ACC now only going to do eight conference games | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

ACC now only going to do eight conference games

OK, whatever, this is exhausting.

If they are the same then who cares? That means they are the same as when we liked our home schedule.

The issue is not the conference schedule, its the OOC schedule.

Argh.

I don't know why you took issue with what I said since you didn't say anything different. Maybe you should read my post again. It included "FSU and Clemson are known quantities." and also thast the home OOC schedule would drive things. You're confused somehow.

This keeps the Atlantic and Coastal Divisions mostly intact:

Atlantic Pod: BC, Clemson, Maryland, Syracuse
Coastal Pod: GT, Pitt, Virginia, VT
Swing Pod A: FSU, NC State, Wake
Swing Pod B: Duke, Miami, UNC

If the cross divisional matchups are maintained, Syracuse would play BC, Clemson, Maryland, and Pitt every year. Swing pod teams every other year. GT, Virginia, and VT every three years.

Wouldn't work. The 2nd biggest rivalry game in the ACC is UVA-UNC. They won't go to an every other year matchup. You are also forcing Clemson to play SU, BC, and MD every year which won't make them happy.

Some of you guys sound like politicians with all the spin. Everyone knows it was 1,000% the right decision to go to the ACC. Everyone knows the ACC opponents are better than the future NBE. But some of you talk like that is a murders row conference schedule. First of all, teams like BC, Md, NCST and Wake are no different than the BE teams we used to play and even no better than many we still do play. They will be decent sometimes and sometimes suck. All they are is "different". Year in and year out they are no better than the Lvilles, the Cincy's and depending upon the year, some others. Cetainly they aren't any better than WVU. Different name, different uniforms, that's all.

Second, in any given year they will not all be "good". There has to be teams that are middle of the pack or at the bottom. FSU and Clemson are known quantities. The others you can't just take their best season or seasons and think it will be like that every year.

So now, we get Miami and VT in the Dome (maybe) every 12 years. Big deal. It's an upgrade for sure in the schedule, but some act like it is some great and attractive schedule. The OOC games that are shceduled for the Dome will be the driver as to how attractive the home schedule is and will, along with winning more, help drive attendance or not. If the home (Dome) schedule is like the below, people won't be doing cartwheels. And there will be years like that unless we do something with the OOC schedule.

Clemson
BC
NCSt
Wake Forest
Akron
Maine

I think you're being simplistic about it when you say (to paraphrase), that there's no difference between Maryland and Cincy. I don't think Maryland sells the place out or anything like that. But I think people in Syracuse will find Maryland to be a much more interesting opponent than Cincy. Cincy was top 5, came in and played in front of 20,000 empty seats. Because their name makes, and will always make, people yawn. Same with Louisville, as much as I know that kills some of you. And they are our headliner!

The biggest difference between the middle of the pack in the Big East versus the ACC, is that SU fans are actually going to CARE about their conference itself, and our performance within it. I know we've been bad for most of it, but do you think a lot of casual SU fans ever checked the Big East standings? I know I rarely did. Since 2005, I've looked forward to the OOC games, and then it's almost deflating when we get to conference play. Not next year.

The whole thing is going to mean something now, and that will set everything apart. If we stay a doormat, then there's always that. But this move should also be helpful in moving us up, getting better players here.

Wouldn't work. The 2nd biggest rivalry game in the ACC is UVA-UNC. They won't go to an every other year matchup. You are also forcing Clemson to play SU, BC, and MD every year which won't make them happy.

UVA-UNC is the 2nd biggest rivarly game in the ACC???

I have no idea if any of these plans would work out, but I feel pretty confident in saying that telling UVA and UNC they can't play every year won't be as hard a sell as you think it will be. Tell UVA they can't play VT every year, and feet stomping tantrums will ensue.

UVA-UNC is the 2nd biggest rivarly game in the ACC???

I have no idea if any of these plans would work out, but I feel pretty confident in saying that telling UVA and UNC they can't play every year won't be as hard a sell as you think it will be. Tell UVA they can't play VT every year, and feet stomping tantrums will ensue.

5 years from now it will be the most played CFB game behind only Minny-Wiscy. They have played each other continuously since 1919 and have only missed 4 times since it started it 1892. There is no way they give that up.

5 years from now it will be the most played CFB game behind only Minny-Wiscy. They have played each other continuously since 1919 and have only missed 4 times since it started it 1892. There is no way they give that up.

So I would say 2nd longest, instead of 2nd biggest. I still wouldn't be surprised if neither is all that attached, should something more interesting be presented to them.

Most played BCS level game. I'm partial to The Rivalry, i.e. Lehigh-Lafayette, which is the longest and oldest continuous meeting between college football teams. The 148th meeting takes place next month.

If it is that important, they can schedule an OOC meeting every other year.

I wonder if they would be willing to do a N-S split going forward?

N- Miami, VT, UVA, Pitt, MD, SU, BC
S- FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC St, GA Tech, Wake, Duke

I think that would make more schools happy than the current setup. So SU would have Miami, VT, UVA, Pitt, MD, BC, and Wake every year. Then rotate a game vs the other 6. That is almost like the old BE vs old ACC. If you are going to basically have two conferences, why not use the old ones? When ND and RU/UConn come then they go to the N and move Miami to the S. That might be my ideal as an SU fan.

Miami BE vs Miami ACC
VT BE vs VT ACC
WV BE vs UVA ACC
BC BE vs BC ACC
Pitt BE vs Pitt ACC
RU BE vs MD ACC
Temple BE vs Wake ACC
Plus one more ACC and ND once in 3 years

Swapping MD/UVa for FSU/Miami, maybe this would be better:

Atlantic Pod: BC, Clemson, FSU, Syracuse
Coastal Pod: GT, Miami, Pitt, VT
Swing Pod A: Maryland, NC State, Wake
Swing Pod B: Duke, UNC, Virginia