ACC Network Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like these guys for antenna equipment. They have experts on call to help you select the antenna, too.

Solid Signal

This antenna is my favorite for medium to long range in a smaller profile. I like it because it holds up better in wind and ice than the old style antennas.

Antennas Direct ClearStream 4 HDTV Antenna With J-Mount (C4-CJM) from Solid Signal

They have updated the one above but I can't comment on it but looks good.

Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V VHF UHF HDTV Antenna (C4-V-CJM) from Solid Signal

Also remember an antenna rotor might be necessary:. Trying to pull in stations from different cities. Or the antenna farms in you town are geographically separated.
Good stuff. We're 60-70 miles from. The antennas. I know a few guys that had great luck with this one.(myself included).
CM-4228HD EXTREMEtenna 80 | Channel Master

How sad. I am fascinated with the reverence many ACC fans have for Raycom.

A lot of people really liked them and were genuinely sad when their days doing broadcasts of ACC games ended.

Of course, some others hated them and hated the last deal the ACC did with them, which cost all ACC schools many millions of dollars by delaying the start of the ACCN.

I can only assume many ACC fans have no idea what a good broadcast of a football or basketball game should look like. Really hoping Raycom's role in the ACCN is limited. Tasks they are well qualified for, like converting old VHS tapes to digital format, entering descriptions for old broadcasts into a searchable database,, sweeping the floor, etc.

The like Raycom for the same reason here people liked going to a bar that should've been condemned with 1000 better options in the immediate radius, just their sports heritage from growing up (and a simpler time).

The like Raycom for the same reason here people liked going to a bar that should've been condemned with 1000 better options in the immediate radius, just their sports heritage from growing up (and a simpler time).
^^^This. I can tell you from personal experience that Raycom and its predecessor (Sail with the Pilot!) have been broadcasting ACC b-ball games for 50 years. I'm positive it began well before I entered school. When the Supreme Court took the football broadcasting rights away from the NCAA (Regents of Oklahoma v. NCAA), Raycom started doing football as well. It's been that long. People liked their announcers, especially Billy Packer, Bones McKinney (ex-coach of Wake), and Rick "Doc" Walker (of the Redskins) doing color commentary on the broadcasts. Watching them was like eating "comfort food".

Since I am old fashioned and pay for FiOS there are always spillover games on the ESPN Extra channels. Don't see what that won't change.
Tried that option ... paid for the ESPN/Extra package two seasons ago, and two out of the four games were blacked out. I navigated the deliberately-complicated phone tree, insisted on speaking with a human being, and was rewarded for the effort (and expense) with: "sorry can't help you". It's possible that the black-outs stem from an FCC rule and aren't even Charter's fault. Still, they should have an intelligent explanation or, better yet, not take my money for something they can't deliver. Instead, it's the old corporate shell game: High cost and sketchy service. Because they're a poorly-regulated monopoly, they can get away with gouging me $180/mo. for 500+ channels when I watch about 10 (mostly nerdy). It's unsustainable - so like many I'm currently surveying the options with a decision coming after the ACCNW launch. T-M recommended YouTubeTV. So that's one choice. Sling doesn't have HD. FIOS isn't available here because CHarter has fought to eliminate competition. I'd like to avoid constructing an elaborate antenna system with revolving air defense radar. You know the regulatory structure of a market is completely broken when you have to become a ham-radio operator/signals intercept expert like T-Mark and RandomGuy in order to watch TV.

Last edited:
John Wildhack says the blackout problems all stem from the expired Raycom deal. reedny, I think as long as Charter signs a deal with ESPN to air ACCN, you should be in better shape to watch SU sports than you have been ever.

If not, yes, DirectTV or a streaming option like YouTube TV might be in your future.

My backup plan is Verizon FIOS. They cover my area and there is an old connection still in my basement. The tough thing will be if Charter holds off until the last minute to carry ACCN, If that happens, you know Verizon and DirectTV will get deluged with new connection requests and some might not be in place in time for the first game on ACCN.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for Verizon and DirectTV to start showing ads in ACC strongholds pointing out they have the ACCN, while Charter does not.

Competition is a beautiful thing.

Regarding Bayside44 talking about ACC games, specifically basketball games, spilling over on to ESPN3 (ACC Network Extra), yes, that will happen. There are too many ACC events ESPN will cover to have them all on linear ESPN channels. I think the difference is when this happens, the extra events will only be available via an ESPN subscription, from a cable company or a streaming option like YTTV.

Tried that option ... paid for the ESPN/Extra package two seasons ago. And two out of the four games were blacked out. I called and, per usual, was funneled through a deliberately-complicated phone tree. When I finally got a human being, "sorry can't help you" was the response from a schlub that had no idea what was going on. It's the same old corporate shell game with Charter.: Constant billing and sketchy service. They're a monopoly that isn't properly regulated, so they get away with gouging me $180/mo. for 500+ channels when I watch about 10 (mostly nerdy). It's unsustainable - so like many I'm currently surveying the options with a decision coming after the ACCNW launch. T-M recommended YouTubeTV. So that's one choice. Sling doesn't have HD. FIOS isn't available here because CHarter has fought to eliminate competition. I'd like to avoid constructing an elaborate antenna system with revolving air defense radar. You know the regulatory structure of a market is completely broken when you have to become a ham-radio operator/signals intercept expert like T-Mark and RandomGuy in order to watch TV.

Honestly I haven't missed in a game in ages if ever with FiOS. In some cases I wish I did!

^^^This. I can tell you from personal experience that Raycom and its predecessor (Sail with the Pilot!) have been broadcasting ACC b-ball games for 50 years. I'm positive it began well before I entered school. When the Supreme Court took the football broadcasting rights away from the NCAA (Regents of Oklahoma v. NCAA), Raycom started doing football as well. It's been that long. People liked their announcers, especially Billy Packer, Bones McKinney (ex-coach of Wake), and Rick "Doc" Walker (of the Redskins) doing color commentary on the broadcasts. Watching them was like eating "comfort food".
As much as you loved them...we hated them up North. I remember watching these guys cover Syracuse and they didn't do their homework and showed no neutrality during the broadcasts.

As much as you loved them...we hated them up North. I remember watching these guys cover Syracuse and they didn't do their homework and showed no neutrality during the broadcasts.

I won't miss them. Agree about their homework but as far as no neutrality - we're not exactly an unbiased audience to judge that point. :)

Tried that option ... paid for the ESPN/Extra package two seasons ago. And two out of the four games were blacked out. I called and, per usual, was funneled through a deliberately-complicated phone tree. When I finally got a human being, "sorry can't help you" was the response from a schlub that had no idea what was going on. It's the same old corporate shell game with Charter.: Constant billing and sketchy service. They're a monopoly that isn't properly regulated, so they get away with gouging me $180/mo. for 500+ channels when I watch about 10 (mostly nerdy). It's unsustainable - so like many I'm currently surveying the options with a decision coming after the ACCNW launch. T-M recommended YouTubeTV. So that's one choice. Sling doesn't have HD. FIOS isn't available here because CHarter has fought to eliminate competition. I'd like to avoid constructing an elaborate antenna system with revolving air defense radar. You know the regulatory structure of a market is completely broken when you have to become a ham-radio operator/signals intercept expert like T-Mark and RandomGuy in order to watch TV.

If you go YouTubeTV the good news is bye-bye to your TV placement being hamstrung to where the coaxial connections are located. In good weather you can even bring a TV out to the porch/gazebo, etc...and watch a game if you are close enough to your WiFi. I supplement with Amazon Prime (watching Bosch Season 5 right now) and some might like a Hulu or NetFlix, HBO add ons.

Some folks might be better with sticking to cable but my viewing habits are easily covered with YTTV and Amazon Prime. Additionally, there are free TV aggregates providers like Pluto to add in.

Finally, when you finally get off your butt and buy a nice camp up by Mike and me that your North Country girl deserves...you can sign into your Youtube TV account up there (if you have internet).

How sad. I am fascinated with the reverence many ACC fans have for Raycom.

A lot of people really liked them and were genuinely sad when their days doing broadcasts of ACC games ended.

Of course, some others hated them and hated the last deal the ACC did with them, which cost all ACC schools many millions of dollars by delaying the start of the ACCN.

I can only assume many ACC fans have no idea what a good broadcast of a football or basketball game should look like. Really hoping Raycom's role in the ACCN is limited. Tasks they are well qualified for, like converting old VHS tapes to digital format, entering descriptions for old broadcasts into a searchable database,, sweeping the floor, etc.
They don't. All of this is owed to a certain VP at Raycom who happens to be the son of ACC Commissioner John Swofford. Raycom has always been a trash broadcast.

If you go YouTubeTV the good news is bye-bye to your TV placement being hamstrung to where the coaxial connections are located. In good weather you can even bring a TV out to the porch/gazebo, etc...and watch a game if you are close enough to your WiFi. I supplement with Amazon Prime (watching Bosch Season 5 right now) and some might like a Hulu or NetFlix, HBO add ons.

Some folks might be better with sticking to cable but my viewing habits are easily covered with YTTV and Amazon Prime. Additionally, there are free TV aggregates providers like Pluto to add in.

Finally, when you finally get off your butt and buy a nice camp up by Mike and me that your North Country girl deserves...you can sign into your Youtube TV account up there (if you have internet).
Does Youtube TV have local stations? I have Sling and use a HD Antenna for ABC, CBS, NBC, etc... Works pretty well.

Does Youtube TV have local stations? I have Sling and use a HD Antenna for ABC, CBS, NBC, etc... Works pretty well.
Yes for about the top 100 markets. Be advised it is usually just the Top 6 channels or so. They don't carry subchannels but they usually carry CW, UPN, etc...along with the Big 4.

Agree. When I was going to grad school at Duke, Raycom was great for ACC games. People there just weren't all that interested in the non-ACC games broadcast nationally.

Agree. When I was going to grad school at Duke, Raycom was great for ACC games. People there just weren't all that interested in the non-ACC games broadcast nationally.
Interesting. I can only conclude that in the old days, the production values, announcers, camera work , graphics and direction were vastly better than the amateur level broadcasts Raycom has attempted since Syracuse joined the conference.

I never knew how good we had it in the Northeast until I was subjected to that rotting garbage.

Must be the presence of so many well trained professionals from Newhouse that spoiled me. It is clear most of the on air 'talent' on the ACC is going to be of suspect quality. I pray that at least the directors know what they are doing.

At least we know the broadcasts out of Syracuse will be of good quality.

Interesting. I can only conclude that in the old days, the production values, announcers, camera work , graphics and direction were vastly better than the amateur level broadcasts Raycom has attempted since Syracuse joined the conference.

I never knew how good we had it in the Northeast until I was subjected to that rotting garbage.

Must be the presence of so many well trained professionals from Newhouse that spoiled me. It is clear most of the on air 'talent' on the ACC is going to be of suspect quality. I pray that at least the directors know what they are doing.

At least we know the broadcasts out of Syracuse will be of good quality.
Gonna be interesting where the young Eagle will land.

Antenna amplifier. They don't increase what you can receive. Coax has inherent loss, so you calculate the loss in the coax, and use that size amplifier. It's not like a stereo. Bigger is not better.(it will add noise to the signal and ruin it) There are online calculators. I had 50ft coax, 1 splitter? Can't remember, but 13 db loss. So 13 db amp. It doesn't give more channels, just keeps you from losing them..because of the coax.

8 bay bow tie antennas work quite well. The little ones that look like Ray guns are a joke, unless you are within 25 miles. Don't believe their 150 mile advertising. Maybe on the moon, in a vacuum, not in reality. Size here matters.

It's not worth my time messing with all that.

Cell phone coverage in the house sucks too.

I am near a fast moving creek and the bedrock below the house it full of magnetite.

Anyone know what the time slot allotment for football will be? Anything that minimizes the number of nooners is a big plus in my book!

Anyone know what the time slot allotment for football will be? Anything that minimizes the number of nooners is a big plus in my book!
The ACCN is expected to air 3 games most Saturdays. Noon, 3:30 and 7 PM. That is what the SEC typically does.

Most of these games would have aired at noon in previous years. We should see less nooners from this point forward.

If you go YouTubeTV the good news is bye-bye to your TV placement being hamstrung to where the coaxial connections are located.
The same is true for DirecTV. We typically have 3 TVs out on the deck on Saturdays, using DirecTV's wireless boxes and/or an AppleTV. If 4 are needed then we'll hook up a small antenna and might luck out or get out a Firestick.

They are expected to broadcast about 40 games. Still have to guess stinkers at noon, and either the biggest game, or ACC vs. ACC late..

When we get into conference play, I'd like to think those will be pushed to the later spots.

The ACCN is expected to air 3 games most Saturdays. Noon, 3:30 and 7 PM. That is what the SEC typically does.

Most of these games would have aired at noon in previous years. We should see less nooners from this point forward.
Makes total sense considering there was typically a noon double-header (split between the "ACC Network" over-the-air affiliates, and the RSNs) along with a later game either at 3:30 or 7 on the RSNs or ESPNU.
There will still be plenty of nooners to go around for the conference though -- between at least one on ACCN, plus the plethora of noon slots across the ESPN/ABC world.

Do we have a sense as to the type/level of coverage the "other" sports will get from the ACCN?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.