ACC Preseason Poll | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Preseason Poll

Year 7 of Dino...and we are picked to finish dead last.

and have had 1 winning season.

if someone predicted that future for 2022 in 2016, i would have post shamed and laughed you off the board so fast...damn.

yet it is I who is the fool.

starting a TE at QB is his answer...SMH...

NURSE!!!

I zag here...that season was so awesome, that's like what Syracuse Football is about...every once in a while.

It was awesome and that's how I choose to think about things.

Better said, "you get what you pay for"

I think it’s so weird that we can have:

- the best RB in the ACC maybe country, Heisman contender
- an NFL LT
- a top 2 LB corp in the ACC
- an NFL CB and a top duo at CB

And people are like yeah, last in the division

(Questions with the passing game, DL obviously - but it’s still nuts)
Depth. We have pieces to compete with the best if it's just the 1's vs 1's. Usually by the second half of the schedule, our 2's and 3's don't seem on par with other schools. That and a QB who hasn't shown much consistency in the air, and our offense becomes predictable/one dimensional.

We are improved but what team in the ACC is finishing behind us? We'll have a better sense what Louisville is immediately but this is a gauntlet division this year. I hope we win 1-2 games in conference and take care of business outside of the conference

I know points don't tell the whole story but every ACC team scored at least 30 on us last year except for BC who was starting a 3rd or 4th string QB and Clemson who struggled offensively. Not sure we can ask our our O to score 30 plus a game in ACC play.

There simply are just too make variables to make accurate predictions - injuries, coaching changes, player chemistry, bad luck. Heck even weather and officiating. All I know is no season ever goes the way it is predicted. Some teams will be better than we thought, others will be worse.

The one constant is that if SU wins games, people will say it “was a down year for the conference.”

The Louisville game will tell us everything we want to know.

I think it will tell us ALOT on how prepared these new coordinators are to hit the ground running. Preparation is something they can work on now and get optimized for game 1.

I want to see a game plan that's coherent, game coaching that's intelligent and a team knowing where they should be on snap 1. That'll be clear vs Louisville. If we are outtalented i'll accept that and move on. But i hate when we shoot ourselves in the foot with strategy and management.

I think it’s so weird that we can have:

- the best RB in the ACC maybe country, Heisman contender
- an NFL LT
- a top 2 LB corp in the ACC
- an NFL CB and a top duo at CB

And people are like yeah, last in the division

(Questions with the passing game, DL obviously - but it’s still nuts)

Because we seemingly find a way to finish last or close to it every year. Until we prove we can string together more than one good season every decade we will be picked at or near the bottom of the league every year.

Last edited:
I think the 2018 team was picked last also. Voting is all based on the previous year or years. What did we realistically expect, to be picked 2nd behind Clemson? Let's just play good, solid football and good things will happen. We turn around one of those close losses last year to a win and we go 3-2 in close games and are 6-6 and in a bowl. We are excruciating close to being at least 6-6 and maybe a lot better than that. LGO!

Because we seemingly find a way to finish last or close to it every year. Until we prove we can string together more than one good season every decade we will be picked at or near the bottom of the league every year.
I agree. Just pointing out the disconnect between what people think of our players and what the ACC media think of our chances.

Getting picked last is normal, getting picked last with our personnel is odd

The Louisville game will tell us everything we want to know.
Respectfully, I believe it will only tell us about the one game. We could lose, and then UL’s QB goes down the next game and they go 3-9. What did the game tell us. We could win by 20 and then UL gets better as the season goes on and finishes 9-3. What did we learn.

The season is a body of work.

I agree. Just pointing out the disconnect between what people think of our players and what the ACC media think of our chances.

Getting picked last is normal, getting picked last with our personnel is odd
I think the issue is that the 4 things you mentioned could all be true, and we could still go 2-6 in conference. Needless to say, the upside of those four areas could be more than offset by QB, WR, TE, OL, DL and ST.

As I often say, in the 90s even Rutgers and Temple put players in the NFL. That didn't prevent them from being awful programs overall.

I think the issue is that the 4 things you mentioned could all be true, and we could still go 2-6 in conference. Needless to say, the upside of those four areas could be more than offset by QB, WR, TE, OL, DL and ST.

As I often say, in the 90s even Rutgers and Temple put players in the NFL. That didn't prevent them from being awful programs overall.
We’ll see. It’ll be fun.

Respectfully, I believe it will only tell us about the one game. We could lose, and then UL’s QB goes down the next game and they go 3-9. What did the game tell us. We could win by 20 and then UL gets better as the season goes on and finishes 9-3. What did we learn.

The season is a body of work.
If we have no passing game vs Ville, it tells me all I need to know.

Coaching cost us at least one game last year, one could argue 2 or 3. We should have at least gone bowling

If the OC remembers to use Tucker and Dino improves on time outs and time management we win 8

Those programs dealt w a cultural loser persona which also worked against them

I’m afraid our program suffers from being Syracuse: perpetual basement dweller and auto win for other programs. That mentality has to change right out of the gates. If we find ways to lose Vs an lville team that has equal talent things tend to get exposed more and more.

I always think of 97 season where they lost early three in a row (2 absurdly close ones) and then just remembered they were S fng U and rattled off some of the most impressive wins I remember from SU.

The school needs to find that identity again and become the storm again

Only one thing left to do…

1659004698271.gif

Coaching cost us at least one game last year, one could argue 2 or 3. We should have at least gone bowling

If the OC remembers to use Tucker and Dino improves on time outs and time management we win 8
I always wonder about the lack of specificity with these comments … the last time someone used a 50/50 call vs Clemson as proof and then the board went back and forth on what the right decision was until it was clear it was 50/50 and basically unlucky

I always wonder about the lack of specificity with these comments … the last time someone used a 50/50 call vs Clemson as proof and then the board went back and forth on what the right decision was until it was clear it was 50/50 and basically unlucky
The one game I was referring to was Rutgers. How do you not run Tucker in the second half? That was insane and no excuse for it. That win wouldn’t have helped us with ACC standings but we would have gone bowling

FSU, Wake and Clemson one could argue were lost on coaching. I’m not going to say we’d win for sure but there were definitely some boneheaded time management decisions.