ACC official press release just went out | Syracusefan.com

ACC official press release just went out

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
http://www.theacc.com/genrel/091811aaa.html

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – The Atlantic Coast Conference Council of Presidents has unanimously voted to accept the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University as new members. The invitation followed the submission of letters of application from both universities.
“The ACC is a strong united conference that is only going to get better with the addition of the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University,” said Duke University President Richard Broadhead, chair of the ACC Council of Presidents. “Both schools are committed to competing at the highest level of academics and athletics. We welcome them as full partners in the ACC.”

Cantor's take

"We are very excited to be joining the ACC. This is a tremendous opportunity for Syracuse, and with its outstanding academic quality and athletic excellence, the ACC is a perfect fit for us," said Nancy Cantor, Chancellor and President of Syracuse University. "The ACC is home to excellent national research universities with very strong academic quality, and is a group that Syracuse will contribute to significantly and benefit from considerably. As a comprehensive, all-sports conference, the ACC provides Syracuse tremendous opportunities for quality competition and growth in all sports, while also renewing some of our historic rivalries. This move will also bolster our continued efforts to look outward, engage, and extend Syracuse’s reach to key areas of the country, including the southeast, as we grow and expand our national connections to alumni, partners and the students of the future. We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC, a region in which we have built strong identity and affinity, and we look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple. Overall, for Syracuse, this opportunity provides long-term conference stability in what is an uncertain, evolving, and rapidly shifting national landscape."

In the spirit of a communications school, her quote was twice as long as Nordenburg's ;)

Incredible. Yesterday morning, who could have ever thought we would be ACC members within 24 hours?

Thanks for the quotes. This has really happened and we have been accepted. I am excited yet still sad that we are no longer part of the big east. I think the mixed emotions will last for a little while.

I dont think it is truly official until UConn files suit against someone...but yeah this is the level of confirmation I wanted before I truly believed it.

this has happened so quickly

holy , this actually happened. Big-time kudos to Gross and Cantor on this effort.

WOW! Maybe since we were burned last time I still was suspect about it really happening. What's the Big Apple quote by Nancy C mean? Maybe a Meadowlans kind of deal with MSG where we play 2-3 games there every year?

SyrACCuse is born!

Great day for Syracuse Sports!!

i dont know if this has been said or listed anywhere else..but whats the time table on how long till we are playing acc conference games? 3-4 years?

i dont know if this has been said or listed anywhere else..but whats the time table on how long till we are playing acc conference games? 3-4 years?

One report said next year we will be playing games. That 27 months thing isn't set in stone. Plus why would the Big East want us around for 27 months, they gotta get new schools in themselves as fast as possible to get that TV deal worked out

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/091811aaa.html

Cantor's take

In the spirit of a communications school, her quote was twice as long as Nordenburg's ;)
Her press release explains the move quite well: (1) it aligns the University with some strong academic institutions such as Duke, UVA, Wake Forest and UNC; (2) it renews important old rivalries such as Va Tech, BC, MD and of course, BC; (3) it further expands the reach of the University for new students, teachers and alums; (4) it provides access to an all-sports organization and (5) it enhances SU's athletic competitivness.

Her statement makes the case quite well.

Her press release explains the move quite well: (1) it aligns the University with some strong academic institutions such as Duke, UVA, Wake Forest and UNC; (2) it renews important old rivalries such as Va Tech, BC, MD and of course, BC; (3) it further expands the reach of the University for new students, teachers and alums; (4) it provides access to an all-sports organization and (5) it enhances SU's athletic competitivness.

Her statement makes the case quite well.

It was a good quote. No doubt. I was just commenting on the depth of it in comparison to that from her Pitt counterpart.

One report said next year we will be playing games. That 27 months thing isn't set in stone. Plus why would the Big East want us around for 27 months, they gotta get new schools in themselves as fast as possible to get that TV deal worked out

It's $5 million up front OR a 27 month wait with no exit fee - I expect SU & Pitt will pay $5 million and be in ACC next year.

yea i get what youre sayin..thanks

WOW! Maybe since we were burned last time I still was suspect about it really happening. What's the Big Apple quote by Nancy C mean? Maybe a Meadowlans kind of deal with MSG where we play 2-3 games there every year?

Just spin. We, and the ACC, want this to be seen as delivering all of NY state. Most people outside the northeast, and some within, hav no idea how far Syracuse is from NYC. So it's just a press release talking point I imagine. Though I fully expect hoops to be playng a couple games in NYC each year -- probably home-and-homes with STJ and an early seasn tourney that ends at MSG or in Brooklyn.