ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 162 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

need is the wrong word, they know they have acc rights on the cheap for 13 more years. I think espn wants there endgame to be a combo sec-acc at some point closer to 2036. at our next look in unless the economy is in a recession we will get another bump to stay 3rd
Yeah, but they need to make sure the acc survives as is, or risk of losing valued content to big10/fo
I know people will say there is a slim chance, but the chance is definitely a lot higher than a week ago

In the game of musical chairs, doesn’t bode well to watch everyone else play and then expect a chair to be left at the end of the game for you

Again no. The schools individually signed away those rights irrespective of whether they're still in the ACC, and the ACC subsequently contracted them to ESPN. If the ACC goes away ESPN still has them.
Btw what makes you think a simple majority can dissolve the ACC?
I’ve read that the ACC is a non profit in NC and NC only requires a majority of parties to vote to dissolve a non profit. That would be the reasoning that a majority could dissolve the conference irrespective of what the bylaws say.

What I can’t grasp is that by effectively separating the biggies from the larger group of smaller programs, you’re actually shrinking the market. The degree to which everyone is massively investing into and positioning around a shrinking market is goofy. Viewership will be down. Broadcast rights will be down. Salaries will be down. They’ll be ripe for some type of disintermediation from the nfl which will continue to lessen the product from the standpoint of what has made it historically valuable. There’s no shortage of sports content. People will put their passion elsewhere. Add in the revolving door of players and I really wish I could find some way to financially bet against it.

This won’t happen immediately and a lot of folks (the lawyer/consultants primary) are gonna make a ton in the near term, but that’s the reality of it.

I thought it was 75% vote required…. 10.5 (11) teams.
I don’t have the conference contract. Not 100% sure what it says.

We know from painful experience that adding a member takes 75%.

Anyone who thinks a conference would set things up so dissolution is markedly easier than adding new members is mistaken. This is stuff the realignment freaks make up so they can get around that GOR problem that just won‘t go away.

I would be really surprised if the ACC did not require unanimous agreement to dissolve. It certainly would require more than a simple majority.

Haven’t seen this document posted on the Internet. Anyone have a link to it or at least a link detailing the dissolution clause in the ACC contract from a reputable source?

What I can’t grasp is that by effectively separating the biggies from the larger group of smaller programs, you’re actually shrinking the market. The degree to which everyone is massively investing into and positioning around a shrinking market is goofy. Viewership will be down. Broadcast rights will be down. Salaries will be down. They’ll be ripe for some type of disintermediation from the nfl which will continue to lessen the product from the standpoint of what has made it historically valuable. There’s no shortage of sports content. People will put their passion elsewhere. Add in the revolving door of players and I really wish I could find some way to financially bet against it.

This won’t happen immediately and a lot of folks (the lawyer/consultants primary) are gonna make a ton in the near term, but that’s the reality of it.
They are aiming to end up with 70+/- teams in the top division. They realize it needs to be inclusive of just about everybody that has any claim to be part of it so as to not kill the fan spirit of college sports.

I’ve been saying the same thing - 100 percent spot on. They are going to be carving up bigger pieces of a shrinking pie. Making college football a 40 team sport isn’t the genius move they think it is.

Anyone who thinks a conference would set things up so dissolution is markedly easier than adding new members is mistaken. This is stuff the realignment freaks make up so they can get around that GOR problem that just won‘t go away.

I would be really surprised if the ACC did not require unanimous agreement to dissolve. It certainly would require more than a simple majority.

Haven’t seen this document posted on the Internet. Anyone have a link to it or at least a link detailing the dissolution clause in the ACC contract from a reputable source?

I don't agree with how FSU is doing things, but they are trying to compete financially. It really is a crucial time for any football program wanting to keep up with the bastards in the B1G and SEC. So, maybe FSU stirring the pot with a seemingly unbreakable GOR letting ESPN know that they are on the cusp of losing a solid property isn't a bad thing.
Agreed. What other options do they have? It's a business and they need funding to stay competitive.

FWIW, the B12 bylaws (which are public) requires 75 percent to dissolve.

I responded to your comments individually so you would know which one I was referring to. Not sure how I can make them any more clear.
Well, he said the other offer they were considering involved sending his teams to Syracuse.

As usual, you are correct, the wannabe internet “experts” on Conference Realignment should stop. If it was easy, it would have been done by now.

To add to your point, even if the ACC is dissolved, ESPN can enforce the GOR against each school individually as each school signed the GOR individually, granting power to the ACC to sign the GOR. Thus, dissolution of the ACC is immaterial to the matter. This fact makes it hard to reason how ESPN is going to harm one property, the ACC, just to pay FSU (or Clemson, UNC, UVA, et Al.) more money in another property, the SEC.

I didn’t find an answer in the document. ?!

Neither did I. The only thing close was any amendment would take everyone’s approval.

Well, he said the other offer they were considering involved sending his teams to Syracuse.
Huh? Who said what where?

Last edited:
Wow I’m very pleasantly surprised to see how many schools are behind us.

And that’s not cherry picked info, in the sense it’s not one good/best year out of 10. That’s over a stretch with some rough seasons.

video from arizona state mentions not wanting to send teams accross the counting to syracuse
I can't tell which poster responding to me is talking about who, or why I was even quoted. Be specific here, people!

Yes, I agree. The big 12 will look east for their next round of expansion. I’m just concerned Syracuse will be in the running for one of the last spots if they end at 20 teams because Pitt and Louisville are certainly ahead of us.

Then there is Virginia Tech in NC State if they don’t go to the SEC. They would also be ahead of us.

Duke and Georgia tech if they don’t go to the big 10. They will also be ahead of us.

It’s entirely possible, we end up back in the big east and part of a modified AAC conference for football. It all really depends on how large the Big Ten, SEC, and big 12 want to get.

If I’m being honest, the only ACC teams we are ahead of as far as super conference desirability is Boston College and Wake Forest
We all need to get a grip. This is an amazing perspective on the FSU ridiculousness from the Raleigh News and Observer reporter:

Neither did I. The only thing close was any amendment would take everyone’s approval.
If the GOR is silent as to dissolution procedures then I’d think it would default to the conference bylaws.

I’m pretty sure 8 schools can vote to dissolve the GOR and eliminate the exit fee.

This article is atrocious.

As usual, you are correct, the wannabe internet “experts” on Conference Realignment should stop. If it was easy, it would have been done by now.
To add to your point, even if the ACC is dissolved, ESPN can enforce the GOR against each school individually as each school signed the GOR individually, granting power to the ACC to sign the GOR. Thus, dissolution of the ACC is immaterial to the matter. This fact makes it hard to reason how ESPN is going to harm one property, the ACC, just to pay FSU (or Clemson, UNC, UVA, et Al.) more money in another property, the SEC.
I’m not a legal expert, so bear with me here. But the GOR agreement that I saw was between the schools and the ACC. The ESPN media agreement was referenced but ESPN was not party or signatory to the GOR. So the ESPN agreement is a separate contract between ESPN and the ACC. Have you seen the media agreement with ESPN and are the schools individual signatories to that as well?

This article is atrocious.
I only posted it for the 8 school reference but that’s not the only place I’ve seen it. So ignore the rest of it because that wasn’t the point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom