ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte

For Football Charlotte makes the most sense. Given weather and proximity to the majority of the football schools.

For Basketball DC makes the most sense. Easier to get to for most BBall fans.

I think DC is the bigger stage so maybe the ACC should move there and have the ACC CG at Fedex and ACC Tourney at Capital One.

Fed Ex needs to get leveled but the local NFL franchise seems to be screwing up their next move. Charlotte's football scene currently is better.

MD is small potatoes. Plenty of ACC schools have a large presence in the DC area. It is also easier to get to that Charlotte for the BBall fan bases. Football it isn't ideal. But DC is > Charlotte as a stage.
I would love to see DC as the center of the ACC. Not going to happen but wish it could. Play the ACC tournament there every year. (Right!) Play the football championship there every year. (Ha!)
The independent home for the conference. Our nation’s Capitol. Perfect for the ACC. Again, not going to happen.

Raleigh-Durham would be the most logical choice with a good size and growing metro and 3 teams in the Triangle but it will probably be Charlotte.
Agreed. From my experience Charlotte is just not nearly “ACC country” to the same extent that Raleigh-Durham is. ACC b-ball(NOT college b-ball...that doesn’t really exist beyond the ACC) is the number 1 sport in that region. Not so much in Charlotte - that’s a pro sports city first IMO.

Though Charlotte gets it out of Duke/NC State’s towns and is closer to “neutral” ground. I think those are the top 2 options.

DC - i just don’t think that city cares that much. Same with Atlanta.

NYC would be better than DC and ATL.

Agreed. From my experience Charlotte is just not nearly “ACC country” to the same extent that Raleigh-Durham is. ACC b-ball(NOT college b-ball...that doesn’t really exist beyond the ACC) is the number 1 sport in that region. Not so much in Charlotte - that’s a pro sports city first IMO.

Though Charlotte gets it out of Duke/NC State’s towns and is closer to “neutral” ground. I think those are the top 2 options.

Need to be close to neutral. Playing the FB and BBall championships where NC State plays is far from that.

Is it important if “the city” cares? Headquarters are nothing more than an office. But ACC championship games in any city along the eastern seaboard, with the possible exception of Boston, would bring people in from all conference locales. It wouldn’t be reliant on locals. And what better stage than DC? (Or NYC. But that also isn’t going to happen.)

NYC doesn’t scream ACC tbh. I know we want it because it’s MSG but for the whole conference the best spot is Charlotte imo

Probably Charlotte.
But, I would prefer Northern Virginia - Reston or Fairfax
State has 2 ACC members.
Proximity to Nation's Capital
Proximity to Washington Dulles

Have to believe it will be either Charlotte, NC or Washington, DC. Atlanta, GA and a couple of cities in FL meet the criteria but don't resonate as well as Charlotte or DC.
Charlotte is what popped in my head when I read the criteria. I wonder if it is also a cheaper place to have a headquarters than the others you mentioned. It has to be cheaper than DC or NYC. I wonder how it compares to Atlanta? I also wonder if moving to Atlanta would be moving to SEC country. I know Ga Tech is there, but UGA owns the state.

If the ACC is anything like the IOC they will take bribes from cities looking to win the bid for the headquarters. Syracuse needs to put together a bid that can be said no to. ;)
We can’t even do that with recruits.

Which airport is bigger and more important? I haven't lived in NC in this century and so do not know. Charlotte is more important in most ways, such as banking.
Charlotte-Douglas is a major INTERNATIONAL hub and HQ for American Airlines. It's a top 3-4 financial center and HQ for Bank of America. As per my neighbor who works for ESPN here in CLT, the ACCN will eventually be here permanently, probably as part of a new contract.
There's a continuing rivalry between The Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) and Charlotte. CLT has pro teams in the 2 major sports (Panthers/Hornets) and a healthy number of NE and Midwest transplants- everyone here is from somewhere else.
If the ACC wants a major footprint that'll guarantee viability for the conference for decades to come, you gotta move the HQ to Charlotte. JMHO

Last edited:
If the ACC is anything like the IOC they will take bribes from cities looking to win the bid for the headquarters. Syracuse needs to put together a bid that can be said no to. ;)
We MiGhT HavE aN 85 Million DolLar AquaRiUm.. hows that for a sexy bribe

Charlotte-Douglas is a major INTERNATIONAL hub, and HQ for American Airlines. It's a top 3-4 financial center and HQ for Bank of America. As per my neighbor who works for ESPN here in CLT, the ACCN will eventually be here permanently, probably as part of a new contract.
There's a continuing rivalry between The Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) and Charlotte. CLT has pro teams in the 2 major sports (Panthers/Hornets) and a healthy number of NE and Midwest transplants- everyone here is from somewhere else.
If the ACC wants a major footprint that'll guarantee viability for the conference for decades to come, you gotta move the HQ to Charlotte. JMHO
Ditto the research triangle, almost everyone is from somewhere else. I visit a friend in CARY at least once a year. There drawback is RDU is not near the hub that Charlotte or Hartsfield are

Charlotte. There is no second based on the stated criteria.

Ditto the research triangle, almost everyone is from somewhere else. I visit a friend in CARY at least once a year. There drawback is RDU is not near the hub that Charlotte or Hartsfield are
Yeah, and the triangle is also the seat of state govt. But Charlotte is like the red-headed stepchild for all of Carolina. When BOA first set up shop here it was literally a one horse, podunk town. Once the bank money entered the picture, Charlotte started booming w/ transplants, developments, etc. It really just figures that it’d be the next BIG thing on the Atlantic Coast and entire South East.