ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 272 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Not looking to the "we are saved" posts either honestly. Nice cash bump while it lasts.

It's certainly a kick the can down the road scenario for sure but for the moment changes the landscape and should restart the clock for a couple years unless FSU and Clemson want to send a 1.6 B stimulus to the conference.

It would be nice if the ACC refs start screwing FSU.
Teams should just forfeit any games with Florida St, Clemson, North Carolina, and NC St.
That would effectively eliminate them from the playoffs.
All the forfeits would destroy their SOS, and make them get a low seed when they go to 12.

It's certainly a kick the can down the road scenario for sure but for the moment changes the landscape and should restart the clock for a couple years unless FSU and Clemson want to send a 1.6 B stimulus to the conference.
I think the ACC wants to get to 2030 or so and be able to backfill. I figure 2-4 teams are gone by 2032.

I think the ACC wants to get to 2030 or so and be able to backfill. I figure 2-4 teams are gone by 2032.

The way things have gone that seems like an eternity but even 2028 being when things heat back up ain't bad.

I guess I hope we add Stanford & Cal but it makes me sick to know they killed the PAC-12. I lived in LA for 6 years and the PAC-12 was awesome.
SMU is such a weird addition. I get it’s about the Dallas / TX market but it’s so dumb for SMU to play in the ACC.

If the teams that don’t want expansion can be compensated to stay how much money would it take?
Looks like SMU donors have a ton of money to throw around. I’m just saying that perhaps they name their price and increase the longevity of the GOR five more years. It makes sense to me to ask them this question

The two best mascot in college sports are Otto and The Tree. When/if Calford joins the ACC, the presser needs to feature a photo op of them meeting and hugging.
That would be an awesome photo shoot and imagine

I guess I hope we add Stanford & Cal but it makes me sick to know they killed the PAC-12. I lived in LA for 6 years and the PAC-12 was awesome.
SMU is such a weird addition. I get it’s about the Dallas / TX market but it’s so dumb for SMU to play in the ACC.
not anymore dumb than ucla and usc to play in the Bigten

If the teams that don’t want expansion can be compensated to stay how much money would it take?
Looks like SMU donors have a ton of money to throw around. I’m just saying that perhaps they name their price and increase the longevity of the GOR five more years. It makes sense to me to ask them this question
I didn't have "SMU Saves The ACC" on my bingo card.

Most fans want to stay in the ACC. The fear, that I share, is that with the yearly increase in the financial divide it will make it harder to compete. What I mean by that is perception. There is already constant talk about the Power 2 so how long will it be before elite recruits only want to play in those two conferences. Once that happens, it will be extremely difficult to keep up and win at a consistent high level.
At some point, you have to bloom where you are planted. Want the ACC to prosper? Work to get more ACC teams up to par. Clemson wasn’t always good. FSU looks to be getting sone of their previous mojo back - time will tell. Miami had great years. GTech, Pitt, VT, UNC all have potential to be impactful on the national scene. And yes, even Syracuse - who seems to go in 15-20 year cycles could be a player again. But in this age of instant gratification, jumping at the next bag of cash is short-sighted and counter productive. It’s up to the ACC teams to raise the performance of the ACC - and it’s not all about money.

Most fans want to stay in the ACC. The fear, that I share, is that with the yearly increase in the financial divide it will make it harder to compete. What I mean by that is perception. There is already constant talk about the Power 2 so how long will it be before elite recruits only want to play in those two conferences. Once that happens, it will be extremely difficult to keep up and win at a consistent high level.
Yeah, there’s no way to run a competitive football program when a school is only making $40-50 million a year in media rights. And has a bottomless pit of booster money.

Do people even hear themselves?

Who gives a crap if Indiana and Ole Miss make more media money? There’s like 8 programs in those 2 conferences that Clemson competes with for national HS recruits and big name transfers. They can’t hoard all of them.

We are so through the looking glass with this nonsense.

Yeah, there’s no way to run a competitive football program when a school is only making $40-50 million a year in media rights. And has a bottomless pit of booster money.

Who gives a crap if Indiana and Ole Miss make more media money? There’s like 8 programs in those 2 conferences that Clemson competes with for national HS recruits and big name transfers. They can’t hoard all of them.

I think long after I’m gone, there will be quite a 30 for 30 on all this.

Where does it end?

Programs buying private jets for players - so that they can fly mom and dad to Dubai for the weekend?

Perhaps in addition to the indoor playing field, lazy river and players lounge - colleges will build a space station for players? So that they can rehab in zero gravity?

This is a couple years old and includes most of the big guys but it's also a good example of the perceptions that come about you noted. You can spend a lot of money and not see the results as compared to your peers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I didn't have "SMU Saves The ACC" on my bingo card.
Can anyone explain why the ACC finds SMU the least bit attractive? A small private school that delivers no eyeballs. I don't get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom