ACC Network - "All Access with Syracuse Football" premiering August 12th | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network - "All Access with Syracuse Football" premiering August 12th

Maybe depth concerns last year, as opposed to coaching style.

Yeah I dont know. It’s football, guys are always gonna have bumps and bruises and injuries, but if you don’t practice the way the game is played, you’re not going to be as good and as tough as you need to be when it matters.

Did anyone else catch OG say something like “guys aren’t afraid to hit this year”

Tells you everything you need to know about the difference in coaching from last year to this year.
I was thinking about that quote last night. I almost wonder if lack of depth changed how practice went in the old regim. Compounding lack of prep which led to mediocre result. Snowballing.
I think what you see here with Fran is trust. From staff to players and so forth. He got a big foundation set up for himself with transfers and depth and now it’s prep without worrying about injuries so to speak.

I was thinking about that quote last night. I almost wonder if lack of depth changed how practice went in the old regim. Compounding lack of prep which led to mediocre result. Snowballing.
I think what you see here with Fran is trust. From staff to players and so forth. He got a big foundation set up for himself with transfers and depth and now it’s prep without worrying about injuries so to speak.
I believe Dino played softball to try and stop attrition to the starting roster, but I don’t think that’s a good way to halt injuries necessarily. I mean we have been hitting harder in practice then Dino ever allowed it appears and we are not seeing a higher correlation of injuries. Maybe that’s better SC program, who knows, or just when guys are going hard and not holding up they actually get less injuries? It may be more counter productive to have the guys always thinking about slowing up and hitting softer. Hard to explain, maybe some of you all will pick up what I’m putting down.

All in all - these boys seem like they are going to be hitting hard come Saturday. They are used to it and want contact. The culture is set, they want violence. Let’s go!

I believe Dino played softball to try and stop attrition to the starting roster, but I don’t think that’s a good way to halt injuries necessarily. I mean we have been hitting harder in practice then Dino ever allowed it appears and we are not seeing a higher correlation of injuries. Maybe that’s better SC program, who knows, or just when guys are going hard and not holding up they actually get less injuries? It may be more counter productive to have the guys always thinking about slowing up and hitting softer. Hard to explain, maybe some of you all will pick up what I’m putting down.

All in all - these boys seem like they are going to be hitting hard come Saturday. They are used to it and want contact. The culture is set, they want violence. Let’s go!

I get what you’re saying and I believe this 100%

We haven't heard a lot about Villari.

Secret weapon maybe?

I think injuries and moving OG over to TE has taken away from Villari a little. Where does he fit now? Are we going to run double TE and take one of what looks like an explosive WR group off the field? Tough spot for Villari to be in I think.

I think injuries and moving OG over to TE has taken away from Villari a little. Where does he fit now? Are we going to run double TE and take one of what looks like an explosive WR group off the field? Tough spot for Villari to be in I think.

I'd say it's more the injuries to Villari than comp w OG.

I'm sure we'll run some 2 TE sets.
And equally sure that OG will get flexed out to all sorts of other positions during the course of a game, during which Dan V can play the actual TE position.

Or vice-versa - Villari could come in as an H-back, and do all kinds of fun stuff from there.

But he needs to get back healthy first.

I'd say it's more the injuries to Villari than comp w OG.

I'm sure we'll run some 2 TE sets.
And equally sure that OG will get flexed out to all sorts of other positions during the course of a game, during which Dan V can play the actual TE position.

Or vice-versa - Villari could come in as an H-back, and do all kinds of fun stuff from there.

But he needs to get back healthy first.

OG, Allen, Pena, Hatcher, Haynes. (Ear muffs Millhouse), only so many balls to go around.

Totally expect to see a better brand of football than we have seen in a bit. Who knows what happen with Dino, I'm just happy to see some positive trends. I think as you make decisions you need the right people around you holding you accountable.

if we throw 30 a game that only leaves about 20 to be caught even at 70% completions. if we throw 3-4 to the RBs even less for the WRs.

On the flip side if we can control the game and get to 75-80 plays maybe we can throw 35 a game.

Totally expect to see a better brand of football than we have seen in a bit. Who knows what happen with Dino, I'm just happy to see some positive trends. I think as you make decisions you need the right people around you holding you accountable.
I think this about the Dino era:

1. He was hired due to a system that was really good but on the tail end of being en vogue.
2. He couldn't recruit the talent he needed to overcome the systems shortcomings.
3. He thought he'd be gone by 2019. (USC did snoop around, but didn't fire their guy)
4. He lost his system, thought he'd be gone and the energy was sapped which slowly eroded the team, recruiting, etc.
5. He is a good guy that got eaten up by the job. It happens. It can be hard to win here.

That's all to say, Fran is exactly what we needed. I'm watching these with my 15 and 12 year old boys and they freaking eat every second of it up. Can't wait for Sat

Agree. I think Dino approached physicality the same way that some short sighted businesses approach training.

What if we invest in training them and they leave?

Well what we don't train them and they stay!

Fran knows scared money don't make money

Is the 3rd one online someplace?

Is the 3rd one online someplace?

WatchESPN app

Go to Browse

Go to Channels

Go to ACCNX

Scroll all the way down to the On Demand Section

Or watch on your desktop:

It was a good series. Didn't dive into any real drama but that is fine. The team and staff came off as likeable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom