ACC now only going to do eight conference games | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC now only going to do eight conference games

Thing is, we didn't hate VaTech until the mid-90s and then the series ended 7-8 years later.

No reason we wouldn't build the exact same thing with Clemson, assuming we're both good.

Exactly. I see Clemson (and even FSU) easily filling the VT (and Miami) holes of hated teams.

for those of you scoring at home:

Syracuse just signed up to play EVERY YEAR

bc
clemson
fla st
maryland
nc state
wake
pitt

Syracuse just signed up to play notre dame 1x EVERY 3 YEARS

Syracuse just signed up to play vpi and miami 1x EVERY 6 YEARS

and people are crying in their cheerios about it.

im more worried about who Syracuse will be playing in Giants Stadium in '15 and every year from '17 on.

Oh Lord

bc
clemson
fla st
maryland
nc state
wake
pitt

im more worried about who Syracuse will be playing in Giants Stadium in '15 and every year from '17 on.

Oh Lord

We've got a lot more to worry about than where we will be playing in 2018. Like beating Pitt on Friday night for example.

bc
clemson
fla st
maryland
nc state
wake
pitt

Oh Lord

Thanks for saying it. No kidding. People complaining about this schedule are just complainers and nothing will ever make them happy.

We’re only going to play Miami and VT once every 12 years, wah. We don’t play them now as it is, so this is better than nothing right.

How anyone can complain about this is beyond me. waaah

Florida State
Clemson
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Maryland
NC State
Wake Forest

And there’s little doubt we’ll now have 7 home games many years. [people will bitch about that to though.]

Ok I think this is the best solution. It is kinda long and in depth so you may want to skip this post.

Atlantic will have FSU every year
Coastal will have Miami every year

Pods will be made as so

A. Clemson, BC, Duke
B. VT, Pitt, NC St
C. GA Tech, SU, Wake
D. UVA, MD, UNC

The Atlantic gets (Coastal would get the opposite)

Year 1 A + B
Year 2 C + D
Year 3 A + C
Year 4 B + D
Year 5 A + D
Year 6 B + C

This allows FSU/Miami to play every team 3 times each over 6 seasons. So SU would get FSU/Miami at home 3 times in 12 years. Under the current set up we get Miami once in 12 at home and FSU six times. It is one less game in total but it is more balanced.

In division there would be 6 games which leaves room for 2 cross over games. Those would be split into rivalries like so:

Carolinas: UNC, NC St, Wake, Duke
North- Pitt, SU, BC, MD
Other- FSU, Miami, Clemson, VT, GA Tech, UVA

This allows the Carolina schools to play each other every year. Same for the North schools. So SU would play Pitt, BC, and MD every year just like the current setup. The other group would keep VT-UVA, FSU-Miami, and Clemson-GA Tech as yearly matchups. It would also keep as yearly matchups FSU-Clemson, FSU-GA Tech, VT-Miami. The rest of the games would be rotated among the 6 teams.

So for SU we would see:

FSU/Miami
One team every year which produces 3 home and 3 away over 12 years. Compared to the current setup of 6 home/6 away vs FSU and 1 home/1 away vs Miami.

GA Tech/Pitt/BC/MD/Wake
Each team every year which produces 6 home and 6 away over 12 years. Compared to Pitt/BC/MD/Wake 6 home/6 away and 1 home/1 away vs GA Tech.

Clemson/VT/UVA/UNC/NC St/Duke
Two teams each season once in three years. This produces 2 home and 2 away over 12 years. Compared to Clemson/NC St 6 home/6 away and VT/UVA/UNC/Duke 1 home/1 away.

FSU goes from 12 games to 6
Clemson/NC St go from 12 games to 4
Pitt/BC/MD/Wake stay at 12 games
ND stays at 4 games
VT/UVA/UNC/Duke go from 2 to 4 games
Miami goes from 2 games to 6
GA Tech goes from 2 games to 12

I like this as we play more teams more often. Also we play zero teams less often compared to ND. It is kinda silly that over 12 years we will play ND 4 times yet play six conference teams only twice over the same span. With the above we play no one less than ND.

My lord, Donald Southerland would be so proud of your work. Interesting stuff.

My lord, Donald Southerland would be so proud of your work. Interesting stuff.

This of course is taking an assumption that ND isn't coming in the next 12 years. If ND comes on board in 2016 then the current setup would only last 3 seasons and not be a big deal.

Ok I think this is the best solution. It is kinda long and in depth so you may want to skip this post.

-snip-

A simpler, but similar, solution:

1. Two four team pods, two three team pods
2. Form divisions by rotating through the two possible 4+3 combinations
3. 7th game: Permanent rivalry with one cross pod member (i.e. the pod that will never be matched)
4. 8th game: Rotate through the other 2 or 3 cross pod members.

Teams in 4 team pods would play:
4 teams every year (three intra pod + one cross pod rival)
6 teams every other year (three team pod members)
3 teams every third year (non-rival cross pod members)

Teams in 3 team pods would play:
3 teams every year (two intra pod + one cross pod rival)
10 teams every other year (four team pod members and non-rival cross pod members)

Thanks for saying it. No kidding. People complaining about this schedule are just complainers and nothing will ever make them happy.

We’re only going to play Miami and VT once every 12 years, wah. We don’t play them now as it is, so this is better than nothing right.

Florida State
Clemson
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Maryland
NC State
Wake Forest

And there’s little doubt we’ll now have 7 home games many years. [people will bitch about that to though.]

Yeah, but think of who we could be playing every year!...

Louisville
USF
San Diego State
SMU
Navy
Memphis
Rutgers

couchburn

What's the Patriot League's status on their "gradual transition" to scholarship football? How many years until they offer enough scholarships for us to count a win over Colgate as our annual FCS win towards bowl eligibility?

Patriot League schools can begin offering up to 15 scholarships per year next year (Class of 2017). They will transition up to a maximum of 60 scholarships by the time the 2016 rolls around.

What I don't know is how many scholarships an FCS school needs to award in order for its defeat at the hands of an FBS school allows that FBS school to count it for bowl eligibility.

What I don't know is how many scholarships an FCS school needs to award in order for its defeat at the hands of an FBS school allows that FBS school to count it for bowl eligibility.

Is Colgate going to offer that many? At one point there was speculation that Patriot football might break up because some didn't want to offer scholarships.

A simpler, but similar, solution:

1. Two four team pods, two three team pods
2. Form divisions by rotating through the two possible 4+3 combinations
3. 7th game: Permanent rivalry with one cross pod member (i.e. the pod that will never be matched)
4. 8th game: Rotate through the other 2 or 3 cross pod members.

Teams in 4 team pods would play:
4 teams every year (three intra pod + one cross pod rival)
6 teams every other year (three team pod members)
3 teams every third year (non-rival cross pod members)

Teams in 3 team pods would play:
3 teams every year (two intra pod + one cross pod rival)
10 teams every other year (four team pod members and non-rival cross pod members)

Mathematically that works out better but it might be difficult to create pods. You need to keep rivals and have it be competitively even.

A. FSU, GA Tech, SU
B. Miami, Clemson, BC
C. UNC, NC St, Wake, Duke
D. UVA, VT, Pitt, MD

This however would make FSU-Clemson an every other year game.

For SU it would mean

FSU, GA Tech, BC every year
Miami, Clemson, Pitt, MD, NC St, Wake, VT, UVA, UNC, Duke every other year

We would lose Pitt and MD as yearly opponents.

got that CNYers!!!

once a decade...dont go and rake your Fn leaves.

Hey, you already admitted you stopped coming up because they fired your beloved Coach P. And the reality is, if you are a supporter of the program, that is weaker sauce than raking leaves.

Hey, you already admitted you stopped coming up because they fired your beloved Coach P. And the reality is, if you are a supporter of the program, that is weaker sauce than raking leaves.
when and where did i ever say that??

and please address him as 'Future HOFer Coach P', thank you.

cant wait to see the post.

Just flip the NC State and Wake for Miami and Pitt. The Coastal would have Ga. Tech, Va. Tech, N. Carolina, NC State as decent schools. The other division would still get Florida recruiting as they would play in FL every other yr just like they do now with Miami and FSU. This would preserve all matchups. Florida State cares about 3 ACC games Miami, Clemson, and Ga. Tech. They only get 2 of those a year with Miami in the division they would get more chances to play in Atlanta and I doubt the Carolina mob and Virginia schools would care about being on the other side.
This would be like the old Big XII North/South split were the South dominated the conference championship game and it didn't hurt the conference nationally.

Florida State
Clemson
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Maryland
NC State
Wake Forest

Some of you guys sound like politicians with all the spin. Everyone knows it was 1,000% the right decision to go to the ACC. Everyone knows the ACC opponents are better than the future NBE. But some of you talk like that is a murders row conference schedule. First of all, teams like BC, Md, NCST and Wake are no different than the BE teams we used to play and even no better than many we still do play. They will be decent sometimes and sometimes suck. All they are is "different". Year in and year out they are no better than the Lvilles, the Cincy's and depending upon the year, some others. Cetainly they aren't any better than WVU. Different name, different uniforms, that's all.

Second, in any given year they will not all be "good". There has to be teams that are middle of the pack or at the bottom. FSU and Clemson are known quantities. The others you can't just take their best season or seasons and think it will be like that every year.

So now, we get Miami and VT in the Dome (maybe) every 12 years. Big deal. It's an upgrade for sure in the schedule, but some act like it is some great and attractive schedule. The OOC games that are shceduled for the Dome will be the driver as to how attractive the home schedule is and will, along with winning more, help drive attendance or not. If the home (Dome) schedule is like the below, people won't be doing cartwheels. And there will be years like that unless we do something with the OOC schedule.

Clemson
BC
NCSt
Wake Forest
Akron
Maine

So now, we get Miami and VT in the Dome (maybe) every 12 years. Big deal. It's an upgrade for sure in the schedule, but some act like it is some great and attractive schedule. The OOC games that are shceduled for the Dome will be the driver as to how attractive the home schedule is and will, along with winning more, help drive attendance or not. If the home (Dome) schedule is like the below, people won't be doing cartwheels. And there will be years like that unless we do something with the OOC schedule.

Clemson
BC
NCSt
Wake Forest
Akron
Maine

Wait, what if Clemson comes in ranked in the top 10 or top 15? How is that ANY different than if Virginia Tech comes in ranked the same? It will all depend on SU's status anyway. If we suck, like we have for a decade, no one is going to care regardless.

I think it's obvious that this ACC slate gets us back to where we were in the 90s. Assuming FSU has gotten back to perennial top 10 statuts, and Clemson is in that top 10-20 range, they are direct replacements for 90s Miami and VaTech.

The rest of the schedule will, as you say, act just like the rest of the BE back then. A mix of top 25s, decents, and dregs.

I understand you arguing the OOC stuff, and it's clear we have not maintained the same level of home opponets in recent years (as I posted about last week) but let's not muddy the issue. That *is* your issue. Complaining about the ACC schedule is silly.

Some of you guys sound like politicians with all the spin. Everyone knows it was 1,000% the right decision to go to the ACC. Everyone knows the ACC opponents are better than the future NBE. But some of you talk like that is a murders row conference schedule. First of all, teams like BC, Md, NCST and Wake are no different than the BE teams we used to play and even no better than many we still do play. They will be decent sometimes and sometimes suck. All they are is "different". Year in and year out they are no better than the Lvilles, the Cincy's and depending upon the year, some others. Cetainly they aren't any better than WVU. Different name, different uniforms, that's all.

Second, in any given year they will not all be "good". There has to be teams that are middle of the pack or at the bottom. FSU and Clemson are known quantities. The others you can't just take their best season or seasons and think it will be like that every year.

Clemson
BC
NCSt
Wake Forest
Akron
Maine
so that must mean there will be a game at Giants Stadium!!!! YEE-HAAAAA!!!

Wait, what if Clemson comes in ranked in the top 10 or top 15? How is that ANY different than if Virginia Tech comes in ranked the same? It will all depend on SU's status anyway. If we suck, like we have for a decade, no one is going to care regardless.

I think it's obvious that this ACC slate gets us back to where we were in the 90s. Assuming FSU has gotten back to perennial top 10 statuts, and Clemson is in that top 10-20 range, they are direct replacements for 90s Miami and VaTech.

The rest of the schedule will, as you say, act just like the rest of the BE back then. A mix of top 25s, decents, and dregs.

I understand you arguing the OOC stuff, and it's clear we have not maintained the same level of home opponets in recent years (as I posted about last week) but let's not muddy the issue. That *is* your issue. Complaining about the ACC schedule is silly.

I'm not talking about FSU or Clemson. It's all the rest who are different and new but not necessarily better than past BE teams and some of them probably worse as has been shown on the field numerous times. You can replace Clemson with VT in my list and it doesn't change my basic point.

A. FSU, GA Tech, SU
B. Miami, Clemson, BC
C. UNC, NC St, Wake, Duke
D. UVA, VT, Pitt, MD

This keeps the Atlantic and Coastal Divisions mostly intact:

Atlantic Pod: BC, Clemson, Maryland, Syracuse
Coastal Pod: GT, Pitt, Virginia, VT
Swing Pod A: FSU, NC State, Wake
Swing Pod B: Duke, Miami, UNC

If the cross divisional matchups are maintained, Syracuse would play BC, Clemson, Maryland, and Pitt every year. Swing pod teams every other year. GT, Virginia, and VT every three years.

so that must mean there will be a game at Giants Stadium!!!! YEE-HAAAAA!!!

Not necessarily. There is no guarantee of 7 "home" games in any one year. There can be years where it is 6/6.

Clemson
BC
NCSt
Wake Forest
Akron
Maine

That still leaves two open games bees. I’d guess one of those slots will be an annual home/away with a BCS school. The second game, could consist of ND, another BCS, another lower D1 team (UB/Army) and/or the occasional game at met life.

What’s really better about this set up is the likelyhood of 7 annual home games, which is fantastic - and that's what I like. I’d prefer to schedule down and get some home wins. Most CNYer’s prefer ‘brand name’ teams or they stay home and rake leaves.

And by the way, Miami is not any good right now either bees so you’re just complaining because of the name on the jersey to…and Beamer’s run at VT looks like it’s starting to trend down as well.

I'm not talking about FSU or Clemson. It's all the rest who are different and new but not necessarily better than past BE teams and some of them probably worse as has been shown on the field numerous times. You can replace Clemson with VT in my list and it doesn't change my basic point.

OK, whatever, this is exhausting.

If they are the same then who cares? That means they are the same as when we liked our home schedule.

The issue is not the conference schedule, its the OOC schedule.

Argh.

That still leaves two open games bees. I’d guess one of those slots will be an annual home/away with a BCS school. The second game, could consist of ND, another BCS, another lower D1 team (UB/Army) and/or the occasional game at met life.

What’s really better about this set up is the likelyhood of 7 annual home games, which is fantastic - and that's what I like. I’d prefer to schedule down and get some home wins. Most CNYer’s prefer ‘brand name’ teams or they stay home and rake leaves.

And by the way, Miami is not any good right now either bees so you’re just complaining because of the name on the jersey to…and Beamer’s run at VT looks like it’s starting to trend down as well.

That is why I said initially that the home OOC games would drive things. One less ACC game at home every other year has to be replaced by an equivalent or better. If it is replaced with Akron...bleech. And your points about VT and Miami only further strengthens my opinion.

Not necessarily. There is no guarantee of 7 "home" games in any one year. There can be years where it is 6/6.

6 home and 6 away is worst case scenario unless the AD’s office really has its head up its @ss.

then if thats the case, then i will be just as mad at the schedule right along with you.

and its not because of no Giants Stadium game, for one is not a guarantee.

but because basically in your scenario Syracuse is either on the road v 2 BCS teams or is on the road v 1 BCS team and bullspit team. and no way in hell should they be on the road for a bullspit team the same year they are at a BCS team and there is not a BCS team coming into the Dome.

and playing 2 BCS on the road is flat out Fn stoopid.