NCAA choosing the worst referees? Why did Duke beat Wisconsin 2 years ago, with a flopping Grayson Allen? I see a consistency, that can't be hidden. But I guess not everyone sees it. Didn't the referees help North Carolina this year for 3 or 4 games? Why is the NCAA not punishing North Carolina? Because they want them to win. This is the way it seems, to me. But maybe its all coincidence. I certainly don't understand why a blue blood winning is more important than integrity and entertainment value and fairness. Again, why are the worst referees doing the games?

So what happened last year?

Here is a Dome renovation update from chakka on the football board posted tonight that talks about spending some of the ACC money

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Yeah I saw that on the football board.

I don't mind the ACC at all and I think we can compete here, but I could care less about Clemson or UNC from a football or basketball perspective...

Who cares? We didn't win it, I'm not going to be nor ever be happy if UNC, Duke, Clemson or freaking BC win a title.
Exactly. Do you think Duke is going to rah rah Syracuse if we win the conference title at their expense?

Some of you need an enema.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom