ACC now only going to do eight conference games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC now only going to do eight conference games

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying you don't want to play RU regularly as OOC games?

We should never play UConn or RU OOC. We gain nothing by playing either. I would like to see:

8 ACC games

Colgate

Rotating a 2 for 1 series with Tulane, Temple, UMass, Buffalo, Navy, and Army. These are teams that we can beat and have a large portion of the crowd.

A mid level BCS school in a nice location. ASU, UCLA, Washington, Vandy, Northwestern, TCU.

A name BCS program. ND, PSU, Michigan, Texas.

Going back to eight games also known as greasing the skids for Notre Dame football to slide into a confrence. By suspending the series with Michigan how many non-confrence "must have" games are there on the ND schedule? USC and Navy are the only untouchables which leaves two to rotate amongst a group of schools. Purdue better enjoy the games while they last because ND will drop that series like a hot potato.

Going back to eight games also known as greasing the skids for Notre Dame football to slide into a confrence. By suspending the series with Michigan how many non-confrence "must have" games are there on the ND schedule? USC and Navy are the only untouchables which leaves two to rotate amongst a group of schools. Purdue better enjoy the games while they last because ND will drop that series like a hot potato.

David Teel@DavidTeelatDP
Return to 8-game #ACC sked in football concession to #FSU, #Clemson. And perhaps bait for #NotreDame.

never again should we see rut or storz, NEVER.

SU has BC for New England and Pitt for another northeast game.

umass, army, buffalo, colgate and it appears albany is stepping up can all come to the Dome. i wouldnt mind Michie though.

Agreed, with 6 divisional games and 1 cross over (vs Pitt) - we'd only see one other ACC opponent a year. Does the ND game count as an ACC conference game (i.e. 1 of the 8)?

ND would NOT count as part of the 8. It would be an OOC game, since ND is still INDY for FB.

After reading through this thread I have come to one conclusion:

This conference scheduling is confusing stuff and I'll leave the speculation to the rest of you who seem to know a lot more than I do.

Go 'Cuse, beat Pitt. That's it.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/2197837-123/sec-athletic-directors-discuss-scheduling.html
Wake doesn't play UNC as its cross-over it plays Duke and while they may prefer to play each other it isn't a "rivalry"
The SEC is looking into scrapping guaranteed cross-over games except Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-Georgia.
Where did you hear the SEC is officially keeping it the status quo. I just think with staying at 8 conference games you need to scrap guaranteed cross-over games UNLESS for tradition like Bama-Tenn and Auburn-UGA, FSU-Miami, NCSU-UNC. So that the kids play at each stadium in conference at least once over a 4-5 yr career. Or else the conference is exactly what SU2NASA said it is 2 7 team divisions playing under 1 banner.

I know they play Duke and not UNC. I was alluding to the fact that they would have neither of them on a regular basis with your proposition. Wake Forest took one for the team during the last round of expansion. Their most played opponent was UNC currently at 104 games. Now their most played opponent is NC State currently at 105 games. Duke is third at 92. Fans of the four North Carolina schools see themselves as rivals and want to play each other.

I didn't know the SEC was considering that. I just know this season they are using the model the ACC will be using. I would also prefer 9 conference games to play everyone more. The problem is Clemson and FSU don't. If Notre Dame ever decides to go all in then 8 games is far more enticing to them than 9 games.

I believe Villanova is our 1-AA opponent next year, but you nailed our schedule. I wish the ACC would follow the SEC's model and only protect cross-over games that are necessary for tradition. like Alabama-Tennessee, Georgia-Auburn. The only 3 crossover games the ACC needs to protect are Florida State-Miami, NC State-North Carolina, and Clemson-Georgia Tech.

Negative.

We're playing Nova in 2014.

So every team plays the teams in the other conference division once every six years, but plays nd once every three years, but it's not a conference game.

Got it.

I know they play Duke and not UNC. I was alluding to the fact that they would have neither of them on a regular basis with your proposition. Wake Forest took one for the team during the last round of expansion. Their most played opponent was UNC currently at 104 games. Now their most played opponent is NC State currently at 105 games. Duke is third at 92. Fans of the four North Carolina schools see themselves as rivals and want to play each other.

I didn't know the SEC was considering that. I just know this season they are using the model the ACC will be using. I would also prefer 9 conference games to play everyone more. The problem is Clemson and FSU don't. If Notre Dame ever decides to go all in then 8 games is far more enticing to them than 9 games.
I don't think you understand my proposition then. Wake won't get UNC anymore with or without my solution. By getting rid of protected opponents except FSU-Miami, NCSU-UNC, then cross division matchups would have a lot more diversity having 2 different cross-opponents rather than just 1 with than 8 game schedule. Ask Wake would they rather host VPI, Ga. Tech more frequently or guarantee themselves a Duke home game every other year. If the ACC scrapped guaranteed cross over matchups this would benefit everybody and if they grandfathered UNC-NCSU and FSU-Miami and MAYBE Ga-Tech-Clemson then it would be a win/win for everybody else.

whoa...with SOS most likely important in selection of top 4 teams...I doubt ACC schools and 'Cuse are going to go after non-AQ schools...where this cannot be done than it will be...but this could in fact lead to better teams coming to 'Cuse.

Seems like the biggest downside is now we're only going to play Miami and VaTech once every six years. That kinda sucks, I was looking forward to renewing our old rivalries with them. But what can you do? I don't really care enough to get passionate about not playing UNC, UVA, Duke and GaTech more often. And no matter what we're still getting FSU and Clemson every year, so that's cool.

It's funny, so many people here have been so eager to launch into the "super conference" era of the sport. But when you do that --and make no mistake, a 14-team conference is a super conference -- then there are going to be scheduling compromises.

We should never play UConn or RU OOC. We gain nothing by playing either. I would like to see:

8 ACC games

Colgate

Rotating a 2 for 1 series with Tulane, Temple, UMass, Buffalo, Navy, and Army. These are teams that we can beat and have a large portion of the crowd.

A mid level BCS school in a nice location. ASU, UCLA, Washington, Vandy, Northwestern, TCU.

A name BCS program. ND, PSU, Michigan, Texas.

Agreed. Colgate should be reinstated as an annual game if possible. Then an Army/Buffalo/Umass level game. Then 2 BCS games, one low level and one relatively marquee name.

We should be scheduling with 2 sure fire Ws, 1 competitive BCS game and, and 1 reach game.

For those suggesting some crazy pod format, that can't be done, the NCAA will not allow it. Two divisions is all you can do if you want a championship game.

There was some talk of triads or something when CUSA and Mountain West were talking merger and the NCAA nixed it.

For those suggesting some crazy pod format, that can't be done, the NCAA will not allow it. Two divisions is all you can do if you want a championship game.

There was some talk of triads or something when CUSA and Mountain West were talking merger and the NCAA nixed it.

The NCAA doesn't mandate permanent divisions. So yes pods can be used to determine who is in what division.

So having 4 ACC games is worse than 3.5 games of Big East?

8 ACC league games allows us to modify our schedule and get more home dates. It also allows us to dumb down the OOC a bit to help to get bowl qualified.

Going from 9 to 8 conference games.

Remember when the party line about the NJ games was "yea, but look you'll still get the Miami's FSU'S, VT and Clemson once in awhile. Well some of those games just got stretched out more. How often do we get Miami at home? Plus, now we can schedule another OOC game, and with NJ hosting our good OOC games, you know the others will be uninteresting slugs so as not to overload the OOC schedule.

Color me as someone who isn't jumping up and down about 8 conference games.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well, crap. There goes 2/3 of kingottoiii's posts. ;)

Basically, the ACC for football is now two conferences of 7 with a cross-over scheduling agreement.
You're right. But look at the 6 teams you are guaranteed to play every year, plus the crossover rival. I'd say it's an upgrade, and a nice one, but that's only my opinion. This coming from someone (me) opposed to mega-conferences. I can only deal in reality. The new reality looks a lot better for Syracuse than the current and future Big East reality. As an NC State fan, and an old 'classic' ACC fan, I can honestly say that I don't really miss playing UVA and GA Tech every year as much as I am glad that we get to play Clemson, FL St, and UNC each year. Sure, the "easy" Duke game has been missed, but, in the end, it really is just Duke football (even with their seeming recent improvement, and their throttling of us last time out.) I think most Syracuse football fans will be happy with their future conference schedules.

Our new, regular ACC schedule will be very similar to our 90s-era Big East schedule, which I think was quite attractive. Here are the comparables, in my opinion:

ACC -- Big East

Florida State -- Miami
Clemson -- Virginia Tech
Boston College -- Boston College
Pittsburgh -- Pittsburgh
North Carolina State -- West Virginia
Maryland -- Rutgers
Wake Forest -- Temple

Seriously, King Otto needs to immediately meet with the ACC AD's to explain the POD concept and his suggested groupings.

I doubt FSU or Clemson need annual games against SU, BC, MD, Wake, NCSU.

And wouldn't the other schools like to play FSU and Clemson more than once every 6 years?

Everyone would benefit by playing every team at least once every 2 years which would make the schedules more interesting.

The MWC has 10 teams. CUSA has 14. They were talking about having four divisions of 6 with a conference semi and final. The NCAA said no, you can only have two divisions. The pods are not divisions. The pods determine who is in the TWO divisions.

whoa...with SOS most likely important in selection of top 4 teams...I doubt ACC schools and 'Cuse are going to go after non-AQ schools...where this cannot be done than it will be...but this could in fact lead to better teams coming to 'Cuse.
I like your optimism, but I don't think we're gonna need to worry about top 4 criteria for a while.

Schedule for wins, they make my weekend better.