ACC Network | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Network

I tried watching the game on ESPN3 on my computer, but it kept periodically freezing...driving me nuts. I gave up and went downstairs to watch on my Roku and had no problems...other than the "film" effect that was mentioned earlier.

I've never had a problem with ESPN3 feeds. Any problems are with your internet provider speed. You can do a free ping test to get your actual speed.

6 games on the ACC Network Extra:

Colgate
Holy Cross
Monmouth
South Carolina St
South Carolina
North Florida.

Every conference game is on either ESPN or CBS or one of the RSN's (either MSG or YES) or the ACC Network (probably WHAM in Rochester).

You do realize that "ACC Network Extra" and "ACC Network" are two different things.

More than 6 according to this...

2016-17 SU Men's Basketball Schedule

I would guess that the SU Athletics TV schedule is more accurate..I hope.

For Directv, ESPN College Extra really helps eliminate the blackout confusion, especially if you are recording games. But that doesn't kick in until conference season, more or less.

The TV situation is really ridiculous. Anyone excited about the upcoming ACC Network (the real channel, not the current think passing itself off as a "network") better be ready for a HUGE letdown. Think about the PAC 12 Network. 4-5 years later DirecTV and other carriers don't carry it. Heck, you can't watch Dodger games if you live in LA! If you don't live smack dab in ACC territory, they will quite possibly not carry that either. Cable providers are Oligopolies at best, monopoilies at worst. There will be many people without legitimate access to televised games in a few years. It will get worse before it gets better. But, heck, we get to play Clemson & FSU in football every year.

I've never had a problem with ESPN3 feeds. Any problems are with your internet provider speed. You can do a free ping test to get your actual speed.

:bat: Is 30-50 mbps not fast enough?

Is the "film effect" not annoying to you?

Is it being 90 seconds behind real time not annoying?

We dont have to deal with that. And if I am a UConn fan in Rochester *hell even Syracuse* I dont have to deal with that. But I do if I am a Syracuse fan in Rochester. Its absurd.

I would guess that the SU Athletics TV schedule is more accurate..I hope.
It is.

I was confused by the inconsistent way the cuse.com web site labels games on that TV schedule page. I think they should use the graphics for ACC Network Extra and ACC Network like the other ACC schools do or just consistently use ACC Network Extra and ACC Network.

I changed the schedule here accordingly. Should be good now.

I think in a few years they will all be on TV. The ACC network is just getting off the ground so to speak. I have been chrome casting from my phone cause its easy and i'm lazy. The picture sometimes gets fuzzy for a 10 second or so before going back to pretty good quality.

I think in a few years they will all be on TV. The ACC network is just getting off the ground so to speak. I have been chrome casting from my phone cause its easy and i'm lazy. The picture sometimes gets fuzzy for a 10 second or so before going back to pretty good quality.

There will be an actual ACC Network in 2019.

Whether it'll be included in basic cable or on a premium sports tier has yet to be determined.

For Directv, ESPN College Extra really helps eliminate the blackout confusion, especially if you are recording games. But that doesn't kick in until conference season, more or less.

The TV situation is really ridiculous. Anyone excited about the upcoming ACC Network (the real channel, not the current think passing itself off as a "network") better be ready for a HUGE letdown. Think about the PAC 12 Network. 4-5 years later DirecTV and other carriers don't carry it. Heck, you can't watch Dodger games if you live in LA! If you don't live smack dab in ACC territory, they will quite possibly not carry that either. Cable providers are Oligopolies at best, monopoilies at worst. There will be many people without legitimate access to televised games in a few years. It will get worse before it gets better. But, heck, we get to play Clemson & FSU in football every year.

Exactly, I was trying to explain this when people were losing their minds with excitement over "stealth ninjas" or whatever was going on in those over the top ACC Network rumors threads. It's a huge step backward for fans who want to watch their team.

In the short term, it's ridiculous that the South Carolina game won't be easy to watch for a lot of us. What kind of bush-league "tournament" did we sign up for if they can't even get a real network to pay to air it?

Have watched all four SU games with Fire Stick on WatchESPN. Last night was the only time there was a minor problem of two very brief bufferings. Other than that, the picture was and has been definitely HDTV quality.

I'm in SC with a Time Warner hookup for both TV and internet. Rarely any problems of any kind.

Honestly... Im trying to be patient... i really am. I couldn't care less if the game is on SNY or Time Warner or ESPN.

I live 60 miles from Syracuse - every single game NEEDS to be on TV. Instead - the south caronlina game will be on watch espn. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I think I counted 12 games on WatchEspn this season including numerous ACC games. Last year they all would have been on Time warner. This year with the new deal - ZERO. That is insane.
read my reply to the Monmouth broadcast post. Duke and UNC get scrub games on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. Why?

I have had good success with Roku and the Amazon fire stick. High quality picture. Sound was solid. No pixelization. Though there were 2 times coming back from a commercial last night where the picture was blurry for about 20 seconds.

The announcers have been okay. TrickySU was a treat. Rosie does a reasonably good job. Production has been fine too. The ones from the South are certainly less prepared and professional.

Biggest problem for me is dealing with watching the same 2 or 3 commercials all game long.

Not Ice T, lemonade was bad the first time I saw it. It doesn't get better after seeing it 50 times.

The Time Warner ads are a little better but getting really old. Ironic that Time Warner is a major sponsor for these games and ACC Network Extra, when it effectively took them out of the business of televising SU sports.

I am using Verizon FIOS with a new wireless router for Wifi. If people are having problems with the quality of the picture, I wonder if the problem could be with the Wifi router.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings ACC Network Extra. It brought about long term stability for the ACC and ensured SU will be a major player in college athletics until at least 2036, so I am grateful for that.

I switched from TW to Verizon a year or so ago so now I have access to the games that were on TW only. Limiting distribution for some games to only TW customers in upstate NY was a bad solution for SU fans who live elsewhere and I am glad they have the ability to watch these games now.

Yes, it is easier to watch a game that is on SNY or YES or MSG than using WatchESPN but even with that kind of distribution, you still can't watch the game in many places. The thing I liked best about SNY was that they would have a pregame and post game show that would do a lot of analysis and film breakdown. Even TW would do this to some degree.

That is gone with ACC Network Extra. If this is to be a big success, this needs to change. You can't just pop up live 2 minutes before tipoff, show the game, have almost no halftime show and then end the broadcast the minute the game ends.

They have to spend some money, hire a sideline reporter to do interviews, record a couple of interviews before the game, and they really need to have a studio where they can do analysis before the game, at halftime and after the game. I hope this is in the works. If so, it will go a lot way towards making this work.

All games need to be televised to this standard. Does anyone know if this is eventually going to happen?

So that everybody (including old guys like me)understands, could you explain what these are: ACC Network Extra, ACC Network, RSN and how to get them on our family room TV. They are the "networks" listed for many of SU games. Watching on a computer or tablet or cell phone doesn't really cut it for me. I assume that everybody knows the difference between ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3/ESPNU.

So that everybody (including old guys like me)understands, could you explain what these are: ACC Network Extra, ACC Network, RSN and how to get them on our family room TV. They are the "networks" listed for many of SU games. Watching on a computer or tablet or cell phone doesn't really cut it for me. I assume that everybody knows the difference between ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3/ESPNU.

ACC Network Extra is "Internet Only". You can only watch if you have access to Watch ESPN.

RSN is a collection of "Regional Sports Networks" which carry ACC content. Here is a typical listing from earlier this year: ACC Football on RSN: Syracuse at Wake Forest | News. They usually include MSG/YES, NESN, and the Fox Regionals.

ACC Network is a collection of local TV stations which carry ACC content: ACC Football on the ACC Network: NC State at Syracuse | News

Everything but ACC Net Extra games should appear on your TV without a problem, and it's been covered earlier in the thread how you can watch Extra games on your TV with a Roku or Amazon Firestick if you have wifi and the proper TV.

I have had good success with Roku and the Amazon fire stick. High quality picture. Sound was solid. No pixelization. Though there were 2 times coming back from a commercial last night where the picture was blurry for about 20 seconds.

The announcers have been okay. TrickySU was a treat. Rosie does a reasonably good job. Production has been fine too. The ones from the South are certainly less prepared and professional.

Biggest problem for me is dealing with watching the same 2 or 3 commercials all game long.

Not Ice T, lemonade was bad the first time I saw it. It doesn't get better after seeing it 50 times.

The Time Warner ads are a little better but getting really old. Ironic that Time Warner is a major sponsor for these games and ACC Network Extra, when it effectively took them out of the business of televising SU sports.

I am using Verizon FIOS with a new wireless router for Wifi. If people are having problems with the quality of the picture, I wonder if the problem could be with the Wifi router.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings ACC Network Extra. It brought about long term stability for the ACC and ensured SU will be a major player in college athletics until at least 2036, so I am grateful for that.

I switched from TW to Verizon a year or so ago so now I have access to the games that were on TW only. Limiting distribution for some games to only TW customers in upstate NY was a bad solution for SU fans who live elsewhere and I am glad they have the ability to watch these games now.

Yes, it is easier to watch a game that is on SNY or YES or MSG than using WatchESPN but even with that kind of distribution, you still can't watch the game in many places. The thing I liked best about SNY was that they would have a pregame and post game show that would do a lot of analysis and film breakdown. Even TW would do this to some degree.

That is gone with ACC Network Extra. If this is to be a big success, this needs to change. You can't just pop up live 2 minutes before tipoff, show the game, have almost no halftime show and then end the broadcast the minute the game ends.

They have to spend some money, hire a sideline reporter to do interviews, record a couple of interviews before the game, and they really need to have a studio where they can do analysis before the game, at halftime and after the game. I hope this is in the works. If so, it will go a lot way towards making this work.

All games need to be televised to this standard. Does anyone know if this is eventually going to happen?

Nice post. Incidentally, where I live, there is a similar situation. Kansas has a deal with Time Warner Sports Channel to carry their tier 3 games. That's only carried on Time Warner and Comcast so anyone who has DirecTV, U-Verse, Verizon, Google Fiber etc is SOL.

As far as the whole deal, I've lived out of the area since 1987 and never imagined there would be a time when I could watch every SU game either on tv or the internet so I have no issues. But I also understand other people have different expectations based on their experiences and get the frustration.

I think this is one of those "your mileage may vary" situations. I love ACCNX. I have a Roku and only 25mbps and it comes in clear as a bell. Even better, as an out-of-towner I don't ever remember being able to watch so many early season games on tv before. These used to all be TW Sports games.

You do realize that...

I'm sorry, I'm sure I'm going to come off as being an ass, but why do people use this phrase? It's obvious that the OP does not realize that, otherwise he wouldn't have made his statements. In fact, I didn't even realize it. How about just stating the fact instead of talking down to people.

I think this is one of those "your mileage may vary" situations. I love ACCNX. I have a Roku and only 25mbps and it comes in clear as a bell. Even better, as an out-of-towner I don't ever remember being able to watch so many early season games on tv before. These used to all be TW Sports games.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel

:bat: Is 30-50 mbps not fast enough?

Is the "film effect" not annoying to you?

Is it being 90 seconds behind real time not annoying?

We dont have to deal with that. And if I am a UConn fan in Rochester *hell even Syracuse* I dont have to deal with that. But I do if I am a Syracuse fan in Rochester. Its absurd.
I just tested at only 12, so I don't have an answer for you. Film effect? 90 second lag is no problem as I am not listening to a simultaneous live broadcast. Repetitive commercials and lack of interviews are a minor annoyance. Visual quality is seldom an issue and I've been streaming for years.

I'm using Roku and my Samsung 60" LCD. The game tonight was indistinguishable from a regular HD broadcast.
Yes. Viewed on a Roku 4 (get one for like $120) you can't tell any difference between the online broadcast on watchespn and a TV broadcast. Actually, the picture is better. It's in 1080p. Cable and satellite broadcasts are in 1080i or 720p. As a bonus, it's hooked up to my 55 inch 4k tv. It upscales the picture to near 4k (2160p) quality, and it's noticeably sharper. No issues at all with motion blur using Roku. I've also used the Roku watchespn app hooked to a couple other tv's, and it always is perfect. I use a Roku 3 on my 40 inch samsung in the bedroom, and have also had zero issues regarding picture quality, or motion blur. Looks like a normal hd broadcast.
Watch ESPN on a roku is, for whatever reason, just better.

ACC Network Extra is "Internet Only". You can only watch if you have access to Watch ESPN.

RSN is a collection of "Regional Sports Networks" which carry ACC content. Here is a typical listing from earlier this year: ACC Football on RSN: Syracuse at Wake Forest | News. They usually include MSG/YES, NESN, and the Fox Regionals.

ACC Network is a collection of local TV stations which carry ACC content: ACC Football on the ACC Network: NC State at Syracuse | News

Everything but ACC Net Extra games should appear on your TV without a problem, and it's been covered earlier in the thread how you can watch Extra games on your TV with a Roku or Amazon Firestick if you have wifi and the proper TV.
Thanks. Technology is great except when it isn't. i.e., you only have to ... is not always the easiest.
I know and can connect my TV to my lap top, not so hard with the HDMI cable but it's such a hassle. I have to also connect the power supply as often the battery drains before the end of the game/movie I'm watching. Funny thing, when I watch the HC game on replay yesterday, I had to restart the site for what ever reason and all of a sudden I was getting "2 bars" transmission quality instead of the 4 I had before restarting. Luckily it only lasted for the first minute of the game. Thanks again for the info and understanding nice reply. So many people can get snarky when asked what could be a silly old mans questions.

Last edited:
Why is it taking so long?

espn just redid all there cable/satellite deals when the sec network launched in 2014 and most of those deals go until 2019 or 20 and espn wants to bundle all there channels into 1 negiotiation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom