ACC QB Numbers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC QB Numbers

Odd question - should 17/17 with 3 TDs and more yards be rated higher than 17/17 with fewer TDs and less yards? I’d say yes.

was someone else 17/17 with 3 tds and more yards?

was someone else 17/17 with 3 tds and more yards?

Not sure but your question was how could someone be better than 17/17. It isn’t rocket science that completion number isn’t the only factor. Otherwise, del Rio would have the top QBR at 1/1.

Not sure but your question was how could someone be better than 17/17. It isn’t rocket science that completion number isn’t the only factor. Otherwise, del Rio would have the top QBR at 1/1.

the question was in relation to the grades where he came in 3rd place last week.

i just dont know how he could have done worse than anyone else last week. i get the competition. but he still played perfect. and i highly doubt anyone else did.

the question was in relation to the grades where he came in 3rd place last week.

i just dont know how he could have done worse than anyone else last week. i get the competition. but he still played perfect. and i highly doubt anyone else did.
It's been explained. The grade looks at more than stats. Did you ignore the posts that said that earlier?

It's been explained. The grade looks at more than stats. Did you ignore the posts that said that earlier?

but when the stats are literally perfect, how can 2 people do better than that? unless there is a wild "degree of difficulty" factor. like a wild 1, it doesnt make sense.

is GS being punished for scoring a 1 yard TD?

This isnt that complicated.

but when the stats are literally perfect, how can 2 people do better than that? unless there is a wild "degree of difficulty" factor. like a wild 1, it doesnt make sense.

It’s not complicated to read the explanation above nor see what other players did.

He’s not being punished per se, I think that’s your hang up potentially. If someone else ran in a 25 yard TD past 4 opponents and broke 2 tackles but threw one incomplete pass in the game as well. They might rate higher.

Or. A varsity FB team plays the worst team in the league but it’s also the JV squad which also has 8th graders b/c they have no modified team. They win…. Umm, let’s say 0-59 at home. Play essentially mistake free football. The next week they play a D-3 college and win 28 - 17 on the road. They don’t play mistake free football and don’t pull ahead till the 4th Q.

Which win is better?

I’ll try to explain the grades. I won’t use Martinez because the grades they show are for passing and running. Martinez came in first not because of passing but mainly his running where he ran for almost 200 yards and 3 TDs. For just passing he was below Maye and Shrader. But Maye graded slightly higher than Shrader in both overall and passing. So I’ll compare those two and show what metrics might have put Maye slightly higher although he didn’t complete every pass like Shrader did. Maye graded 92 and Shrader 91.3 for passing only.

Big time throws Maye 3 Shrader 0
Ave depth of target Maye 12.8 Shrader 7.9
Hit as throwing Maye 1 Shrader 0
Intentional throw aways Maye 2 Shrader 0
Drops Maye 1 Shrader 0
Pressures on the QB Maye 13 Shrader 1
Forced to scramble Maye 9 Shrader 0

Those are some of the things that probably got Maye a higher grade. I have no idea how heavily or lightly any of their metrics count. I only know their grading is more than just atts and completions.

I’ll try to explain the grades. I won’t use Martinez because the grades they show are for passing and running. Martinez came in first not because of passing but mainly his running where he ran for almost 200 yards and 3 TDs. For just passing he was below Maye and Shrader. But Maye graded slightly higher than Shrader in both overall and passing. So I’ll compare those two and show what metrics might have put Maye slightly higher although he didn’t complete every pass like Shrader did. Maye graded 92 and Shrader 91.3 for passing only.

Big time throws Maye 3 Shrader 0
Ave depth of target Maye 12.8 Shrader 7.9
Hit as throwing Maye 1 Shrader 0
Intentional throw aways Maye 2 Shrader 0
Drops Maye 1 Shrader 0
Pressures on the QB Maye 13 Shrader 1
Forced to scramble Maye 9 Shrader 0

Those are some of the things that probably got Maye a higher grade. I have no idea how heavily or lightly any of their metrics count. I only know their grading is more than just atts and completions.
yup alot of subjectivity was well. big time throws are rewarded but that doesnt really mean it was a better throw it was just defined as harder. Much like thowing a ball that was caught 20 yds down field gets a better grade than 10 yds

yup alot of subjectivity was well. big time throws are rewarded but that doesnt really mean it was a better throw it was just defined as harder. Much like thowing a ball that was caught 20 yds down field gets a better grade than 10 yds

Huh? A lot of subjectivity? Like not much at all.

Just like average depth of target changes the grade. If you throw a 50 yard bomb, it'll be graded higher than a 5 yard dump off with 45 yards of yac. Simple yards per completion or per attempt don't differentiate that.

Riley Leonard is really good.
Yeah as is Drake Maye. True freshman that we are going to have to deal with in the league for how ever many years. With the divisions going away we likely end up playing all the best QBs in the league next year. ACC will stack our schedule.

Riley Leonard is really good.
Maybe David Cutcliffe's last achievement before leaving Duke was to convince Riley to go to Duke instead of Syracuse.

As it turned out, this might have been for the best for all involved.

Tony Elliott does not look good here. Looks like he held DJ back with his awful scheme and pass calling and has destroyed Armstrong.

Just the opposite of Robert Anae.
You don't usually get such a good natural experiment in sports but this sure shows the importance of scheme and play calling, it's often denied around here because play calling isn't measurable directly

Oh come on with that grade, his efficiency has made this season fun but I don't know how anyone gives that high a grade for last week
I don't understand how PFF calculates quarterback ratings, but I did find this:

Someone smarter than me can maybe figure out how he got an '88.0' for last Saturday.

FYI - This is a different calculation, but ESPN had Shrader's QBR as 61.5 for the day.

1666804997709.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom