ACC Network Thread | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been good so far.

I have had a few glitches. I've lost a feed before. Had to reconnect. Sometimes the picture starts fuzzy then improves over a minute or two. Switching between channels is a slower process over cable.

My account is out of Florida. I actually was able to watch about 6 weeks of Tampa Bay Rays games in NY. Finally, I got a "you need to resign in back in Florida to watch live Rays games". I haven't yet but I still get local Tampa TV channels and local FL RSNs (other than Rays and Marlins games).

So if you live in Syracuse...you should theoretically head to Florida for the winter and watch Wayne Mahar tell you about the snow you are missing and get SU highlights from Niko.

YoutubeTV is really, really good for college sports.

Downside...no NFL Network if that is a thing to you.
If you use their mobile app and have access to a VPN then your questionable Rays fetish may be resolved. ;)

I’m glad there’s nothing that I immediately want to view. That being said, I’m going to keep calling until they figure their shlit out and can give me a definitive answer.

And now this has been reported. Might effect a few Spectrum customers on this board

Nearly one-fifth of Spectrum cable customers won’t get ACC Network for free
I was one of those affected. I'm on Spectrum in the Syracuse suburbs. After an hour or so on the phone with Spectrum, I upgraded from my old legacy TW plan to the Spectrum silver package, adding the ACC Network, keeping almost everything I had and knocking $20 off my bill.

BTW, the Golf Channel is included in the silver package. It looks like I will lose ESPN Classic, NFL Red Zone, Big Ten, PAC 12, the NHL network and the Fox regional sports channels from my old legacy TW sports package (but Fox Sports 1 and 2 are included in the silver package).

Last edited:
First of all, the ACC and ESPN really dropped the ball on the launch of the new channel. There just is not enough information out there as to who can and cannot get the network. I spent time on the interwebs and the DirecTV website trying to figure out what programming tier the channel would be on without any luck.

Finally, I called DirecTV and a nice Indian lady named Maureen spent a half-hour trying to figure out why I was not getting the channel. Finally, she did what I asked when I initially spoke to her and looked at the programming tiers. At that point, she let me know that since I was not in a state which had an ACC school, I would have to upgrade to the sports tier to get the network.

This is disappointing on many levels. One, I am annoyed I have to contribute the funds of the $EC and U of Texas because I am not required to buy the sports tier from them. Second, this means less subscribers are paying for the network, so less money for SU.

Now here is (potentially) the real kick in the shorts. Last year, I was able to stream most of the SU games on ESPN+. I am concerned I will not be able to do so this year if a game is on the ACCN.

South Florida.
Just drove from my West Palm Beach Office (good for ACCN on DirectTV) to our Miami Office (does not get ACCN on DirectTV). One was good for the network, the other did not get it. That’s strange.

Note, I did not make the drive just to test ACCN on DirectTV. That’d be a little too “intense.”

First of all, the ACC and ESPN really dropped the ball on the launch of the new channel. There just is not enough information out there as to who can and cannot get the network. I spent time on the interwebs and the DirecTV website trying to figure out what programming tier the channel would be on without any luck.

Finally, I called DirecTV and a nice Indian lady named Maureen spent a half-hour trying to figure out why I was not getting the channel. Finally, she did what I asked when I initially spoke to her and looked at the programming tiers. At that point, she let me know that since I was not in a state which had an ACC school, I would have to upgrade to the sports tier to get the network.

This is disappointing on many levels. One, I am annoyed I have to contribute the funds of the $EC and U of Texas because I am not required to buy the sports tier from them. Second, this means less subscribers are paying for the network, so less money for SU.

Now here is (potentially) the real kick in the shorts. Last year, I was able to stream most of the SU games on ESPN+. I am concerned I will not be able to do so this year if a game is on the ACCN.

If this is the final result, I have a tough decision to make. I wonder how much adding the regional sports package would be? I’d hate to add an entire package for one channel that will occasionally have programming on that interests me.

If this is the final result, I have a tough decision to make. I wonder how much adding the regional sports package would be? I’d hate to add an entire package for one channel that will occasionally have programming on that interests me.
If it makes you feel any better, I had to add an entire additional cable provider.

I had to add YouTube TV in addition to Comcast sucks b/c my wife won’t drop Comcast and I won’t miss Cuse broadcasts

So here we are, for now

EDIT: and after 2 days, I can say that the YouTube TV (via 4K Apple TV on a 4K capable Samsung) picture is much better than the comcast picture fwiw. (I am not even hard wired in as WiFi seems to be working fine)

Last edited:
Still no ACC Network on my DirecTV. Called again this morning. The gentleman I spoke to didn’t seem to know. He implied that they seem to be flying by the seat of their pants. It looks like there might be three options; 1) It’ll come on at some point 2) I won’t get it because I don’t live in the correct zip code 3) It’ll not be in my package but instead, a regional sports package.
Got the same answers in TX. Regional. Sucks.

I wonder if that Disney/Hulu/ESPN package will have it? Goes live Nov. 12 and it’s only $12.99 a month.

I wonder if that Disney/Hulu/ESPN package will have it? Goes live Nov. 12 and it’s only $12.99 a month.
I would be surprised if it did for that price, BUT if it does it's a game changer for sure.

I got a reply on the AT&T forum that confirmed what you heard.

Which package has ACCN?
  • Available with CHOICE and above packages in the following states: Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia.
  • Other areas: Available with SPORTS PACK.
I called DirecTV and the guy I spoke too was less than helpful. He was able to confirm that this was correct. He said it would be $13.95 a month for the Sports Pack. Nowhere leading up to last night’s launch did DirecTV say anything about having to add an additional package. Not only that, last night one of their reps said my programming level would have it. I’m livid right now. This has been handled so poorly.

Which package has ACCN?
  • Available with CHOICE and above packages in the following states: Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia.
I called DirecTV and the guy I spoke too was less than helpful. He was able to confirm that this was correct. He said it would be $13.95 a month for the Sports Pack. Nowhere leading up to last night’s launch did DirecTV say anything about having to add an additional package. Not only that, last night one of their reps said my programming level would have it. I’m livid right now. This has been handled so poorly.
I am lucky I don’t have to pay extra but it’s a joke for people outside of ACC states to have to pay extra for ACCN but are stuck with SECN or BTN.

I don’t want either of those channels and I get them without extra pay.

I have friends that LOVE the Golf Channel. I tried watching it once and almost started screaming of boredom.
I am lucky I don’t have to pay extra but it’s a joke for people outside of ACC states to have to pay extra for ACCN but are stuck with SECN or BTN.

sec network being basically national for everyone is a given with alabama in football and kentucky in basketball. acc bigten and pac 12 should all be in same tier

At least the people in Indiana and Kentucky don’t have to pay extra. :mad:

Ok so here's the trick if you're not in an ACC state on DirecTV. YMMV but this is likely to work.

Call DirecTV and immediately tell the computer operator that you want to cancel your service. Do not ask to speak to a CSR, you need to get sent to the cancellation Dept, they are the ones that have the real deals to offer to try to retain you ( even though you don't actually plan on cancelling). Tell them you want to cancel and you're paying too much for your current bill and plan to cut the cord. You'll likely get a credit on your current plan and you'll need to ask for any deals on the sports pack - I got my sportspack free for the next 6 months for instance.

I play the game every time my bill goes up and it never fails. I'm paying $55 after taxes for choice, 3 TV's, HBO, and sportspack.

Ok so here's the trick if you're not in an ACC state on DirecTV. YMMV but this is likely to work.

Call DirecTV and immediately tell the computer operator that you want to cancel your service. Do not ask to speak to a CSR, you need to get sent to the cancellation Dept, they are the ones that have the real deals to offer to try to retain you ( even though you don't actually plan on cancelling). Tell them you want to cancel and you're paying too much for your current bill and plan to cut the cord. You'll likely get a credit on your current plan and you'll need to ask for any deals on the sports pack - I got my sportspack free for the next 6 months for instance.

I play the game every time my bill goes up and it never fails. I'm paying $55 after taxes for choice, 3 TV's, HBO, and sportspack.
Had a similar experience here in California. Was really ticked that ACCN was in Sports Pack for $13.95. Since I am all-in with ATT...Directv, land line, cell phones, Internet...I asked for Loyalty Department...they cut my bill $50/mo, gave me Sports Pack free for 6 months and even offered my free NFL.

my directv Rcrvs all see the new ACC channel. my direct DVRs do not. no a big deal yet so maybe some software has not rolled out yet

Which package has ACCN?
New Jersey not on that list is frustrating due to the fact that I’m sure a lot of Syracuse fans/alum live right outside NYC, but have a NJ addy.

I get that they have it based on ACC states, but this comes across as a technicality that screws a decent amount of ACC fans in a huge population center of NJ, specifically Northern NJ.

sec network being basically national for everyone is a given with alabama in football and kentucky in basketball. acc bigten and pac 12 should all be in same tier
Alabama football doesn’t play games on the SECN.
CBS picks 6 of their games every year which is the max from their SEC contract.
Then the season opener is always on ABC/ESPN.
The other 4 games are on ESPN primetime. The cupcake that Alabama plays before Auburn is the only game on SECN. That game isn’t why SECN is national.

The SECN shouldn’t be national and the ACCN isn’t on DirecTV.
Treat them the same.

Last edited:
the reality is its a numbers game.. people want to cut the cord and get more channels for free.. cant get everything both ways.. youtube and others are taking a short term hit in costs so they can bump up costs later when cable companies lose even more subscribers..

eventually we will have all streamers for the same cost and half the channels we had before and ISP will be charging more than cable and people will realize that $100 cable bills arent as bad as $200 internet and $150 youtube..

Status
Not open for further replies.