ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte

Which airport is bigger and more important? I haven't lived in NC in this century and so do not know. Charlotte is more important in most ways, such as banking.
Charlotte Airport is bigger and a major Hub for I believe American (use to be US Air hub). Charlotte has a bigger banking sector but why would that matter as the RDU area leads in multiple other sectors such as tech, research, universities, etc? Apple is getting ready to open their east coast HQ in RTP. RDU has 3 schools in the ACC located there where the closest to Charlotte is WF or maybe Clemson.

This is why I think they need to get it out of North Carolina. Lose that damn Tobacco Road image once and for all.

Oddly, Charlotte is the only very large metropolitan area between Washington DC and Atlanta so it makes sense to move there. Greensboro metropolitan area is smaller than Albany, NY. Raleigh/Durham metropolitan area is smaller than Providence.
That's not even remotely true.

Raleigh/Durham area is 10x larger than Providence (over 2MM), and continues to grow exponentially.

That's not even remotely true.

Raleigh/Durham area is 10x larger than Providence (over 2MM), and continues to grow exponentially.

10x larger? The Providence metro area has a population of 1.5M. You can't use the metro area population for Raleigh-Durham and then compare it strictly to the population of the city limits of Providence.

Charlotte Airport is bigger and a major Hub for I believe American (use to be US Air hub). Charlotte has a bigger banking sector but why would that matter as the RDU area leads in multiple other sectors such as tech, research, universities, etc? Apple is getting ready to open their east coast HQ in RTP. RDU has 3 schools in the ACC located there where the closest to Charlotte is WF or maybe Clemson.
If the ACC had wanted the Head Quarters to be in Raleigh they could have done that decades ago. Probably because there are 3 ACC schools in Raleigh is why the didn't. I think they stay with a city where there is no ACC school located but within close proximity. Charlotte.

Ideally you want the ACC CG to be in an NFL stadium and not at the state fairgrounds.

If the ACC had wanted the Head Quarters to be in Raleigh they could have done that decades ago. Probably because there are 3 ACC schools in Raleigh is why the didn't. I think they stay with a city where there is no ACC school located but within close proximity. Charlotte.
With your line of thinking they could have just a easily moved it to Charlotte or any other city decades ago...... Why would having an ACC Team in Raleigh effect the HQ being in Raleigh? BE was in Providence where Providence is or the Big 10 is in Chicago I believe, where NW is.

So the ACC conference championships need to be played in same city as HQ?
It isn't a requirement but it makes sense. Why have a central home and never be there?

10x larger? The Providence metro area has a population of 1.5M. You can't use the metro area population for Raleigh-Durham and then compare it strictly to the population of the city limits of Providence.
Alright, it's not a debatable point. The Raleigh-Durham population by itself is larger than the population of the entire state of Rhode Island. Not sure why this matters as the ACC Headquarters is not going to relocate to Providence.

The tax base of potentially moving the ACC outside of NC - say to DC or NYC will make it a non-decision.

Last edited:
Alright, it's not a debatable point. The Raleigh-Durham population by itself is larger than the entire state of Rhode Island. Not sure why this matters as the ACC Headquarters is not going to relocate to Providence.

The tax base of potentially moving the ACC outside of NC - say to DC or NYC will make it a non-decision.

It doesn't matter and of course the ACC headquarters would not relocate to Providence (nor anywhere in the Northeast, for that matter). Just pointing out that the Raleigh-Durham metro area is nowhere close to 10x the size of the Providence metro area. It's not even double the size.

Alright, it's not a debatable point. The Raleigh-Durham population by itself is larger than the entire state of Rhode Island. Not sure why this matters as the ACC Headquarters is not going to relocate to Providence.

Wrong again. Raleigh and Durham combined have a population of 750,000. Rhode Island about 1.1 million.

Wrong again. Raleigh and Durham combined have a population of 750,000. Rhode Island about 1.1 million.
Correction. This is a fact and needs to be put to bed.
The entire population of the metro area of Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill, NC area which includes the Triangle (RTP) is 2.03 million. That is the combined statistical metro area which includes three ACC schools.

Correction. This is a fact and needs to be put to bed.
The entire population of the metro area of Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill, NC area which includes the Triangle (RTP) is 2.03 million. That is the combined statistical metro area which includes three ACC schools.

I figured I would put this here:

TV DMA
Providence 0.619M
Raleigh 1.237M
Charlotte 1.291M
Miami 1.693M
DC 2.566M
Atlanta 2.649M

I am sure that the ACCN has ratings for each of those cities. That would give you a better indicator of where the ACC fans live. Atlanta is a bigger city than Charlotte but if there are more ACCN viewers in Charlotte, that would be a good indication that it is a better spot of ACC fans to descend on for championships.

I figured I would put this here:

TV DMA
Providence 0.619M
Raleigh 1.237M
Charlotte 1.291M
Miami 1.693M
DC 2.566M
Atlanta 2.649M

I am sure that the ACCN has ratings for each of those cities. That would give you a better indicator of where the ACC fans live. Atlanta is a bigger city than Charlotte but if there are more ACCN viewers in Charlotte, that would be a good indication that it is a better spot of ACC fans to descend on for championships.

Headquarters is different than championship games location though, right? I'd expect the ACC to continue to rotate championship game locations. Given that schools in the conference are located along the entire eastern seaboard, it would seem to make sense to keep it that way.

If the ACC is anything like the IOC they will take bribes from cities looking to win the bid for the headquarters. Syracuse needs to put together a bid that can be said no to. ;)
Paging Mr Weistman, Mr Adam Weitsman.

With your line of thinking they could have just a easily moved it to Charlotte or any other city decades ago... Why would having an ACC Team in Raleigh effect the HQ being in Raleigh? BE was in Providence where Providence is or the Big 10 is in Chicago I believe, where NW is.
Maybe because Swofford, who became commissioner in 1997, played at and graduated from UNC. HQ in Raleigh, may have given an impression of bias. Greensboro is neutral ground in NC with four in state teams in the conference. Charlotte would be neutral ground also.

Headquarters is different than championship games location though, right? I'd expect the ACC to continue to rotate championship game locations. Given that schools in the conference are located along the entire eastern seaboard, it would seem to make sense to keep it that way.
It doesn't have to be but like I said earlier if you have a home, shouldn't you play there?

Using the same central location for Olympic sport championships makes it easier for everyone. You don't need to scout locations, find accommodations, practice fields, etc. Schools won't have to travel to Miami one year, New York another, Atlanta the next, etc.

If schools aren't going to travel there, is there even a need for a nearby airport?

Tampa might not be a bad idea either. Not hard to get to. Weather for championships will be good. Although it might be too hot for Lax. Who wouldn't want to go to an ACCT with nice weather outside in early March? Or an ACCG in early December? It is relatively neutral. FSU would have an advantage in football. No other conference has a claim like the SEC does with ATL.

I don't like that the ACCT is always changing locations. It would be nice to have a permanent home as long as it isn't Greensboro.

It doesn't have to be but like I said earlier if you have a home, shouldn't you play there?

Using the same central location for Olympic sport championships makes it easier for everyone. You don't need to scout locations, find accommodations, practice fields, etc. Schools won't have to travel to Miami one year, New York another, Atlanta the next, etc.

If schools aren't going to travel there, is there even a need for a nearby airport?

Tampa might not be a bad idea either. Not hard to get to. Weather for championships will be good. Although it might be too hot for Lax. Who wouldn't want to go to an ACCT with nice weather outside in early March? Or an ACCG in early December? It is relatively neutral. FSU would have an advantage in football. No other conference has a claim like the SEC does with ATL.

I don't like that the ACCT is always changing locations. It would be nice to have a permanent home as long as it isn't Greensboro.
Have you ever watched the ACCTs for the Olympic Sports? They are usually held on the campus of an ACC school.
And for swim and dive, which SU no longer has, the championship will probably stay in Greensboro as they have a new facility that the NCAA uses for championships.
Moving the Head Quarters doesn't mean they are locating all the tournaments to that city.

Maybe because Swofford, who became commissioner in 1997, played at and graduated from UNC. HQ in Raleigh, may have given an impression of bias. Greensboro is neutral ground in NC with four in state teams in the conference. Charlotte would be neutral ground also.
Nothing about North Carolina suggests “neutral” to me.

Have you ever watched the ACCTs for the Olympic Sports? They are usually held on the campus of an ACC school.
And for swim and dive, which SU no longer has, the championship will probably stay in Greensboro as they have a new facility that the NCAA uses for championships.
Moving the Head Quarters doesn't mean they are locating all the tournaments to that city.
Agreed. For the HQ, it’s just about perception. The FB And BB championships don’t have to be played in that city. Those should be in a neutral - as neutral as possible - site that is centrally located.

For better or worse Charlotte is a "halfback" city, as in; "half way back between NY and Florida". And of course we're now members of an ACC that stretches up-n-down the East coast
Most transplants move to Charlotte because they don't want to go too far South, and yet wanna be far enough away from the crappy weather and expensive quality of life in the NE.
This city has grown by leaps and bounds in my 10 years here, and shows no signs of stopping. Its an oasis from the "old" South, and is a conflagration of many different attitudes, people, & perspectives.
Believe you me I had no idea what Charlotte was like before moving here, but like many others who end up staying, once I saw what this place was all about, I never looked back. And if I wanna go visit NY-NJ-Phila, it's a 45 min flight. Absolute no-brainer to move HQ to Charlotte.

Agreed. For the HQ, it’s just about perception. The FB And BB championships don’t have to be played in that city. Those should be in a neutral - as neutral as possible - site that is centrally located.
The center of the ACC is pretty much Greensboro. But that certainly isn't neutral. The next closest South is Charlotte and the next closest North is DC. Charlotte is closer to neutral than Greensboro. DC is neutral but is further away from the center.

Here is an article about the conference centers.

How about Binghamton
- Binghamton regional currently has one flight a day so plenty of room for extra traffic.
- Alumni Stadium could easily be upgraded from its current 5k to about 80
- Its on 81 so it’s an easy 9 hour drive to the Carolina Schools.
-I’ve been driving 150 miles a pop every SU home game so I deserve it.