ACC Network Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That has to be a major recruiting positive.
Should be great for the non revenue sports. Great to see them get more exposure.
Have to think winning is still key for the revenue sports, but recruits will be happy family and friends have more opportunity to support their team.(even if it's only 2 or 3 football games, at this point).

That has to be a major recruiting positive.
Yes, starting next year,every varsity sport event a Syracuse team plays in Syracuse will be televised. Every one.

Syracuse will be the only school in the country that can say this. And since the games are being directed by the best crew in the business, and the on air talent is from Newhouse, the best on air talent in the country, the quality of the broadcasts and the depth of coverage (i.e. pregame shows, halftime shows, recap shows) will far exceed what any other school in the ACC, or the rest of the nation can or will do.

Parents of SU Olympic sport athletes are going to really appreciate this commitment SU is making to their sports.

And, foreign players for sports like soccer and volleyball parents can watch overseas.

Yes, starting next year,every varsity sport event a Syracuse team plays in Syracuse will be televised. Every one.

Syracuse will be the only school in the country that can say this. And since the games are being directed by the best crew in the business, and the on air talent is from Newhouse, the best on air talent in the country, the quality of the broadcasts and the depth of coverage (i.e. pregame shows, halftime shows, recap shows) will far exceed what any other school in the ACC, or the rest of the nation can or will do.

Parents of SU Olympic sport athletes are going to really appreciate this commitment SU is making to their sports.
Now if only we had somebody in the Athletic Department who had experience at the highest levels of sports network production.

Why is that?

If there's one thing the ACC Network won't have to worry about is finding filler to broadcast between live football and basketball games. Insomnia at 3 AM? Don't worry, there'll be a replay of a field hockey game to watch that was broadcast live earlier in the week.

What are you asking gbo, why parents would want to watch their kids play or something else?
I'm guessing he is asking why SU is the only school that will have every varsity sport game televised.

Reactions: gbo
What are you asking gbo, why parents would want to watch their kids play or something else?
Haha my fault. No I'm asking why Cuse is the only school that will televise every event.

I'm guessing he is asking why SU is the only school that will have every varsity sport game televised.

Syracuse has the number one school of journalism in the country.

They have hundreds of the best young TV students in the country who are looking for heads on experience on or off the air covering sports. The competition for the play by play and color slots for SU basketball (men and women), SU football and SU lacrosse has historically been brutal. A lot of really talented kids haven't gotten a great chance to get on air experience and a resume of games they covered because there wasn't enough opportunity.

The old Time Warner had a good local sports department that regularly covered HS sports, and some SU sports. That helped a little.

But the ACCN will open opportunities for many Newhouse students to cover SU sports that were not possible in the past. Again, both on the air on behind the scenes, from graphics operators, to directors, producers, camera people, to studio hosts, producers of behind the scenes documentaries, etc.

When Syracuse covers a game, there will be a pregame show, a halftime show and a post game wrap-up. No other ACC does this. Syracuse requested permission and got it because ESPN knows it will be done right.

SU also has the best staff managing things, mentoring the students, training and growing them. SU AD John Wildhack basically ran ESPN and grew it into the monster it has become and his connections have positioned Syracuse well in this area. He got the best people available to ensure Syracuse is going to kill it in this area.

Short anwswer:

Clemson has the best football program in the country. Syracuse has the best TV journalism program in the country. It makes things possible other schools can only dream of.

I currently subscribe to DirecTV NOW for my streaming service in Syracuse. I know the satellite part of DirecTV is signed up for the ACCN, but is there any indication that their streaming service will add it too? Or is it just YouTube TV for right now?

I currently subscribe to DirecTV NOW for my streaming service in Syracuse. I know the satellite part of DirecTV is signed up for the ACCN, but is there any indication that their streaming service will add it too? Or is it just YouTube TV for right now?
YouTubeTV has not yet been announced as carrying ACCN.

The only streaming services announced to date are Hulu and Playstation Vue.

I think if your streaming service currently offers SECN and you can get ACC Network Extra content on it, you should feel good about also getting ACCN. If not, I would be concerned.

They have hundreds of the best young TV students in the country who are looking for heads on experience on or off the air covering sports. The competition for the play by play and color slots for SU basketball (men and women), SU football and SU lacrosse has historically been brutal. A lot of really talented kids haven't gotten a great chance to get on air experience and a resume of games they covered because there wasn't enough opportunity.

The old Time Warner had a good local sports department that regularly covered HS sports, and some SU sports. That helped a little.

But the ACCN will open opportunities for many Newhouse students to cover SU sports that were not possible in the past. Again, both on the air on behind the scenes, from graphics operators, to directors, producers, camera people, to studio hosts, producers of behind the scenes documentaries, etc.

When Syracuse covers a game, there will be a pregame show, a halftime show and a post game wrap-up. No other ACC does this. Syracuse requested permission and got it because ESPN knows it will be done right.

SU also has the best staff managing things, mentoring the students, training and growing them. SU AD John Wildhack basically ran ESPN and grew it into the monster it has become and his connections have positioned Syracuse well in this area. He got the best people available to ensure Syracuse is going to kill it in this area.

Short anwswer:

Clemson has the best football program in the country. Syracuse has the best TV journalism program in the country. It makes things possible other schools can only dream of.
Also - we have a dome and you don't neener neener.

YouTubeTV has not yet been announced as carrying ACCN.

The only streaming services announced to date are Hulu and Playstation Vue.

I think if your streaming service currently offers SECN and you can get ACC Network Extra content on it, you should feel good about also getting ACCN. If not, I would be concerned.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’m on a grandfathered plan with DirecTV NOW, so I get the BTN, SECN, among others. And the ACC Network Extra stuff too. So hopefully I’ll be good with this.

Short anwswer:

So...ACCN, TobaccoRoadN, SyracuseN?

So...ACCN, TobaccoRoadN, SyracuseN?
Looks like the on air talent will be dominated by southerners. I would guess there will be a couple Newhouse people joining them, and a lot of Newhouse people making ACCN work behind the scenes, just like at ESPN.

Clemson serves as a measuring stick and an inspiration to other ACC schools in football. I think everyone is chasing the Tigers and that quest makes the rest of the conference better.

I hope that Syracuse will fill a similar role in that way they handle telecasts of the sporting events held at SU. I expect Clemson and others in the conference will do their best to catch up to Syracuse and down the road, this competition will result in making the ACCN better across the board.

I wonder if Wes Durham will get to do any games, or if he's now only doing the daily Packer and Durham show.

I met Wes the day before the coaches golf tournament at Lake Oconee. He and his wife were very friendly and didn't mind me popping in on them. This is the location where Boeheim & Shafer participated one year. Wes still does the Atlanta Falcons radio play by play and used to be the Georgia Tech radio announcer, while his father used to be the voice of the Tar Heels.

Short anwswer:

The ACCNX had the Newhouse students covering and producing those sports this year and had pregame, halftime and postgame commentary.

The ACCNX had the Newhouse students covering and producing those sports this year and had pregame, halftime and postgame commentary.
And was the only school in the nation doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.