ACC must not care | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC must not care

I believe the mere fact that it’s such a hassle to park hurts attendance. The casual fan just doesn’t want to deal with the aggravation of it. I have no doubt that easy convenient parking would increase attendance but what do I know. I think you’d get a lot more casual fans to the games.

Every lot requires a parking pass. There’s only a couple of garages and one of those garages now also requires a pass. The trolley train is defunct. All the side streets towards wescott are coned off and if you deviate or are on the wrong side of the street you get a ticket. Great, park at skytop and get bused. People hate that.

By the way, when did parking at manley became a parking pass lot? I noticed that driving by for the Wake game.

Slightly off topic – but I love how they have the quad parking pass lots all fenced off and torn up with construction – especially the main thoroughfare between the quad and the dome. Great planning there to have it torn up during football season.

Aside from your inaccuracies about parking permits, I'd like to know where you go to see a football game where you don't have the same issues that you have at SU. Most big-time programs have parking "issues".

Go to a Rutgers home game and you park in a mud field, then walk 5-10 minutes, stand in line 10 minutes, ride a bus for 10 minutes, then walk another 5 minutes. Go to VaTech, park then walk 20+ minutes depending on where you park. Go to UMD and sit in traffic for 30 minutes on route 1. Go to OSU and walk 30 minutes to the stadium. Go to a Jets game, drive around for 15 minutes to get to your spot, then walk 20 minutes to the gate.

Anywhere you go, you have to allow 30 minutes to get to your seat. I just don't get where SU fans expect going to a football game is like going to the multiplex in Auburn.

Aside from your inaccuracies about parking permits, I'd like to know where you go to see a football game where you don't have the same issues that you have at SU. Most big-time programs have parking "issues".

Go to a Rutgers home game and you park in a mud field, then walk 5-10 minutes, stand in line 10 minutes, ride a bus for 10 minutes, then walk another 5 minutes. Go to VaTech, park then walk 20+ minutes depending on where you park. Go to UMD and sit in traffic for 30 minutes on route 1. Go to OSU and walk 30 minutes to the stadium. Go to a Jets game, drive around for 15 minutes to get to your spot, then walk 20 minutes to the gate.

Anywhere you go, you have to allow 30 minutes to get to your seat. I just don't get where SU fans expect going to a football game is like going to the multiplex in Auburn.

It's my opinion that parking at Syracuse is incredibly inconvienant and limits attendence. I admit I don't have anything to compare it to. I just know what I see at Syracuse. The only time I had a car at an away venue was Michigan and there were giant lots all over the place right next to the stadium.

I don't personally have a problem parking - as I have access to 3 different parkings passes; The quad, the women's gym and one of the parking garages.

Found a pretty slick non-pass spot at the Wake game and that'll remain a secret.

Maybe instead of turning on the TV, you come to the Dome yourself.

And get your friends to come with you.

How 'bout it?

I had season tix last year even though my wife lost her job, was on unemployment, and we lived 2 hours away. This year I got a pink slip and had no idea what I was going to be doing to pay my bills so I wasn't able to renew. Any other suggestions for what I should do with my money?

The McNabb era is the wrong one to cite.

Attendance was outstanding during those years.

It's the only one i can cite b/c it's the only time i went to games at the Dome on a consistent basis. My point is people will always find a reason to slam Syracuse. If it's the attendance, so be it. You can't force people to go. All you can do is hope the team gets more exciting and wins more often. If that happens, they will return to 40k crowds (NOT sold out crowds which never happened as i first alluded to an ongoing basis during mcnabb era)

It's the only one i can cite b/c it's the only time i went to games at the Dome on a consistent basis. My point is people will always find a reason to slam Syracuse. If it's the attendance, so be it. You can't force people to go. All you can do is hope the team gets more exciting and wins more often. If that happens, they will return to 40k crowds (NOT sold out crowds which never happened as i first alluded to an ongoing basis during mcnabb era)
I don't have the stats, but during the McNabb era nearly every game was close to sold out or at least in the high 40Ks.

All you can do is hope the team gets more exciting and wins more often.

Is that the only way to improve attendance? I don't believe it is.

For example, in 1974, the Cleveland Indians had been averaging home crowds of 8,000. So, on June 4th, the Indians decided to sell 8oz cups of beer for 10 cents. They drew 25, 134 that night. Not only was the crowd more than 3x the average, they were rowdy!

Let's have 10 cent beer at Dome games!!!

For example, in 1974, the Cleveland Indians had been averaging home crowds of 8,000. So, on June 4th, the Indians decided to sell 8oz cups of beer for 10 cents. They drew 25, 134 that night. Not only was the crowd more than 3x the average, they were rowdy!

The house would be packed and it would be preposterous.

Count me in.

I don't have the stats, but during the McNabb era nearly every game was close to sold out or at least in the high 40Ks.

Pretty sure this is true, I was in college at the time out near Oneonta and tried to purchase tix a couple of games his last year and was too late.

Also, my previous post was maybe a little @hole sounding. My point was that I have attempted to support the team even when money has been tight and despite the drive. I have attended a game this year as well.

The original post to start the thread was really written "off the cuff" as I was starting to watch the start of the game. Probably shouldn't have started the thread in the first place.

And I think a riot occurred and the promotion was banished.

I have a similar idea.

Why not sell very cheap - $10.00 - tailgate spots all along the Quad and other nice areas on campus - and rent tailgate canopies to those who purchase the spaces.

When we traveled to USC we noticed that there were tailgate canopies through the entire campus - all of them were USC colors and all of them were crowded and fun.

Transform the SU campus into a large tailgate city for the home games.

Make the entire experience the kind that attracts all kinds of fans.

We averaged 46,300 during McNabbs 4 years of playing.

I have a similar idea.

Why not sell very cheap - $10.00 - tailgate spots all along the Quad and other nice areas on campus - and rent tailgate canopies to those who purchase the spaces.

When we traveled to USC we noticed that there were tailgate canopies through the entire campus - all of them were USC colors and all of them were crowded and fun.

The USC experience would work if we had USC weather.

about attendance or a fanbase because otherwise they would have never considered us.

Data for attendance from 2009 for the ACC (with National Rank):

No. 19 - Florida State, 74,345

No. 20 - Clemson, 74,214

No. 23 - Virginia Tech, 66,233

No. 33 - UNC, 56,607

No. 34 - NC State, 56,422
No. 38 - Pittsburgh, 53,446

No. 41 - Georgia Tech, 51,584

No. 49 - Virginia, 47,986

No. 50 - Miami, 47,551

No. 54 - Maryland, 44,452

No. 59 - Syracuse, 39,043

No. 65 - Boston College, 35,716

No. 72 - Wake Forest, 31,791

No. 78 - Duke, 26,314

This puts Syracuse in the bottom quarter of teams in the ACC. Note that even if we sold out every game, we would still do no better than 7th or 8th place in attendance. Since this is based on 2009 season data, so I would hope that our attendance would continue to improve to a higher level as we win more games. This is another reason why Syracuse and Pittsburgh is a better fit for the ACC instead of the Big 10. There are some teams that don't draw big crowds in the Big 10, but there 10 of the 12 teams draw over 50,000 fans per game (Ohio St, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan St, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota).

The USC experience would work if we had USC weather.
Yes, but most of the games in the early to mid parts of the season are fine.

The first three games this year have been nice.

Hey, they tailgate at Penn State, ND, Michigan and Nebraska.

It can be done.

By the way, when did parking at manley became a parking pass lot? I noticed that driving by for the Wake game.

I had a pass for that lot back in the late 90's. I think they used to let people in that didn't have season passes closer to game time, but stopped when the Melo Center was built.

I have a similar idea.

They do this at Texas A&M, too. Most fans (except for the high rollers) can't park a car within a 15-minute walk of the stadium. They reserve tailgating spots before the game, drop off their beer, grills, etc. the morning of the game, park elsewhere, walk in and have a great tailgate.

Despite the name, tailgating can work without a car right there. I'd like to think we'll move in that direction as parking spaces on Campus West get removed in coming years. The Quad is a great spot for tailgating, and there's a ton of open space.

It's my opinion that parking at Syracuse is incredibly inconvienant

I say this not because I'm trying to be a dick, but because I'd sincerely like to know: what about parking is incredibly inconvenient (or even simply inconvenient)? What's difficult about it now and what could be done to make it better?

I don't drive to games, but I see plenty of people who do. They park in free on-street spaces on Walnut Avenue in front of my house (for the first time this year, we tailgated down there and departed late - probably about 11:30 - and there were still spaces available). For a noon game on 24 September, they park on the side that says "Odd-Even;" for the noon game on 1 October, I imagine they'll park on the side that says "Even-Odd." Then they walk 14 minutes to the Dome. Strikes me as as painless and inexpensive as parking could be.

I hope so, but talking with my Dad, who went to every home game in '59, he said they couldn't come close to filling Archbold that year. And even if the fans return, they will likely still leave early to beat the "traffic".

It is laughable that the reported attendance was 39k. It looked like maybe 25k.
Here is the attendance for Syracuse games in 1959

Syracuse Opponent Game Day Attendance Win/Lose
Syracuse Kansas 9/26/1959 25,000 W
Syracuse Maryland 10/3/1959 30,000 W
Syracuse @Navy 10/10/1959 31,700 W
Syracuse Holy Cross 10/17/1959 30,000 W
Syracuse West Virginia 10/24/1959 35,000 W
Syracuse @Pittsburgh 10/31/1959 25,761 W
Syracuse @Penn State 11/7/1959 32,800 W
Syracuse Colgate 11/14/1959 31,000 W
Syracuse @Boston University 11/21/1959 22,000 W
Syracuse @UCLA 12/5/1959 46,436 W
Syracuse @Texas 01/1/1960 75,504 W

From upperdeck's site

That is an average of 30,200 in a stadium that held 40,001 that's 75% of capacity for the championship season.

Here is the attendance for Syracuse games in 1959

Syracuse Opponent Game Day Attendance Win/Lose
Syracuse Kansas 9/26/1959 25,000 W
Syracuse Maryland 10/3/1959 30,000 W
Syracuse @Navy 10/10/1959 31,700 W
Syracuse Holy Cross 10/17/1959 30,000 W
Syracuse West Virginia 10/24/1959 35,000 W
Syracuse @Pittsburgh 10/31/1959 25,761 W
Syracuse @Penn State 11/7/1959 32,800 W
Syracuse Colgate 11/14/1959 31,000 W
Syracuse @Boston University 11/21/1959 22,000 W
Syracuse @UCLA 12/5/1959 46,436 W
Syracuse @Texas 01/1/1960 75,504 W

From upperdeck's site

So, the biggest crowd was 35 k (out of 40k capacity) against WVU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom