ACC Network Thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article on the status of the negotiations between Disney and Charter, one of the biggest cable systems out there. The window for extending their agreement expired on Friday but both sides have agreed to keep talking.

One of the sticking points is apparently the price ESPN is asking for ACCN subscriptions. Sounds like the ACC might do better than expected here. There are increasing rumors a deal with Charter is near.

If so, the #1, 3, 5 and 7th largest providers will be on board.

RankMSO nameBrandTotal subscribersTechnology
1AT&TAT&T Now, DirecTV, and AT&T U-verse22,360,000[2]Fiber/VDSL/IPTV/Satellite
2ComcastXfinity20,850,000[3]Cable/Fiber/IPTV
3Charter CommunicationsSpectrum15,950,000[3]Cable/Fiber/IPTV
4Dish NetworkDish and Sling TV12,060,000 [3]Satellite/Fiber/IPTV
5VerizonFios4,400,000[3]Fiber
6Cox CommunicationsContour4,132,000[3]Cable/Fiber/IPTV
7Altice USAOptimum, Suddenlink, Altice Business[3]3,300,000[3]Cable/Fiber

Adding Charter will get the ACCN up to about 60% of the subscribers in the Big Seven.

I think DISH will be next after Charter. DIIRECTTV (AT&T), DISH Are losing far more subscribers than the other big providers, probably because they don’t offer fast access to the Internet. Cord cutters can and often are retained as customers with the other providers.

DISH can’t afford to have another reason to lose subscribers, especially when DIRECTTV has already signed up.

Adding DISH would get subscriptions up to about 70% of the Big Seven, around 55 million. Add in the streaming services already on board, and hopefully YOUTUBE and things look really good. Really good.

Last edited:
Any word regarding Comcast? Are they even at the table yet? Also assuming Comcast doesn’t pick up ACCN to start, what viewing options exist?

in asked if they knew cable tier yet and they said not yet

Any word regarding Comcast? Are they even at the table yet? Also assuming Comcast doesn’t pick up ACCN to start, what viewing options exist?
This article says the existing agreements Dish, Comcast and Cox has with Disney do not expire for a couple of years. It may well be that they don’t add the network until after the season starts, or even years from now.

The contract expiration date and the coverage map for the carrier have to be the two biggest factors driving when (or if) the ACCN will be added.

As a satellite based provider, Dish has a national footprint and there is no coverage map for its customers available. Its biggest competitor, Direct TV, is already on board with ACCN. Dish and Direct TV have been the two carriers most affected by cord cutting (they don’t offer high speed Internet services). They have been losing subscribers far more than the copper or fiber distribution based carriers and the trend towards cord cutting kills them. Things are not good for them right now.

So the company is hurting and their top competitor is on board with ACCN. Even though this contract is not expiring soon, they have to be feeling pressure from their sales folks to add the channel and not provide another reason for their customers to go elsewhere. I think they add ACCN but not until just before it goes on line, or a few weeks afterwards.

It should be noted that Dish owns Sling. I am going to assume this is not good news for Sling customers hoping to get the ACCN from day one. But again, it is hard for me to see them shunning the ACCN. Dish has a good relationship with Disney and ESPN and they are fighting for their lives right now.

Comcast does have a coverage map. They have a wide distribution over many states. While I would not say Comcast is a core provider in most ACC territories, it has a presence in many ACC territories, like Pennsylvania, Massachusetts Maryland, Virginia, Georgia and Florida. They are very strong in Illinois and they are a company where Notre Dame fans may play a big role in getting this deal done.

Comcast has a good relationship with Disney. They just entered an agreement with Disney regarding control over Hulu, selling their stake to Disney (this is why Hulu got on board with the ACCN so early).

I think they are in the same boat as Dish. I expect an agreement by the end of September but it might not happen from day one.

The coverage map for Cox is not a great one for the ACC. They don’t have a great presence along the Eastern seaboard and while i don’t see a bad realationship between them and Disney, I don’t see a strong one either. If I had to guess who will be the last big carrier to get on board with the ACCN, it would be Cox.

Cox Internet: Coverage & Availability Map | BroadbandNow.com

Last edited:
This article says the existing agreements Dish, Comcast and Cox has with Disney do not expire for a couple of years. It may well be that they don’t add the network until after the season starts, or even years from now.

The contract expiration date and the coverage map for the carrier have to be the two biggest factors driving when (or if) the ACCN will be added.

As a satellite based provider, Dish has a national footprint and there is no coverage map for its customers available. Its biggest competitor, Direct TV, is already on board with ACCN. Dish and Direct TV have been the two carriers most affected by cord cutting (they don’t offer high speed Internet services). They have been losing subscribers far more than the copper or fiber distribution based carriers and the trend towards cord cutting kills them. Things are not good for them right now.

So the company is hurting and their top competitor is on board with ACCN. Even though this contract is not expiring soon, they have to be feeling pressure from their sales folks to add the channel and not provide another reason for their customers to go elsewhere. I think they add ACCN but not until just before it goes on line, or a few weeks afterwards.

It should be noted that Dish owns Sling. I am going to assume this is not good news for Sling customers hoping to get the ACCN from day one. But again, it is hard for me to see them shunning the ACCN. Dish has a good relationship with Disney and ESPN and they are fighting for their lives right now.

Comcast does have a coverage map. They have a wide distribution over many states. While I would not say Comcast is a core provider in most ACC territories, it has a presence in many ACC territories, like Pennsylvania, Massachusetts Maryland, Virginia, Georgia and Florida. They are very strong in Illinois and they are a company where Notre Dame fans may play a big role in getting this deal done.

Comcast has a good relationship with Disney. They just entered an agreement with Disney regarding control over Hulu, selling their stake to Disney (this is why Hulu got on board with the ACCN so early).

I think they are in the same boat as Dish. I expect an agreement by the end of September but it might not happen from day one.

The coverage map for Cox is not a great one for the ACC. They don’t have a great presence along the Eastern seaboard and while i don’t see a bad realationship between them and Disney, I don’t see a strong one either. If I had to guess who will be the last big carrier to get on board with the ACCN, it would be Cox.

Thank you for the detailed response. Here’s hoping Comcast gets on board quickly

Dish and Direct TV have been the two carriers most affected by cord cutting (they don’t offer high speed Internet services). They have been losing subscribers far more than the copper or fiber distribution based carriers and the trend towards cord cutting kills them. Things are not good for them right now.

Two items...
  1. DirecTV is now owned by AT&T which offers Internet service just about everywhere in the country. You get bundled packages that include Internet.

We migrated fromAT&T's U-Verse to DirecTV when AT&T refused to renew our U-Verse discounts (they clearly want to move from U-Verse to DirecTV & DirecTV Now). The big draw for us with U-Verse and DirecTV is wireless STBs. We typically watch 3-4 college football games on our deck. This year's Clemson game will be one of those as the wife's Gators and the Atlanta United play at the same time. Don't worry, I have already claimed audio for night. :)
    Streaming apps on AppleTV and other devices (Firestick, Roku) may open things up when we next re-evaluate things.

2. One thing that has hurt Cox are government restrictions. Cox is based in Atlanta.. in the middle of SEC & ACC country. They also own television stations and newspapers. Due to that they were not allowed to get into the cable business close to home. Word on the street is that they may now be selling their Atlanta based TV stations. Perhaps they can try to buy into the local market.

Are there any rumblings about DirecTV NOW adding the ACCN? I figured they’d be in, since DirecTV was one of the early commits. But radio silence from the cord cutting streaming platform that bears the same name. We get a deal on DirecTV NOW through my wife’s cell plan with AT&T, and are grandfathered into one of their earlier packages with more channel options. So I really don’t want to switch providers if I don’t need to.

locally New Visions is on board. except for the fact they are so far behind the install band wagon most people in their footprint cant get a signal. We are over a yr behind the install window we were promised.

Will there be a stand alone app?

So looks like as a Cox area, we will be left out. I guess I will have to pay for a YouTube subscription or find some other streaming method...my son will hook me up with something. Or some nice person will give me their remote sign in password...Nice person?

Here's a list of their channels and the cost per month...

YouTube TV - Watch & DVR Live Sports, Shows & News
So $50 a month for YES, the Smithsonian Channel/Nat Geo (there’s no way they’re both good), the ACCN, Cartoon Network, and the BBC?

(I won’t actually pirate, but I’m also not paying $50’s a month for 5 channels +/- the occasional Vandy game on the SECN.)

Attachments

• 3C25A947-C268-45EB-8F29-797C24A3BF89.jpeg
    3C25A947-C268-45EB-8F29-797C24A3BF89.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
So $50 a month for YES, the Smithsonian Channel/Nat Geo (there’s no way they’re both good), the ACCN, Cartoon Network, and the BBC?

(I won’t actually pirate, but I’m also not paying $50’s a month for 5 channels +/- the occasional Vandy game on the SECN.)
To the adults out there: They are offering a free two week trial.

NZM fortunately has his Mom's sign-in. :p

5 channels? There are way more than 5. Its way cheaper than spectrum and Fios. Not sure what you have.

Ummm... more like 70+ Channels including locals, and all the ones you’d want for news and sports. It’s a replacement for cable not an add on. Geez.

I will fly the YouTubeTv banner proudly. If you like sports and hate being tied to traditional cable companies it is the best thing out there. The only thing it doesn't have is the NFL Network. I'm not a huge NFL person, so I can live with the games just on the major networks. It has Big Ten Network, MLB Network, YES, SNY,
4 ESPN channels, Olympic sports channels, CBSSports, TBS. Just awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.