ACC now only going to do eight conference games | Syracusefan.com

ACC now only going to do eight conference games

zibby

Starter
Linky

I actually think this is bad. This means playing teams in the other division even less often and means having to find another OOC game, which is getting increasingly expensive.

I'd be surprised if this didn't impact the TV contract, too.

On the contract--->Doubtful...at worse it is a wash when you add ND and they might pitch the historic rivalries that can be kept.

I think this is too appease Clemson, GTech and FSU with some long time OOC rivals

On the Basketball side we are going to get Pitt and BC as our annual Home and Home rivals...annually that leaves us room for two more Home n Home's...hopefully that means we'll see UNC and Duke more.

I like this better. You will now have 4 home and 4 away conference games.

7 team divisions, 3 H/A with two cross over games H/A.

Syracuse should be able to schedule 7 home games every single season and 8 every other year. With #8 being a H/A non conference BCS game.

This would also allow for 7 annual home games and still have a neutral site game.

Syracuse can follow buttgers scheduling strategy and have 3 or 4 patsies (if desired) a year.

I like this is better. You will now have 4 home and 4 away conference games.

Syracuse should be able to schedule 7 home games every single season and 8 every other year. With #8 being a H/A non conference BCS game.

This would also allow for 7 annual home games and/or a neutral site game.

Syracuse can follow buttgers scheduling strategy and have 3 or 4 patsies (if desired) a year.

Agreed this is great news for SU, allows us to actually get a warm up game on the schedule and have more then 5 home games.

I like this is better. You will now have 4 home and 4 away conference games.

This would also allow for 7 annual home games and/or a neutral site game.

We should play Colgate, Cornell, Buffalo and Army every year so we can definitively call ourselves NYs college team.

Agreed this is great news for SU, allows us to actually get a warm up game on the schedule and have more then 5 home games.
Yup until we get Top 15 good..we should be opening Labor Day Weekend with Colgate or a MAC school.

Ok now here is the scoop...going to 8 games does a great deal for the ACC:
1. Provides FSU, Clemson, and a few others the ability to continue rivalry games
2. Provides Notre Dame with an even better reason to fully join the ACC as it gives them 4 games OOC...USC, Navy, and two other teams a year once joined...

AND 3--this is the big according to my source...PROVIDES OPPTY TO SCHEDULE OCC WITH ANOTHER CONFERENCE...most likely SEC...and in discussion now.

Linky

I actually think this is bad. This means playing teams in the other division even less often and means having to find another OOC game, which is getting increasingly expensive.

Agree with Mark. This is about keeping Clemson, FSU and G Tech happy in the ACC. They did not want to go to a 9 game league schedule and be forced to drop annual rivalry games against South Carolina, Florida and Georgia respectively.

I think it was one of the reasons to add ND to the ACC now. Adding them for all sports and 5 games against ACC schools a year offsets any reduction the ACC would taken from ESPN for dropping to an 8 game schedule. And it makes it easier for ND to someday join the ACC for all sports.

It would allow Syracuse to set up a similar annual out of conference game against a rival, if it is so desired. Candidates include Army, Rutgers, UConn and West Virginia. Don't think Navy would do it with their plate so full with BE games and the games with Air Force and Army.

All would be interesting but for me, the natural one to schedule would be Penn State. If they would do a long term home and home, I would go for it.

Unfortunately, I don't think Penn State would go for it.

In the end, an annual home and home with Army might be the best option. With our growing relationship with the US Army Mountain Division in Fort Drum, the proximity of the schools, and the proximity of West Point to NYC, it makes sense on a number of levels.

I wonder if Army would be amenable to this?

Linky

This was not done without input from ESPN.

Hearing in Basketball the ACC is going to take the 12 highest RPIs(from the season before) to play in the ACC/Big 10 BB Challenge. I guess you can pencil in Cuse/Duke/UNC in ink till infinity.

No, this is bad. With nine conference games and then tenth game the Meadowlands game (or on the road against a Meadowlands opponent), SU only needs to find two more games: a game against an FCS school and a game against a non-AQ.

Now SU has to try to find another OOC opponent. Who do you think they're going to find? The Pac-12 and Big XII play nine conference games and the SEC is too chickenshiat to play a true road game. This is going to mean more games against the Big Least. I have zero interest in playing any of the scrubs in that garbage league.

Yup until we get Top 15 good..we should be opening Labor Day Weekend with Colgate or a MAC school.

Bingo, at this point open with Albany for all I care. Just give the team a chance to get its feet wet get a W and work out some kinks/rust. Playing other BCS teams in the first game every single year is idiotic.

No, this is bad. With nine conference games and then tenth game the Meadowlands game (or on the road against a Meadowlands opponent), SU only needs to find two more games: a game against an FCS school and a game against a non-AQ.

Now SU has to try to find another OOC opponent. Who do you think they're going to find? The Pac-12 and Big XII play nine conference games and the SEC is too chickenshiat to play a true road game. This is going to mean more games against the Big Least. I have zero interest in playing any of the scrubs in that garbage league.

Its not bad at all. 8 conference games plus 1 FCS, 1 Mid level BCS, 1 MAC/Sun Belt, 1 upper echelon Met Life game. SU can schedule that easily.

The home schedule just got worse.

We should play Colgate, Cornell, Buffalo and Army every year so we can definitively call ourselves NYs college team.

Hopefully with that schedule then we go 2-2 then annually prior to conf season as oppossed to 1-3

Each year we should play colgate,cornell, and[ army or navy home as an honor the veterans weekend.]We don't need the Met Life games anymore, being in the ACC with one tough OOC game will be more then enough.

True but thats if the Metlife agreement isnt scrapped which I think after the initial games it will be.

Each year we should play colgate,cornell, and[ army or navy home as an honor the veterans weekend.]

Navy is out due to schedule obligations and Cornell has zero interest in play Syracuse.

1 Mid level BCS

Who do you think that 1 Mid level BCS is going to be? I just told you. It's going to be a Big Least team. I'd rather play a ninth ACC team than one Big Least team.

Who do you think that 1 Mid level BCS is going to be? I just told you. It's going to be a Big Least team. I'd rather play a ninth ACC team than one Big Least team.

Really? It couldnt be NW, Minnesota, Iowa, Texas Tech, Wazzu, Baylor, Vandy, Kentucy, WVU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Iowa State etc etc etc. There are plenty of teams besides BE teams.

Good, now SU can add a Non-BCS game to get some more Ws and avoid this gauntlet in the future.

Really? It couldnt be NW, Minnesota, Iowa, Texas Tech, Wazzu, Baylor, Vandy, Kentucy, WVU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Iowa State etc etc etc. There are plenty of teams besides BE teams.

Go here and here. Educate yourself on who teams have played in the past and who they've scheduled for the future. Maybe then it'll sink in.

This sucks. So we will now get Miami once every 12 years at home. Ugh. How is that even a conference? Unless they eliminate the cross overs entirely. Then it would be once in 7 years and not so bad. That would mean a realignment though. Something like

Miami, FSU, Wake, MD, Pitt, SU, BC
UVA, VT, UNC, NC St, Duke, Clemson, GA Tech

So having 4 ACC games is worse than 3.5 games of Big East?

8 ACC league games allows us to modify our schedule and get more home dates. It also allows us to dumb down the OOC a bit to help to get bowl qualified.

Linky

I like it. 4 + 4. Only 4 teams OOC. This sets up perfectly for FB and Bball. Love the Bball rivalry games.